shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you do Keratin treatments on your hair?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have just had one done for the second time. The process is long 3-4 hours because my stylist colors and trims too. I had one last July and it lasted probably until October. I have fine curly hair to my mid back and in the winter frizz is a problem. Having Keratin TX helps but it is expensive. I hate putting tons of product on and I only wash my hair every other day.

I know there are lots of ladies here with long hair and just wondered if you do the treatments. Do you keep getting them? Do you like how they make your hair feel? My hair is so soft afterwards. My stylist says they should last 5 months because I get the heat set TX instead of the fast one.

:wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never have but wanted to years ago and my hairdresser refused saying it would be too harsh for my hair. I have long fine curly hair too and I just let it go natural. I shampoo and condition with products with minimum ingredients and then apply a drop of curly gel from Ouidad to minimize frizz as it dries naturally. No hair dryer used and no harsh chemicals. I also wash my hair every other day.

I wonder if the keratin treatments are less harsh now. In any case I try to minimize any chemicals on my hair due to all my sensitivities.

I am following this thread and interested in other's experiences. Glad it is working well for you.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of the woman I used to work with swore by these treatments. She lived in Houston but was in our office multiple times a month. She had commented that the treatments were the thing that kept her hair from being a frizzy mess due to the humidity. Her hair ALWAYS looked beautiful. I have no idea if they were good for your hair or not.

I have a question for you Red. Do these treatments smell awful while they are doing them? I was in the salon last summer and the fumes were so bad I seriously worried about breathing them. I can't remember what they were doing but for some reason I thought it was a Keratin treatment.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Callie, Tuey said the smell is awful and I am sensitive to smells too. I just remembered he also said since my hair is so fine it would make it super flat. Red, could you post a photo of your hair? I would love to see how fine curly hair looks after the treatment.You could post a back only photo so no identifying characteristics.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey thanks missy! I had wondered about the harshness too but it doesn't appear so. I have gotten far less breakage last summer and fall. My hair seems much stronger which as you know fine curly hair breaks easy. I never blow dry or straighten so no heat on mine. I have terribly sensitive skin and my scalp is no exception but this has been fine. If you like I can get the brand name so you can check it out online. My stylist seems to be cheaper to do the TX than other bigger salons I see in the bigger city next door, but it is still $125 - so my bill walking out was $220. She uses it on herself because she has curly hair also, though hers is much coarser.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I have never had a keratin treatment.
Another good treatment/product for breakage/damage is Olaplex. It is typically a salon treatment (steps 1 and 2), but I figured out how to purchase it and I do it myself. Step 3 can be purchased by anyone and is used at home in between salon treatments.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1486912147|4127756 said:
Hey thanks missy! I had wondered about the harshness too but it doesn't appear so. I have gotten far less breakage last summer and fall. My hair seems much stronger which as you know fine curly hair breaks easy. I never blow dry or straighten so no heat on mine. I have terribly sensitive skin and my scalp is no exception but this has been fine. If you like I can get the brand name so you can check it out online. My stylist seems to be cheaper to do the TX than other bigger salons I see in the bigger city next door, but it is still $125 - so my bill walking out was $220. She uses it on herself because she has curly hair also, though hers is much coarser.

Thanks for the info. I don't like my hair straight anymore and prefer it curly now that I figured out how to manage it. LOL it only took me a decade to figure it out. My hair was super straight until I reached my twenties and them seemingly overnight it became curly. So weird. But it took me all of my twenties to figure out how to deal with my curly hair and goodness knows no stylist was helpful because curly hair just wasn't "IN" at the time. I managed to figure it out though somehow and now I just prefer it curly. But I was interested in how you are finding the treatments and it sounds good. Plus I think that cost is very reasonable but of course being in NYC I am just used to higher costs in general. Don't ask how much hair cuts cost here. :shock: :lol:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, The fumes were so bad in the salon my eyes were burning. Everyone in the salon was complaining. The stylist I see made the comment that they needed better ventilation system if they were going to continue doing the treatment. Like I said above, I think it was a Keratin treatment that was being done at the time.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well here is a crappy pic from just now. I have not picked it or anything else so it is just woke up hair. :lol:

Until 25 my hair was just wavy, but not cool wavy like Farrah Fawcet, ugly ridiculous wavy so bad I would get perms. After I had my kids it got spirally curly. The TXs seem to calm that down a bit. The biggest thing for me is that I am able to run my fingers, and a pick, through it when dry. If you have hair like mine you probably never use a brush and only use a pick when it is wet.

ETA - I do love how shiny it is and that seems to last.

20170212_071616_1_.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the photo. Pretty hair!

