Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do.
It saves a lot of $$$.
Saves time.
No appointment necessary.
No gas. (More green)
No gossip.
No gagging on toxic fumes from perms/coloring.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I trim my split ends myself...

I hate going to the salon, will usually go to a cheapy $15 supercuts-type place 1X a year to chop off about 6 inches, and then let it grow out for a whole year until it's so long it's unbearable, then I go and get it chopped off again. I do the same for my daughter (6).

Yeah, I hate chatting and gossiping to the hairdresser! HELLO, don't you see the magazine/book I have on my lap?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I can cut other people's hair so i tried to cut my own once... and it was a disaster. never again. Apparently long, thick, straight hair isn't that easy to layer properly. One bad angle and it is so obvious. The more you try to fix it, the worse it gets.

Now i gladly hand over $40 twice a year to have someone else do it. I stock up on groupon deals when i see expensive salons at 70% off!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do! I love Rose Russo's videos on Youtube, and I use her technique for cutting my very long hair. She's awesome, and it saves me a lot of money.
http://www.youtube.com/user/rosebud143

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Noooo! I go to a salon for hair trims/cuts...every 3-4 months.

I do color my own hair, though, because I've found no matter how much I pay/where I go, the person manages to dye it numerous shades darker.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is too complicated to cut on my own (layers). I will try to cut my son's hair though when he needs hair cuts.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Yep. Have for years; I think I've paid for probably five haircuts as an adult? And more than half the time I do, I regret it. Like the last time- my sister talked me into going to her hairdresser wtih her, I asked for a trim, and they cut off like six inches or more. I don't even have a single split end, it was totally unnecessary! It's finally grown out from that debacle, but I'm forseeing a LONG time before I let another person near me with scissors.

My hair is super thick, and curly, and you know what that means: "mistakes" don't really show in my hair. :bigsmile: II usually lop off a bit and layer it some.

I've also cut my husband's hair his entire adult life too. He's never *once* gone to a salon for a haircut. I grew up with my mom cutting my hair, her hair and my dad's so it's always seemed normal to me.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
HECK NO!! I would look like a FOOL! I am AWFUL with scissors. I wish I could cut hair to be honest but I can't.

I do 'cheaper' haircuts though ($25) bc my hair is long and simple---so I can spend $1,000 every 10 months to have my hair professionally straightened (Thermal Reconditioning aka Japanese Hair Straightening). It's a trade I needed to make in order to justify the splurge.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
no, I would never cut my own hair. Hair cuts are the one thing I splurge on :)

I shave the back of my FI's neck though :cheeky:

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
No, my hair is very curly and I wear it layered. It's worth it to me to spend the money on something you "wear" every day.

I do cut my DH's hair though, just go over it with clippers once a month or so.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My answer would have to be heck no, that would be really dumb, except that, well, I just did it. :-o

I was going to a wedding on Tuesday, and my hair looked ridiculous. Thick and woolly and I couldn't see past it. I left it too late to get an appointment at a salon (of course) so I watched a lot of how-to videos on line and then went for it.

I was thinking that once I'd had the flat irons on it, and put my little flower hair band thingy on for the wedding, who would know the difference? Ha. The man seated opposite me at dinner was, naturally, a hairdresser and salon owner. Of course he was.

I can honestly say that I will never do this again, because I think I experienced beginner's luck here. It totally wasn't worth it.

ETA I have done my own keratin blow out treatment. That was fantastic and I liked it better than the salon effort.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Now that it's long I don't, but I cut it myself for years when it was short. I used to use the 1" blade on the clippers for the side and back and then stick it all up straight with water and cut cut cut at the ends. I'm not bad, honestly!

My hair is very fine and straight and now that it's longer a mistake would definitely show. I let a friend of mine who was a new stylist cut it and it definitely did not look good, so now I try to go to the highest level of stylist at whatever salon I end up at. (Before I moved my stylist was the salon owner and she was fantastic!)

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
No effing way. I need to trust my hair to professionals. It's very much worth the $80 four times a year or so that I go!

DH buzzes his head himself though.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sunnyd|1305231644|2919983 said:
DH buzzes his head himself though.

