shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you care what colour car you drive?

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Lets talk colour. Do you notice the colour of cars on the road? Would colour influence your purchasing of a car?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would, in terms of safety. I wouldn't like to have a mid-to-dark gray car. Blends in with the road. I believe white cars have higher insurance charges and are targets of theft more often (heard that years ago - not sure if it's true) and besides, white cars are harder to keep looking clean.

For safety reasons also, black and various shades of dark or slate-blue wouldn't be my first choices.

For practical reasons only, I prefer bright blue or bright red.

And if a horrible-colored car was discounted because no one liked the color, like metallic orange or fluorescent yellow, I would happily buy it.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! I would love a green, pink or yellow car one day!

They usually make the tiny cars in nice colours but my husband can't fit into them.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In a fantasy-land, I'd drive a pastel-colored car with a sassy license plate. Pastel lavender, pink, blue, or aqua. But that would be very expensive, and would attract thieves, and you're pretty much advertising that you're a female car owner, which is never a good idea.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not in the least, although I’d prefer not to stand out. I usually pick the cheapest option, if there is one, why pay more for metallic paint?? My current car is a very dark blue.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I do want to like the color of the car I drive. There are a few colors I find pleasing for cars so I have options. I don't like darker colors for cars and generally prefer lighter colors. Silver/grey/pearl are some colors I prefer for cars.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any color but black. I love the looks but it's too hot in Texas and black cars are hard to keep clean. My previous Suburban was black - never again.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In an ideal world I'd like my car to be silver. Our current SUV is white, not my favorite, however it is paid for with almost 250k miles so that makes up for the color (or lack of) :)

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve had red, white, gold, brown, blue, charcoal, blue, red, yellow, turquoise, silver, slate, yellow, black, silver and now have black. I really liked my yellow convertible with black trim and hood, it really stood out, and I called her Bumble Bee.

My current car came in a colour that can best be described as dysentery, and that really was a colour I wouldn’t have had under any circumstances, other than that, I’m not really that bothered if I get a good deal.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It matters at the time of purchase, as in what colour I think looks best. We've had a black car and a grey car and they were invisible in rainy weather. I had a bright red car, which I loved, but people were very aggressive with it. My standby is silver, but the model of my current car only came in white. I like the white.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A colour that won't attract the attention of the police, so red is out. Black is too hot. Dark colour can be difficult as water spots and pollen show up too easily. White is also not a good choice as black dirt shows too easily as well.

I am partial to dark silver, light gray to dark gray, and deep blue.

alittlelight

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I do, actually. I have a silver car right now because it was what was available in what I wanted, and I don’t love it. When I worked, every car in the teacher’s lot was silver! Too many silver cars. I wouldn’t want white or black — I don’t like white and black shows dirt. I like blue and red, and I really like pearl and metallic finishes.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not too bothered really, but my last car was a metallic cafe latte, which didn't show ANY dust or road dirt at all. It only got washed when the wheels looked dirty :lol:

When I was shopping for my current car, they had an amazing lime green with gold metallic in the showroom. I loved it, but Mr T said no, it was tacky. I bought a dark red with gold metallic instead & I do really like it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do care.

I buy white cars.
I reason they must be safest, since they must be the most visible, especially at dawn and dusk, especially to older drivers with declining vision in dim light.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are the last 2 cars we had. Before that I had a red Corolla (late 80s).

Here's a photo of Loofy too/two.
Silver

loofytoo.jpg

and the only photo I could find of the original Loofy...
Egg color

loofyone.jpeg
The day we had to leave him at the Lexus dealership. :( 18 years old and the best car a family could ever hope to have. We love you Loofy and so glad you are back with us reincarnated into Loofy too/two.

Sadly I don't have a photo of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang as I had that car in the 80s and I had no camera or mobile phone in the old days. Take my word for it though...Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was one good looking red car.:love:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I'm so happy to have a car that runs. I don't care about color anymore.

My current jeep is red, but I would've bought her even if she were electric rainbow. Didn't matter. I've had half a dozen shiny metallic silver Mercedes, a red bmw, a blue-green Volvo, a navy Audi, a poo-brown Buick century wagon (remind me to tell you the story of "The Wamp" - short for Wampler - great car with an amazing legacy). The prettiest cars sucked, and the ugliest ones were reliable. Just my experience!

My grandfather used to toast at business dinners with "May all your engines start."

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My current jeep is red, but I would've bought her even if she were electric rainbow. Didn't matter. I've had half a dozen shiny metallic silver Mercedes, a red bmw, a blue-green Volvo, a navy Audi, a poo-brown Buick century wagon (remind me to tell you the story of "The Wamp" - short for Wampler - great car with an amazing legacy). The prettiest cars sucked, and the ugliest ones were reliable. Just my experience!

My grandfather used to toast at business dinners with "May all your engines start."

My dad always said to us “A car is to get from point A to point B. Reliably and safely”.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cars are expensive and I don’t buy them all the time, so I do care about what color I pick. It’s like buying a diamond. You are spending a lot of money so you really need to like what you are buying. And with cars you can’t really upgrade for color !