And yes you are right. I cannot run a comb or brush through my hair when dry. And when wet I only use a special comb to comb the Ouidad curly gel through it and then I use my dh's clean undershirt and gently scrunch it with that and just allow my hair to air dry. Easy peasy and works for me. I have given up on the dream of straight hair and finally realized for me curly looks better.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1486913558|4127767 said:

And yes you are right. I cannot run a comb or brush through my hair when dry. And when wet I only use a special comb to comb the Ouidad curly gel through it and then I use my dh's clean undershirt and gently scrunch it with that and just allow my hair to air dry. Easy peasy and works for me. I have given up on the dream of straight hair and finally realized for me curly looks better.

Thank you! I use Ouidad gel also. My stylist straightens my hair when she colors and cuts to make sure the cut is even. DH doesn't like it that way. I feel like it makes my head look so small and bald because it is so thin. :lol:

ETA - As to smell I did not notice anything terrible - especially not as bad as perms.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66 said:

Thank you! I use Ouidad gel also. My stylist straightens my hair when she colors and cuts to make sure the cut is even. DH doesn't like it that way. I feel like it makes my head look so small and bald because it is so thin. :lol:

OMG yes. OK side by side. You can see why I prefer curly over straight for me. However it doesn't always look so good curly and as you know curly hair is like having multiple personality disorder hair. You just never know what you are gonna get. :???:

First photo taken yesterday after my haircut with Tuey. It is the only time it is ever blown straight since he doesn't really know how to manage it curly. Now I just hope it is cut even when I wash and let it air dry curly tomorrow. LOL.

_39031.jpg

_39032.jpg

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1486911817|4127753 said:
One of the woman I used to work with swore by these treatments. She lived in Houston but was in our office multiple times a month. She had commented that the treatments were the thing that kept her hair from being a frizzy mess due to the humidity. Her hair ALWAYS looked beautiful. I have no idea if they were good for your hair or not.

I have a question for you Red. Do these treatments smell awful while they are doing them? I was in the salon last summer and the fumes were so bad I seriously worried about breathing them. I can't remember what they were doing but for some reason I thought it was a Keratin treatment.

Callie I noticed no foul or overpowering smell. Perms are terrible and maybe that is what you were smelling? They burn your nose! :lol:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1486914125|4127773 said:
redwood66 said:

OMG yes. OK side by side. You can see why I prefer curly over straight for me. However it doesn't always look so good curly and as you know curly hair is like having multiple personality disorder hair. You just never know what you are gonna get. :???:

First photo taken yesterday after my haircut with Tuey. It is the only time it is ever blown straight since he doesn't really know how to manage it curly. Now I just hope it is cut even when I wash and let it air dry curly tomorrow. LOL.

You have beautiful hair! It appears much thicker than mine. When mine is straight it is like a layer of tissue paper on my head. Well maybe that is an exaggeration but yours looks much thicker even when straight. :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Redwood. My hair is super fine/thin but I do have a lot of it. It's getting to be less and less though as I get older. ::)

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do have to add that with the heat set Keratin you cannot let your hair get wet for 72 hours. And it is a bit greasy by that third day for sure. Worth it though. Just glad I do not have to go to work!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Red. :wavey: I used to do all sorts of Japanese straightening and keratin treatments. My hair is thick, wavy and frizzy with breakage. I stopped using salon treatments and began 'co-washing' (conditioner only) every other day or so and using sulfate free shampoo only about once a week. Shampooing is very drying. I also added this http://www.keratincomplex.com/vitalshot into my hair regimen, it's an at-home keratin treatment I purchase from Amazon (~$5/use) and apply every three weeks or so. Since I started using this and not shampooing frequently, I find my hair is much shinier and manageable with no frizz at all :dance: . My friends cannot believe I even had frizz!! I also just purchased Moroccan Oil intense Hydrating treatment to try. Haven't used it yet, but I'll report my results back. It has great reviews both online and from my friends. Good luck!

Missy! Your hair looks gorgeous!!!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Sandeek! I have tried the co-wash but it seemed that my scalp had issues with doing it. My scalp may need a better cleaning than once a week maybe? Thanks for the link. I get most of my hair products through Amazon.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I do the Japanese straightening. My hair is super thick and so coarse that it gives me a rash if I let it air dry and sleep on it. It doesn't really have any curl, just kink and frizz. I used to travel to NYC for work and would get the treatment done twice a year. I once let all of the chemicals grow out of my hair for two years just so I could make an appt at a salon in NYC that specializes in curly hair. They looked at it and told me to go back to Japanese straightening! :o

Once I had kids and stopped working, it became much harder to get to NYC and I managed to find someone locally. She doesn't do as great a job and is more expensive (for the treatment itself, not counting airfare/hotel). I so wish I could let my hair go natural, but I look like I have a dozen Brillo pads on my head!! My hubby calls me Medusa! :errrr:

I only wash my hair twice a week and deep condition at least once a month. My hair is so coarse that it's fairly indestructible, lol.

So, I guess I'll stick with Japanese straightening until something better comes along. Sigh.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What type of treatments is your stylist using? Most of the ones out there that straighten VERY well have formaldehyde which is why you see some people wearing masks when applying.

