shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you care what colour car you drive?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I don't like the color of my car, I find that I don't take care of it properly so I always buy some shade of blue.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm very partial to dark grey cars. My current Lexus SUV is silver and the only reason I didn't get it in dark grey is because my last Lexus SUV was dark grey. I was fine with that, but since I drove the last one for 14 years and hope to do the same with this one TR convinced me that I'd be "driving the same car for 30 years" so I went a little wild and switched up the color, LOL.

I've also bought two dark grey 911s in a row. It's a very valid point about the color being hard to see though, especially that low to the ground. In the rain my car is the color of wet pavement. I am a cautious driver anyway knowing Billy Ray is hard to see, but when it's wet I try to stay as far from everyone else as I safely can.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Much like diamonds, it depends on the car itself. Some cars look better in certain colors. I never really thought about color playing a role in safety, but will definitely keep that in mind for the future!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes and no.

There was a color I preferred a couple of cars ago, but it would have cost an extra $500 plus delayed getting the car by a few days. Sometimes I wish I had waited even though it would have been a hassle with rentals. So this is the no part of the answer. If other factors are involved, color is less important.

Black & white are less visible here but are also show dirt and stuff more.

Gray, silver, and other light shades that are too much like pavement we will not buy. Too unsafe in our opinions.

I don't like yellow. (Or orange of that was ever on offer in the car we wanted.)

DH doesn't like red. He says they are statistically more likely to get ticketed.

That means we have a blue car. Preferably a nice medium blue that is dark enough to show in most fog and light enough to show in shadows.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I drive a dark blue car. When we bought my wife's car in 2017 she chose a pearl white car. My favorite color is charcoal gray.

Vera W

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I love White because it is better / cooler in the HOT Texas sun!! Although, if I could find that just right color of Orange, I would be all about that!

Just replaced Zena with Valencia, Valencia is Pearl White. Love my White Chevy's. :cool2: Valencia and Zena.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. I generally pick the color and my husband picks the car.

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
I don't own any cars now, but when I did, I've had a dark purple Mercedes, a white BMW, a black bmw and a silver Toyota. The black bmw was beautiful! Metallic black, everything was custom made and built for us in Germany and we drove to pick it up from the assembly line. Originally I wanted a Honda Accord but it was not affordable overseas and the BMW started at 16K, so we went with that instead. All this to say I like metallic black or dark silver cars.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Yes! I would love a green, pink or yellow car one day!

They usually make the tiny cars in nice colours but my husband can't fit into them.

I had a green car for 8 years, I loved the color of that car. It was a beautiful dark green with a hint of blue. Unusual but not gaudy or weird. I would go for green again if I found something nice like that!

I had a red car too for years. I would not get red again because it drew too much attention.

I drive a sapphire blue car now and I love the color.

I find white/black/grey a bit bland for my taste.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dad always said to us “A car is to get from point A to point B. Reliably and safely”.

My dad always says “a car is just 4 wheels and an engine” =)2

Q

Queenie60

My last car was metallic brown, a beautiful color but it was so hot during summer months. My current car is pearl white and I love it. I prefer silver, light gold or white

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
7A3C819F-57B1-4ACD-BED9-2DF8DB91199B.jpeg

In SoCal white cars actually stay clean longest due to white dust not showing up against white cars, and I have had 3 white cars in the past. Black is hard to maintain unless you get weekly car washes....(not good for drought)

These are the colors of all our current cars.....we all love dark gray metallic. This color stays clean even if parked outdoors as in the case of my son’s Lexus IS. I call our car lineup “50 shades of gray”

Attachments

• C7FAD199-F3F7-4790-BB15-B01C006A9071.jpeg
    C7FAD199-F3F7-4790-BB15-B01C006A9071.jpeg
    210 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes!

My first car was an old design Mini Cooper in British Racing Green, which was replaced by a new design MINI Cooper in Chilli Red with a custom paint job to colour the roof and wing mirrors in Lime Green.

She was replaced by a bigger MINI Countryman with Chilli Red being the main body colour. Instead of a custom paint job, I had her roof and wing mirrors wrapped in a slightly different shade of lime green.

My next car is most likely to be red, and I am unlikely to do anything with her colour-wise to save on cost.

I like red cars the most. I like some shades of green.

Definitely no to silver, grey, black, brown or orange!

Certain blues and yellows are OK, however, it is highly unlikely that I would get one.