Me too.
I look just like this...

h.jpg

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
No way! I don't trust myself with a pair of hair scissors.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to but it was all one length, no bangs or layers, and long. Now I change my hair cut all the time so no way would I attempt to do it myself. JD shaves his own head and buzzes Trapper's.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I go to a salon every 3-4 months. I keep it long because I think short haircuts require more maintenance / frequent cutting.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No way! My hair is layered, I have no idea how to do that.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I started cutting my own hair in 7th grade. My next professional hair cut was the first day at college. After that, it was on again off again with the salon. When I wore my hair really short, I always had it professionally cut. Now that it's longer again, I finally gave it a go the other day. It's curly and longish and layered. It turned out pretty well. Had DH work at the back for me and I did the top and front. My hair is really difficult to work with, in fact, I've never had a professional hair cut that took less than 45 mins of cutting. My salon appts usually run 1.5 hrs. I'll definitely still go ever 4-5-6 months, but in between, I'll trim it up myself.

DH has had a handful of pro hair cuts since we got married (1999), JT (5) has had 2 pro haircuts.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I do! I think it looks pretty good, too ::) It's just long w/ layers. If I had a fringe or it was very short I'd be a lot more hesitant.

I do DH's too - w/ a kit w/ this shaver thingy. I have to do it really quickly because the metal end gets hot, so his haircuts never take more than ten minutes 8)

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do cut my own hair - I really enjoy it - and I like how it turns out much much better when I cut it then when I have someone else cut it. I color my own hair too - I don't enjoy that nearly as much, but again I like how it turns out better when I color it - when I've had a professional do it, I've ended up with "helmet head" stains on my hairline... makes me crazy annoyed I paid someone to make it completely obvious that I color my hair.

Growing up, I would wash my sisters' hair, my brothers' hair, my mom's hair - I'd blow it dry and style it - the girls' hair I would curl with an iron or do elaborate french braids - I even colored and permed my mom's hair, my aunt's hair, my gramma's hair - when I was in high school I started doing my own hair and my girlfriend's hair... then we had a friend who went to beauty school and she started doing my family's hair, mine sometimes too.

I admit DH has to even out the back for me now and again but otherwise it's all me. (And, to my way of thinking, this translates to more jewelry money in the kitty for me. It's all good.)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I trim my bangs sometimes but not very well.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nope,i paid $8 for my hair cut.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I had no idea ANYONE cut their own hair. I cut my bangs once when I was 6 and that was the last time.

I'm seriously impressed with the lot of you.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. I used to spend upwards of $1200/year on my hair. Now I spend less than $100 a year. I sometimes go to a friend's salon for a cut, and sometimes I go to the beauty school here for a trim which costs $8. I can't trim my own hair because I don't know how, don't have the correct shears/scissors, and it would turn out uneven. My hair is very long and all I'm concerned about at this point in my life is keeping it healthy and neat-looking. I don't have enough grays to warrant hair color just yet and I don't want to damage my hair anymore with color and bleach to maintain highlights. I'm happy with my natural color (always was until my ex-husband began encouraging me to be "less granola.") Now that all my highlights have grown out, I am SO loving my natural brunette locks again, and my hair has never looked healthier!

SO has grown out his hair and donated it eleven times to Locks of Love and is due for a donation again, so he will go and get his every-other-year haircut that costs $20 very soon. :bigsmile:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Nope, I'd look like a freak show if I tried to cut my own hair. I can do complicated medical procedures, but I'm an idiot when armed with a pair of scissors. Go figure. I do go for cheap haircuts, under $20.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont cut my own...I would if I could though. I do cut both my sons hair and my daughters bangs. My sons hate to go get
their hair cut. I've gotten pretty decent at doing it and it does save about $15 each time (but thats not why I do it).

If and when my daughters longer hair needs to be cut...she has to have it done because its got curls in it.

holly sparkle

Shiny_Rock
Oh goodness no! I find it to be a lovely treat for myself. Plus my hairdresser is lovely. She's just the right amount of chatty without being nosy!

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
sillyberry|1305261390|2920417 said:
I had no idea ANYONE cut their own hair.

Ditto! I can imagine guys doing it more often, since typically their hair is short. I think it would be relatively easy to cut really short hair with clippers. But long hair!? I am surprised. So obviously, my answer is no. I only get it cut 3 or 4 times a year at like $18, so it is not too bad.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Heck to the no. I love going and getting my hair done, I love chatting with my stylist (who happens to be one of the sweetest people on the planet), I love fussing over myself. Plus, I rarely keep the same haircut for more than a few months, so it's nice to have somebody that has the talent to change things up when I get bored.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results