shape
carat
color
clarity

Do You Believe in Signs?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
The last few weeks, I have been struggling with the idea of retiring. I could, but I don't want to, I'm the kind of person that NEEDS to be busy. Plus I hate volunteer work. So it's been a lot of soul-searching and thinking.

I asked fate/God/the universe to send me a sign.

Meanwhile, I ordered a used book from Amazon.

I received it two days after asking for a sign, and inside the front cover was an inscription that ended in "Happy Retirement!"

I think it's a sign. :shock:

I've ordered dozens of used books from Amazon and elsewhere and I've never gotten one with an inscription before. And certainly not one that answered a question I had asked.

What do you think? Do you think it's a sign? Or do you not believe in "signs"?

Have you had signs in your life, that pointed you a certain way?

Please, resist the urge to post pictures of signs. :D I know you want to. :lol: Just answer the question. :bigsmile:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that's totally a sign!

And I love that you admit you don't like volunteer work. SOOOOO many people feel like they *should* and so they DO... and they are unhappy.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't pay really close attention to signs.

About a year ago a black and white car with flashing lights on top and a loud noise chased me.
I stopped and a very hunky man in uniform approach me.
I thought, Oh boy, this is my lucky day.

But then, he handed me a little long yellow piece of paper with lots of fine print.
It was then I realized he didn't actually have the hots for me.

A couple weeks later I got a letter telling me I had do pay $328 for driving 1 MPH through a sign, then another $200 for traffic school.

Now I believe in signs.

Oh, but I'm still not superstitious.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I do believe in signs--freaks me out sometimes.....

About retirement--why not keep working until it doesn't work anymore? Most people count down the days and it doesn't sound like you are there yet....

cheers--Sharon

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if YOU believe in signs, you should interpret the inscription as such!

To answer your question, no, I do not believe in signs. I think that life is pretty random. But I also love to volunteer, so take my opinion with a grain of salt!

I used to play piano for retirement parties. They were always such a fun, celebratory occasion. And no drama!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I believe in signs and have had some significant things happen that support this concept in my life. I am talking lighting bolt things that could not be explained. I realized they were always there but I never saw them until I was open.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely believe in signs, but it sounds as if you really don't want to retire at all, so why consider it??

Ask yourself this: "If I got a terminal illness or died with my boots on - i.e. if my life turns out to be work,work, work, and then I die, how do I feel about that? Am I OK with that? Or are there things I want to do between work and dying?"

I've seen a lot of people sixty-plus keel over. If you have any retirement dreams that are really important to you, try to retire late sixties at the latest. But if you love your work, hate the volunteer sector and are not interested in doing the whole retired-traveler thing, then just rock on!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Well, here's the deal on the retirement: :wavey:

It's not really by choice. After 30+ years, we've lost our last client, and the question is, do we try to get more? Getting more would involve so much work, lots of effort and tons of potential rejection. Or do we just sit back, relax, and retire/be bored? That's the question. I've spoken to a few retired people, and very few of them actually retired by choice. Most were forced out, downsized and were considered too old to be employable. It's a very ageist world out there if you're 50+.

Plus, you guys are supposed to tell us stories about signs in your life: what they were, what they meant, how it all worked out. Some of you are hinting at some really interesting stuff! :naughty:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1447293578|3948539 said:

It's not really by choice. After 30+ years, we've lost our last client, and the question is, do we try to get more? Getting more would involve so much work, lots of effort and tons of potential rejection. Or do we just sit back, relax, and retire/be bored? That's the question. I've spoken to a few retired people, and very few of them actually retired by choice. Most were forced out, downsized and were considered too old to be employable. It's a very ageist world out there if you're 50+.
My wife retired 6 months ago and I haven't heard the word "bored" coming out of her mouth ... :bigsmile: said she can wake up whenever she wants and don't have to fight the morning traffic.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
My dad retired two years ago and he's happy as a clam.

Signs..well, I saved this fortune cookie fortune. I went out to eat w/my brother and two of our friends. This was..1998/1999 thereabouts. We all laughed at our fortunes, and I stuck mine in my wallet, then forgot about it. I transferred it every time I got a new wallet, never thinking a thing of it, never really glancing at it. Then one evening I was transferring things again and was getting rid of receipts, and I looked at it. And then burst out laughing b/c that night, my brother and a friend were on one side of the table, JD and I were on the other side. I still have it.