DK :))

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have bright red clay dirt here. It doesn't matter what colour your car is if you get it wet, it will have a coating of orange dust on it afterwards.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I love navy blue! I would also be open to a dark green. I know this is not the original question, but also wanted to post here that my favorite car of all time is the Saab 900 from the 80's, followed by Saab 900 from the 90's.

AuntKiki

Shiny_Rock
I prefer all the family cars (usually 4) in the driveway be the same color. White is my first choice it’s readily available. I love cream colored vehicles but they’re harder to find. All black cars in the driveway looks like the secret service is here. Bonus points if the cars coordinate with the house. My husband is in the auto industry so cars come and go frequently around here.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I do! No white or black Most of our cars have been silver(ish).

cheers--Sharon

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
A bit off-topic, but when buying a new (or used) car, I'd recommend going through Costco Auto. They pre-negotiate prices for you, and you can stack any fleet discounts that you might qualify for depending on where you work! I think we saved around $10K by going through Costco Auto.

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I was dithering over switching to an electric car until my husband pointed out that the BMW i3 comes in orange. I bought one and never looked back. I adore my orange car and got Longhorn plates for it, too.

I love White because it is better / cooler in the HOT Texas sun!! Although, if I could find that just right color of Orange, I would be all about that!

Just replaced Zena with Valencia, Valencia is Pearl White. Love my White Chevy's. :cool2: Valencia and Zena.jpg

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely. When DH was buying his most recent car, my only instruction was no "poop brown". We ended up with dark metallic blue, which I love, but it shows the pollen from the trees on our block very readily. I think in the future we'll go back to red.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope but I think dark grey cars are most dangerous/harder to see on the road.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nope. I base the decision on safety first and mechanical reliability second as to what model and year range to look for - always recent model used - and then pick the one that seems to be the most well-maintained and reasonably priced from that short list. Now, if it came down to two that were identical in every other way except color, I would only then use color, and probably still be practical and pick whichever of the two I thought would be the most "visible" color on the road. I'm all about safety and reliability with cars. I'll admire certain shades of blue, green, red, or champagne in other people's cars, and certainly enjoy having a car that ends up being a shade I like by luck, but other than considerations of safety, it won't be part of how I pick one.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bright red!

Cars here are so prohibitively expensive, I can only dream of owning one.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A bit off-topic, but when buying a new (or used) car, I'd recommend going through Costco Auto. They pre-negotiate prices for you, and you can stack any fleet discounts that you might qualify for depending on where you work! I think we saved around $10K by going through Costco Auto.

I've tried that Costco thing twice.
Both times Costco's price was a good starting place, but I did MUCH better by the time I finally signed the papers.
The dealer hated me.

That's fine. :dance:
I think by the time the papers are finally signed, most buyers hate the dealer. :lol-2:

Last edited:

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for all the replies. I remember a friend of mine's father saying once that he didn't care what colour his car was as long as it was white. Probably for safety reasons or perhaps it just made the choice simpler.

Occasionally when I do my weekly grocery outing with my brother (our one meetup in these covid lock down times) we notice the colour of the cars. Particularly the high end models - the BMWs, Lexus. There really seems to have been pains taken to get the subtle tone of the colour just right for the shape. It appears colour is definitely being used to tempt consumers into buying that brand of car or to plan an early upgrade.

On my walk today with our dog I noticed this block coloured burnt orange car with black trim parked in the driveway of a new house where the brick and paint work were predominantly dark grey. House and car complemented each other superbly. But people wouldn't choose their car colour with their house colour in mind surely...

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
Lets talk colour. Do you notice the colour of cars on the road? Would colour influence your purchasing of a car?

I do not really pay much attention to the colors of other cars on the road.

YES, color influences my purchasing of a car. I will only purchase white. Also, I prefer to test drive the actual vehicle I am considering purchasing. My first vehicle was a red VW Bug. Since then, I have had 6 white vehicles and will be getting my 7th hopefully next week. The interior color is important as well as I prefer med/dark gray.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not really. We have a white car and I've never really liked it, I wanted silver, because it shows so much dirt. Last year I was driving us along the motorway in a daytime storm and it seemed like because it was bright out no one had their lights on! I could see all the white and brightly coloured cars easily, but not the silver and darker colours. It was scary to have such little visibility and witness what looked like so many near misses. Since then I've not complained about our white car and I wouldn't do a silver or dark colour as a first choice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results