I don’t like brown cars or neon bright colors. I also wouldn’t pick a custom color for a car.
In the past we have had silver to darker gray colors but this time our cars black and white.
Black bc that was what was available when we purchased and I like that it’s really easy to color match if there are scratches, etc.
Our white car I picked bc I loved the look and it was different from the black we had.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

In kindergarten I kid you not this kid named Matthew Wampler had a crush on me. I would call him Wampler, I found him to be so annoying, so kind of funny that you had a car by the same name!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do care.

I buy white cars.
I reason they must be safest, since they must be the most visible, especially at dawn and dusk, especially to older drivers with declining vision in dim light.

If you want safe you should go with my DHs car color, it's a bright orangy-yellow. A bit more orangy than a taxi (kind of a metallic paint). Very easy to spot in a parking lot and if anyone claims they "didn't see it" it would just be ridiculous.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would prefer a car NOT be white or black, for dirt purposes. My current car is white, it's very annoying. Other than that I have learned from DH (his car is an orangy-yellow) that it can be nice to have an unusual color since it's much easier to find your car. We were not wanting the color for his car at first (it was the last model and everything else checked the box) BUT it has turned out to be a plus.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh! And for reference I’ve had my drivers license for 22 years and have had four cars. My first car I kept until we needed a larger one for kids, my 2nd one I traded in for a minivan. I still have my last two cars and I plan to keep them for as long as I can.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I only like white cars for me....I had metallic beige that was like a champagne color, light silver...I did like them but the last two cars I purchased were white...I think I would grow tired of a color....

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yes! I care a lot - I am a person that forgets where I have parked and I like to be able to see my car in a sea of silver and white. My current SUV color is a really pretty light blue and I love that it is easy to find in the parking lot. When I got it I drove across state lines four hours each way to get the color I wanted. We are now discussing a new (to me) SUV this year after our house sells - I have had my current one for eight years. I am very particular and I have to like the exterior and interior color combo. So right now I'm looking at a SUV with a darker medium grey exterior and I am liking it with a camel brown leather interior so I will just wait until the particular brand, miles, color, and price I am willing to pay line up and then I will buy. It does not bother me to wait a year or more - I know that eventually what I want will come up. I have never in my life owned a new car, we usually buy cars that are 2 years old. My husband is opposite - he doesn't car at all about color but then he gets a new company car every year so he has had all the colors. He is one of the gets me from point A to point B folks.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a lot of cloudy days where I live so I avoid grey and silver cars because they are harder for other drivers to see.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do care.

I buy white cars.

That is completely true while dark coloured cars are much more difficult to see at those times and in heavy rain etc. I think I remember reading somewhere green cars also have the same issues...

And because of the hot climate I also strongly prefer white cars. I've owned a red car, a white car, then a metallic blue car and now a white car again.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sensitive to car colors. I mostly pick white, because I believe they are easier to see on the road and the least hot in the warmer months. I Have 3 white ones ATM in the immediate family , 2 are gifts to my 19 and 20 year old children. Our newest is a dark silver grey, which I find elegant, but it does really show dust and pollen.
I love the look of black, but would be way too hot in the Summer here.
I Personally find reds hard For me to see on the road unless they are very bright, but also have a suspicion that cops notice them, which is why I’ve never chosen red. When I was young, I wanted a robin’s egg blue colored car...now, I wouldn’t mind a deep, dark black blue color, but again, the heat and dust.
I think there are many, new and intriguing earth toned colors, buttery creams and beiges. If I were to get a more rugged vehicle, I might chose one of those.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, and no. We always seem to need a car quickly, or look for a previous year's model for a good deal, so we look at what's on the lot.

So, two weeks ago when our governor opened up the car dealers to sales again, my husband and daughter went and bought two cars. DD is graduating from college and we were in need, nursing our old Mazda along. They were able to get pretty nice deals.

DD wanted a blue and was thrilled to get it. It's so cute, a 2019 Mazda CX-3

DH is more interested in the car itself, and again going with last year's models, it's what's left anyway, so after a couple days of dealing/calling/etc, he came home with a Miata in "snowflake white." I swear, it looks gray to me in some lighting. I like it better in the sunshine, when it looks white. It's a fun ride, in any color :)

It's actually replacing a white car, which replaced a white SUV, so maybe we are into white vehicles. And blue, come to think of it, as DD1 also has a blue car and our Jeep Wrangler is blue. Now only my SUV is not blue or while. It's a dark gray.

Last edited:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I also love brightly colored cars. I’m hoping to get a neon green GTI for our next car ( if they will still make them in that color)
But far more important to me is the color of the interior. I mean that’s what YOU’RE able to see when you’re driving.
One of my faves is white exterior with a red interior.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think its funny that so many people think white cars are safer - up here in a blizzard they'd be one of the least safe!

I don't really care what colour as long as its a "normal" colour. No lime green or hot pink or neon orange for me. But I've had blue, red, silver and dark grey cars. I like my dark grey one the best, it never looks dirty somehow!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results