Sign? Maybe yes, maybe no.

I became concerned a few years ago b/c of the number of times I looked at the time, on the stove, the microwave, the phone, my alarm clock and it was 10:29. AM/PM, didn't matter. 10:29. Still happens, and it freaks me out. Can't figure out what it means, but still seems weird.

10542079_10203627363219556_1027235185890854708_o.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do believe in signs. I was definitely more in tune as a child. Then I guess life overwhelmed me so over time I tune things out. But that part of me that noticed the signs has watered down to me having good people skills and being very relatable to people (when I want to be. No one wants to be near me when I'm in a funk lol). I wonder if it runs in the family...

Now is seeing signs interchangeable with being intuitive PLUS? I feel like spending my youth being extremely inarticulate injecting a "like" in between every other word and f bombs everywhere really didn't let me grasp subtle connotations properly lolol.

My aunt told me that she can tell when someone is going to die sometimes. One example she gave was one night watching TV with her husband, there was a very handsome celebrity on TV. She kept telling her husband his face is very very frightening. I don't know why but I am so scared. A few weeks later he died. She said another time a long time friend was visiting. The picture of health, but his face also scared the dickens out of her. He died weeks later as well. The deaths can be suicide or illness... So it is not as though they appear sickly or are known to be sick.

I also believe that men are great at reading signs. The minute a woman is happily single, a man must come along, read that energy, and sucker her into a relationship. That's what happened to me. Hahahanba...

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not usually - however the one time I saw a 'sign' it paid off big time for us. The day before a large fishing tournament and we were towing our boat to the bay we would be leaving from, we saw the white trail from a plane in the sky - it looked like one of the depth contours on the GPS map of a spot we fish occasionally. We decided to fish that spot while nobody else was even slightly interested in going there - we took out first place at the tournament and the $10k prize, we nearly had to hide in the cabin to rig our baits due to so many fish being around.

After that you'd think I would look for signs. Nope :roll:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope. Don't believe in them.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes I do. I also believe in listening to your gut. One and the same? IDK but yes sometimes I believe there is something else helping guide us if you are open to that...call it what you will. And yes I am a bit superstitious or as my dh likes to say (lovingly/jokingly) "stupidstitious".

Kenny, OMG you are so funny, thank you for sharing that story.. I was laughing so much reading your post with tears coming down my face and read it to my dh who also thought it was very funny. :appl:

kenny said:
I didn't pay really close attention to signs.

About a year ago a black and white car with flashing lights on top and a loud noise chased me.
I stopped and a very hunky man in uniform approach me.
I thought, Oh boy, this is my lucky day.

But then, he handed me a little long yellow piece of paper with lots of fine print.
It was then I realized he didn't actually have the hots for me.

A couple weeks later I got a letter telling me I had do pay $328 for driving 1 MPH through a sign, then another $200 for traffic school.

Now I believe in signs.

Oh, but I'm still not superstitious.

Good luck iLander. I feel confident you will figure it out.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't notice it even if it smacked me between the eyes, so no, I don't believe in signs. However, I think you do, and deep down, you want it to be THE sign, so why not? ;))

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just out of curiosity, what was the book you ordered? Was it related at all to changing careers or retirement?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe humans are wired for supernatural stuff like signs, meaning and that PS-forbidden topic.
Evidence of this is found through out history and throughout the world.

I'm not sure I posted this but a couple months ago I, even I, was shocked when I experienced this mental phenomenon.

Sometimes I walk my dogs past the local elementary school.
A couple times a month I'll throw back a ball that went over the fence.

This time there was a five-dollar bill under it.
Immediately thoughts rush into my head of karma, a sign, that PS-forbidden topic, the universe thanking me.

I'm so NOT a 'believer' of any of that stuff it was fascinating to watch my brain (yes, even Kenny's brain) do what brains do.
Equally fascinating is ... when I return a ball (but there's no 'reward') my brain doesn't think, 'Oh, maybe I'm not supposed to do this'.
Kinda like thanking X the tornado skipped over your house, but not blaming X when the tornado levels it.
It can't be both ways ... yet that's what our brains do.

We need meaning and support form whatever big IT we subscribe to, even when it's not there.
We make stuff up that props up our existence.
So many people do this that they get together and reinforce each other like coals in a BBQ.
Then they fight over which version is 'TRUE'.
Taken to the extreme this stuff has resulted in hate crimes, wars and even flying commercial jets into skyscrapers.

