shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you ever browse ebay gemstones for entertainment?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, it''s probably a new low in distraction activities.

And yes, I''ve bought gemstones off of there occassionally (and carefully).

But well, I was bored and decide to just browse gemstones... and found myself laughing and chucking.

There was the ''crystal clear'' gemstone that looked like a marble ... and probably was.

''Rare'' purple Spess.

100''s of ''museum quality'' (because again, they are glass) 40 plus carat stones.

The "superior" rubies that are so included that they are opaque and solid.

Now I''m not anywhere near an expert on gemstones... but some of these are just plain FUNNY.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, browsing Ebay can be quite entertaining. I bought some real stinkers off Ebay when I first started buying loose gemstones.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Rofl, I know what you mean Gypsy. Probably more for me with diamonds, but only as I haven''t looked yet for gems.
Which is also what I loved about " the good, the bad and the ugly" thread (can''t recall the new name sorry)...often the descriptions are funnier than the images..

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So ... do they even bother to create the yellow sapphires in a lab, or do they just get a bunch of really inexpensive citrines and wait for someone with bad eyesight?

Marcy, I made a couple of mistakes, fortunately cheap ones, as well.

Yes, the diamonds are entertaining... but (usually) all white... with gemstones there is color and different shapes and CREATIVITY.

I thought the 10mm 'tsavorite' that was obviously (a brown tinged) peridot was amusing. Especially as the one seller had apparently stolen the pic from another... who at least admitted it was a peridot.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ebay can be a wonderful source for gemstones if you know what you're doing and you know who to buy from. Some of my favorite gems of all time came from ebay. Unfortunately, ebay gets a bad rap because of all the unscrupulous gem dealers who sell sythesized, heavily treated and blah colors as something quite different. However, you can't beat the variety, and it is fun to browse.

karend26

Shiny_Rock
Hi! I''m new to this forum and looking to buy my first loose gemstone, I''m thinking blue sapphire.

So who are the good ebay sellers?

Thanks for the advice!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/10/2009 9:42:41 AM
Author: karend26
Hi! I'm new to this forum and looking to buy my first loose gemstone, I'm thinking blue sapphire.

So who are the good ebay sellers?

Thanks for the advice!!
I would advise not to buy sapphires or rubies on ebay, or any stone that typically undergoes tons of treatments or synthesizing. I also stay away from emeralds on ebay. There are a couple of sellers that sell relatively inexpensive sapphires on ebay that are probably untreated, vallejo918 is a seller that comes to mind. He sells small sapphires that he cuts from rough he obtains. I have one of his sapphires which isn't drop dead gorgeous blue, but it turns teal in sunlight and it's nicely cut. I have no doubt it's natural in color.

However, if you see a Thai dealer with sapphires or rubies, I would stay away. There might be some that are legit, but more often than not, this is not the case. One of the cutters that posts on this forum had a great thread about how the Thai dealers make the synthetic stones look natural by tumbling them, and doing all other kinds of things. Many of these sapphires are diffused (dyed) as well.

Sapphires, rubies and emeralds in fine qualities should really be purchased from reputable dealers that specialize, or have a good reputation, with these stones IMHO.

karend26

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Tourmaline Lover!!! One more question, what should I expect to pay for say a 3-4 carat good quality blue sapphire? Looking through the sites of the different vendors, prices vary so much!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/10/2009 10:16:40 AM
Author: karend26
Thanks Tourmaline Lover!!! One more question, what should I expect to pay for say a 3-4 carat good quality blue sapphire? Looking through the sites of the different vendors, prices vary so much!
That's a loaded question, but depending on the color grade and if it's heat treated (gentle heat only), the price variance is really too great. The typical blue Ceylon sapphire of nice (not top gem, but nice) quality is generally around $2000/ct, but in larger sizes it can be more. Once you get into more vivid blues and larger sizes, the sky is the limit.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have purchased tons of stones on eBay. Many duds but there are a few pretties in there. I second Tourmaline_Lover's recommendation of vallejo918. His stones are nicely cut and I can trust what he tells me they are. I have a Rubelite from him and I just bought a gold diamond cut tourmaline (didn't get here yet).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/10/2009 10:52:32 AM
Author: CharmyPoo
I have purchased tons of stones on eBay. Many duds but there are a few pretties in there. I second Tourmaline_Lover''s recommendation of vallejo918. His stones are nicely cut and I can trust what he tells me they are. I have a Rubelite from him and I just bought a gold diamond cut tourmaline (didn''t get here yet).
I''m not getting anything when I search for this seller. Does he just not have anything listed now? If he does, can you please link it for me? Thanks!

karend26

Shiny_Rock
I have tried searching for vallejo918 on ebay but haven''t been able to find him. Am I doing something wrong or does he maybe not have anything posted right now???