I'm not going to say not do it. I did it a few times and it triggered asthma attacks (hey, lesson learned!) but find out the brand and research it.

@yennyfire I have Type 3c-4a,b and lots and lots of strands so I feel your pain. I don't do chemical straightening anymore. I was waiting like 20-30 weeks in between which tells me I shouldn't even bother. That was about 6 years ago.

In the evening I spray a little rose water and jojoba oil in my hair then put it in twists before bed. Once I week I do a heavy DC. Just slap it on stick on a plastic cap and go do some housework for an hour. I cowash BUT I use black soap on my scalp once or twice a month, or when I feel like I have buildup. My scalp is very oily. My hair is like the damn Sahara though. The conflict is real. :errrr:

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
Yes! My stylist uses the Goldwell formaldehyde free treatment - she won’t use any of the treatments the contain formaldehyde or similar chemicals. I have long, fine hair with irregular waves and a decent amount of frizz. The treatment keeps my hair smooth, reduces the waves, and makes it much easier to style (no straightening necessary for about 3 months). I've used some at-home keratin treatments, but none seem to last past a couple of washes.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have been getting them for probably 7 years. Maybe longer. I used to get the full one that lasted 6+ months. You can't wash your hair for 72 hours after so the downtime became a problem. I get the express now and can wash it 8 hours after the treatment. I get them twice a year and it makes a HUGE difference. I can actually air dry my hair without frizz. I can tell when it is starting to wear off. It is suppose to last 4 months but I stretch it to 6. I am very careful about using sulfate free stuff. I have never had problems but agree the smell is kinda gross until I wash it. I have a sensitive nose.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I wonder if it would work on my beard if I decided to bring the gandalf look back :think: :lol:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: Is your beard very coarse? It might make it softer. LOL.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
redwood66|1486964504|4128004 said:
:lol: Is your beard very coarse? It might make it softer. LOL.

Coarse to the point that I stopped using razors 7 years ago as they would be blunt before I got half of my face clean! Anything that is growing anywhere on my face gets ringlets and my chin hair is gandalf-ish and just shoots straight for the floor. Now there is a good idea for a product, some kind of beard straightener :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good deal @redwood. I just want you all to be careful because that stuff is no joke.

It used to be found just in the brazillian blowout stuff but now its kinda all over. I used to use a Keritan treatment called chocolate .... man it was good, it smelled absolutely terrible during the straightening process though, and was the product that after the 3rd treatment or so, trigger asthma attack. Prior to that, no issue but maybe it was because they weren't doing so many of them in a days time..... I could go out in the rain and my hair would stay straight...I miss that stuff, though it was really pretty horrible.

Per Osha https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/formaldehyde/hazard_alert.html

Formaldehyde might be listed as methylene glycol, formalin, methylene oxide, paraform, formic aldehyde, methanal, oxomethane, oxymethylene, or CAS Number 50-00-0. All of these are names for formaldehyde under OSHA's Formaldehyde standard. There are also chemicals, such as timonacic acid (also called thiazolidinecarboxylic acid) that can release formaldehyde under certain conditions, such as those present during the hair smoothing treatment process. The bottom line is that formaldehyde can be released from hair smoothing products that list any of these names on the label and workers can breathe it in or absorb it through their skin. Workers can be exposed to formaldehyde during the entire hair straightening process, especially when heat is applied (e.g. blow-drying, flat ironing).

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1487001202|4128087 said:
Good deal @redwood. I just want you all to be careful because that stuff is no joke.

It used to be found just in the brazillian blowout stuff but now its kinda all over. I used to use a Keritan treatment called chocolate .... man it was good, it smelled absolutely terrible during the straightening process though, and was the product that after the 3rd treatment or so, trigger asthma attack. Prior to that, no issue but maybe it was because they weren't doing so many of them in a days time..... I could go out in the rain and my hair would stay straight...I miss that stuff, though it was really pretty horrible.

Per Osha https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/formaldehyde/hazard_alert.html

Formaldehyde might be listed as methylene glycol, formalin, methylene oxide, paraform, formic aldehyde, methanal, oxomethane, oxymethylene, or CAS Number 50-00-0. All of these are names for formaldehyde under OSHA's Formaldehyde standard. There are also chemicals, such as timonacic acid (also called thiazolidinecarboxylic acid) that can release formaldehyde under certain conditions, such as those present during the hair smoothing treatment process. The bottom line is that formaldehyde can be released from hair smoothing products that list any of these names on the label and workers can breathe it in or absorb it through their skin. Workers can be exposed to formaldehyde during the entire hair straightening process, especially when heat is applied (e.g. blow-drying, flat ironing).

Very interesting Arcadian. Thank you!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Red, Your hair is so shiny. Are you sure you aren't a trophy wife? And the boot comment doesn't work. Many, many men find boots every sexy (they probably wouldn't even care that you are cleaning up after the horses LOL)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results