IMO it is the uncertainty that leads to insecurity, that leads to fear and violence.
I'll stick to settling for stuff we can be certain about and just accept that we just don't know anything that is beyond what can be known/proven.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
part gypsy said:
Just out of curiosity, what was the book you ordered? Was it related at all to changing careers or retirement?

It was a random gardening book. Not related at all to careers or anything else. :???:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1447343777|3948779 said:
I believe humans are wired for supernatural stuff like signs, meaning and that PS-forbidden topic.
Evidence of this is found through out history and throughout the world.

I'm not sure I posted this but a couple months ago I, even I, was shocked when I experienced this mental phenomenon.

Sometimes I walk my dogs past the local elementary school.
A couple times a month I'll throw back a ball that went over the fence.

This time there was a five-dollar bill under it.
Immediately thoughts rush into my head of karma, a sign, that PS-forbidden topic, the universe thanking me.

I'm so NOT a 'believer' of any of that stuff it was fascinating to watch my brain (yes, even Kenny's brain) do what brains do.
Equally fascinating is ... when I return a ball (but there's no 'reward') my brain doesn't think, 'Oh, maybe I'm not supposed to do this'.
Kinda like thanking X the tornado skipped over your house, but not blaming X when the tornado levels it.
It can't be both ways ... yet that's what our brains do.

We need meaning and support form whatever big IT we subscribe to, even when it's not there.
We make stuff up that props up our existence.
So many people do this that they get together and reinforce each other like coals in a BBQ.
Then they fight over which version is 'TRUE'.
Taken to the extreme this stuff has resulted in hate crimes, wars and even flying commercial jets into skyscrapers.

IMO it is the uncertainty that leads to insecurity, that leads to fear and violence.
I'll stick to settling for stuff we can be certain about and just accept that we just don't know anything that is beyond what can be known/proven.

I think it's human nature to be afraid of the unknown, it's biological, reptilian, and a survival mechanism. I also think people want to believe that there is some purpose and guidance in their lives, it helps to quell that fear of the future (which is, by definition, the unknown). I forgive people this normal reaction.

Of course anything taken to the extreme can become evil. But most Sunday-school attendees are not interested in killing non-believers. I can't condemn the majority for the wicked actions of a few.

I sometimes envy those that get so much security from church or their beliefs. Their ability to "let go and let God" is a source of strength during times of trouble. They have a "net", while I walk the tightrope of life and cross my fingers.

Or look for signs. :bigsmile:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1447345631|3948793 said:
But most Sunday-school attendees are not interested in killing non-believers. I can't condemn the majority for the wicked actions of a few.

+1

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Not signs so much but instinct, gut feeling, sixth sense or whatever you want to call it. It is not really a matter of whether it exists but a question of whether you are tuned into that side of your brain. I get very strong gut feelings and all I know is that every time I ignored them, it ended in disaster, so now I listen to my gut. Sometimes you have no idea why you dislike a person but later you find out. You better listen to your feelings about that. Purely rational decisions will never make any of us happy since it is not rationality that causes that feeling in us. Not to say we should let emotions rule, not at all but saying that we should often listen to what our instinct says when we do not. Of course I am only talking about my personal experiences.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1447293578|3948539 said:

Plus, you guys are supposed to tell us stories about signs in your life: what they were, what they meant, how it all worked out. Some of you are hinting at some really interesting stuff! :naughty:

I think I do believe in "signs" - in the context of, I collect information especially when I'm trying to make an important decision. The information includes facts, stats, personal data, and my general feeling/intuition about each option... but I'm also receptive to finding/seeing signs and interpreting their meaning as applied to my situation. How I choose to interpret a sign can help me frame the decision in a different way - which often is very helpful to my decision-making process.

iLander - as to whether to retire or not, it sounds to me like you have to reframe your decision to include other options -

1. continue working in your present situation, which would now entail a lot more work and a lot more uncertainty
2. find work in another field which you might find interesting/rewarding/convenient
3. retire and use your free time to work on projects dear/interesting to you -- if you retire, your options go far beyond "sit back and relax" or "do volunteer work" - you could do home improvement projects, you could do gardening projects, you could read The 100 Greatest Books, you could take classes at your community college - the options abound depending on your interests/hobbies and your willingness to allocate daily time to each/any of these.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a book called the Gift of Fear. Now obviously I'm not thinking you're scared haha. But the book is about learning to trust your instincts. The comment above made me think of it. Intuition, sixth sense, whatever we want to call it. Sometimes you just "know" something, right? Everyone feels that a time or two. Maybe the inscription in the book wasn't so much a "sign" you should retire, the fates didn't inscribe it quick or guide your hand--if you'd ordered it any other time, it wouldn't resonate w/you. So, maybe b/c it resonates w/you, that means something to you, deep down, that you feel you're ready to retire but it hasn't quite sunk in enough so your mind is looking for signs to help push you ?