Thanks so much for all the help!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/10/2009 10:52:32 AM
Author: CharmyPoo
I have purchased tons of stones on eBay. Many duds but there are a few pretties in there. I second Tourmaline_Lover's recommendation of vallejo918. His stones are nicely cut and I can trust what he tells me they are. I have a Rubelite from him and I just bought a gold diamond cut tourmaline (didn't get here yet).
I don't know if I would recommend him with 100% complete honesty. He and I have very different opinions on color, so you do have to be careful. He sold me an aqua that he said was of medium color, and it was actually too light. He sold me a red zircon that he said was a vibrant red color, and it actually is very dark. However, one of my very favorite stones is from him, a rubellite which I have since set and just adore. His pictures stink, so it's difficult to tell what is good and what is a dud. However, his stones are all nicely cut and no windows.

ETA: Sorry, his user id is vallejo916. . . not 918.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love to peruse Ebay for the entertainment value........ and the fact that I have stumbled onto some real winners that I could not have found elsewhere for the same price/ quality. It is fun to chuckle over some of the junk ebay listings! Oh some of the lies the sellers tell...........
20.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have only purchased 2 stones from him and got 1 (the one that I didn't actually like the cut of - too fancy for my liking). It was better quality than the average eBay seller plus he is actually in the US. My stone was nicer in color than what was pictured. I will report back after I get my second stone. He doesn't have anything for sale right now but he tends to post a bunch of stones all at once.

Overall, I definetly have more crap than good stuff from eBay. As long as you don't go too crazy, it is worth the risk. Most are used to refunds or partial refunds.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Checkout vallejo916''s completed listings, and you can email him about any of those stones available that didn''t sell.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been browsing ebay for bi-colored tourmalines, just to see more pictures of what they look like. I''ve got a bunch of them on my watch list to see what they go for at the end. Is there a way to tell if it''s glass-or is it that big of a deal to just spend $40 to see what you end up with?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think once you find a trusted seller, it''s important to see if they have a stone of your liking. There are some sellers that also sell duds and gems. For example, there''s one seller that I think probably has very nice tourmalines, but I don''t trust this seller''s sapphires and rubies AT ALL. Be really leary of photoshopped items as well. Bi-colored tourmalines tend to be heavily photshopped.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Vallejo had an iolite I was interested in.

I'm on a buying ban right now... but I have a couple of sellers I like. I did buy a couple of citrine's a couple of weeks ago I just got into the mail and was very happy with. The seller has a peridot I want too, but I have to wait.

I like the US sellers and prefer them because of cutting and shipping and communication. But I have bought from a couple of overseas sellers too I've been happy iwth. But my 'bum' purchases have also been from overseas sellers, and the shipping is usually higher than US sellers.

My next purchases are probably going to be a Cab of some sort, a step cut, a peridot, and possibly a couple of small spinel's for stacking rings from Maggie.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm pretty excited about this ebay purchase I just made.
31.gif

I have been looking for this exact color for eons on ebay, and everytime one of the cutters we all know and love gets this in, it sells in 2 seconds, or it's pre-sold. It's also a nice size. I love the color and cutting so much, the inclusion doesn't bother me at all.

2.55 ct neon minty bluish green Afghan tourmaline USA cut.

neonmintyafghani.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
TL, that colour is divine!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s a gorgeous color TL! Is it just to play with or are you going to set it?

I do have another question-Is there a way to tell if a picture has been photoshopped? Some of the pictures I''ve seen don''t seem quite "right", but I''ve not actually seen bi-colored tourmalines IRL, so I don''t exactly have a basis for comparison.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/11/2009 12:37:28 PM
Author: packrat
That's a gorgeous color TL! Is it just to play with or are you going to set it?

I do have another question-Is there a way to tell if a picture has been photoshopped? Some of the pictures I've seen don't seem quite 'right', but I've not actually seen bi-colored tourmalines IRL, so I don't exactly have a basis for comparison.
Thank you Packrat. If it looks as nice as the photo, and because it's a big size, I will definitely set it. That stone is too pretty to sit in a box. I cannot tell you how many times I've missed out on this exact color, but I have been searching for it for eons. I'm pretty excited. If it turns out to be a dud, I'll return it, I don't think this seller would want to risk his perfect feedback. I have to admit that I didn't ask any questions about this stone, and I grabbed it right away. It was just listed, and I had a feeling it wouldn't be around for long. I am taking a gamble here, but for what I paid, I think it's worth it. He emailed me to tell me that it's shipping out on Monday, I'm pretty giddy. I love his stone descriptions as well, he's very truthful. He will tell you if a stone is commercial quality, has a brown modifier, etc. .

If a stone looks too good to be true, or overly saturated, it might be photoshopped. I don't use photoshop, but many PS'ers do, so if you have a stone in question, paste the link here or a picture, and people will be able to tell you if it's been enhanced, or if there are other issues with the stone. Some pictures are obviously photoshopped, and you can spot that a mile away. Dealers will sometimes also photograph a stone in absolutely optimal light conditions as well to make it look much better than it seems, nothing wrong with that, but just ask questions about how the stone looks in various light setups.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/11/2009 12:50:36 AM
Author: LaurenThePartier
TL, that colour is divine!
Thanks Lauren,
I''m soooo excited.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks TL! I''ll keep that in mind as I''m looking-I would very much appreciate the help!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, cute thread Gypsy!!!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. PS takes up enough time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results