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes.

I also believe that there are people who are more deeply connected to the universe because they are open to that connection. These people will see the signs more often than others. They will also experience other unexplainable events.

I think that when we listen to these signs, good things happen... With that, if this sign speaks to your gut, then most likely, good things will follow your retirement. :appl:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do. I really needed a sign when I was in a situation very similar to yours ilander. I had worked for company for a little over thirty years when they made an announcement that they were closing our facility. At the time I figured I would take the severance package of a year and just stay home. I was not yet fifty and worried about being ready to quit working. Two weeks later one of the men I worked with came to me and said one of his friends was transferring to the area and was looking for someone to work for him. I met with this man and was offered a position making more than I was currently making, 4 weeks vacation time and a yearly bonus. I was still undecided what I should do. Driving to work the next morning I looked at the truck ahead of me. It was the company truck of the company I was considering working for. I looked in the rear view mirror and also directly behind me was another one of their company trucks. I had never seen one of their company trucks prior to that morning. I took that as a sign to take the job. I took the job and it was the best job I ever had. Four years later they announced they were moving the company to another state. I knew then it was time to quit working.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The way I feel, is if you truly want to continue to work, you would find a way to do it and an inscription in a random book is not going to sway or influence you. OTOH, if you deep down want to retire, that inscription may reinforce your feelings or decision this is the right decision.
Myself I will need to make either a minor or major job transition by spring of next year. A co-worker asked me how she thought it will play out. I'm not panicking but I am definitely getting the murky magic 8 ball, "try again later".

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I do and I am also one of those people that senses "things" which is funny because I have a very grounded, need to know the answer type personality.

Perhaps you are meant to retire from one field and then do something else. Lots of people that retire start small businesses, home businesses or do something else. So rather than being the end, think of it as finishing one thing and perhaps the start of something else.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1447355422|3948867 said:
I have a book called the Gift of Fear. Now obviously I'm not thinking you're scared haha. But the book is about learning to trust your instincts. The comment above made me think of it. Intuition, sixth sense, whatever we want to call it. Sometimes you just "know" something, right? Everyone feels that a time or two. Maybe the inscription in the book wasn't so much a "sign" you should retire, the fates didn't inscribe it quick or guide your hand--if you'd ordered it any other time, it wouldn't resonate w/you. So, maybe b/c it resonates w/you, that means something to you, deep down, that you feel you're ready to retire but it hasn't quite sunk in enough so your mind is looking for signs to help push you ?

That should be a must read for every woman in the world. SUCH an amazing book!!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

If I was trying to save someones life, and all the stoplights were green and the elevator doors at the hospital were open when I arrived, I might think of those as signs, if the life of the individual was saved. Its called synchronicity. Everything working together.

However, in the case you described\I wouldn't take it as a sign, as it doesn't appear to me that you want to retire. You may not really want to re-start your business or you would have gone after new customers when you got down to one, even if that one was an excellent customer.

You could look for something new and interesting to you. Work at a garden center, decorator, or fortune teller perhaps, or better yet, a sign finder for people. :)

Annette

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
smitcompton|1447436175|3949307 said:
If I was trying to save someones life, and all the stoplights were green and the elevator doors at the hospital were open when I arrived, I might think of those as signs, if the life of the individual was saved.

... so likewise if all the traffic lights were red and the hospital elevator is broken you must also consider those to be signs the person was 'meant' to die.

If you believe in magic directing things then it has to go both ways, instead of only when it fits your preferred narrative.

Plus you could argue just being near-death is a sign that it's time to die.
But that doesn't fit our narrative.

This stuff is nothing more than nice ideas in our heads.
It feels good.
Yet we want so much to believe it is true and real.

Personally, I want to believe as many true things as possible and as few false things as possible.
I care very much that what I believe is true.
How do I determine what's true?
Evidence, not wishful thinking.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results