shape
carat
color
clarity

do you and your spouse have separate accounts like.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
checking ,cc,saving etc,etc....how about rainy day (secret) accounts that your spouse don't know about ?
2.gif
we have been marry for 19 yrs ,my wife and i always had separate accounts except for our stock brokeage accounts. i have no idea what her annual salary is (big secret) she never tells me.maybe she's really loaded [$$)][$$)]
9.gif
......LOL

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m curious, do you file taxes separately then??

We have a joint account that pays the bills, and then we each have a separate account for our play money.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, we have joint accounts but mostly our accounts are seperate. I've had a checking account since HS so I still use this as my seperate account. Plus, ***of course*** I have a secret rainy day fund. What woman DOESN'T???
9.gif
But, as I said in another post, my husband knows my little stash exists, he just doesn't know any more than that I have a bit set aside for fun things I want that funds usually snuck from the grocery store budget won't easily cover
2.gif

Both my husband and I have seperate credit cards. I've had a couple since I was 18 and feel that it's important to maintain some individuality for credit purposes. We both have car loans in our own names and other various credit lines too.

We don't have any joint personal accounts except for one checking and savings account.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are going to have a joint checking and a joint savings as well as a private account for each of us. That way we have most of our money going into the household and a little sh!ts and grins money for our own crap (my hair and his...nerd toys)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/23/2005 8:39:56 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I''m curious, do you file taxes separately then??

We have a joint account that pays the bills, and then we each have a separate account for our play money.
we file joint tax returns,when the accountant finish, i just sign it.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
We have joint checking/savings. We both have CC''s that we are the primary on and spouse is an authorized user. He has his savings and and I have mine. We are the primary beneficiaries of each other''s "in name only" assets with the kids as secondaries in equal shares. Mainly it''s CYA just in case the trip to the grocery or the dentist doesn''t quite go as planned. That happened to my Mom, as I said in another thread. Dad went into the hospital for surgery and never came home. Fortunately, the car and the house were both paid for at the time. Otherwise, life was a royal B**** with no money until the estate was settled.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2005 8:33:19 PM
Author:Dancing Fire

i have no idea what her annual salary is (big secret) she never tells me.maybe she''s really loaded [$$)][$$)]
9.gif
......LOL
Sugar mamma! must be nice...
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2005 12:13:29 AM
Author: ForteKitty

Date: 2/23/2005 8:33:19 PM
Author:Dancing Fire

i have no idea what her annual salary is (big secret) she never tells me.maybe she''s really loaded [$$)][$$)]
9.gif
......LOL
Sugar mamma! must be nice...
2.gif
but she''s got all the diamonds.
27.gif
39.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Websailor and I have separate and joint checking, savings, credit cards, mutual funds, tax free bond funds, stock trading accounts etc. One of the reasons is that we both came from previous marriages so what was pre-marital is our separate
property. What we acquired after our marriage is joint. We do pay bills from a joint account, however I make my house payment from my separate checking account and websailor pays his property taxes from his checking account.

I do have a rainy day stash but it is not a secret. Websailor keeps looking at the balance and says I should move that
money into investment vechicles with a higher return. I told him I need it to be liquid for emergencies so I just keep it in a savings account. I tend to be very conservative while he likes to take risks.

We have a rule in our household, you can buy anything under $500 without asking the other. Anything over $500, we talk about it and normally its websailor talking me into spending money e.g. getting my sapphire recut. I have snuck in a few tanzanite pendants and rings and he didn't seem to mind.

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
I do have a rainy day stash that he knows about and he has several accounts that are his only (but that is what he had before he even knew me and I have no problem with it and I have full access to them if I want to look) and a joint checking and savings account that might as well be just mine. His name is on it but only for emergencies. Other than that he never looks at it. He just asks me if I have enough in it
1.gif
. I don''t know if I could bring myself to have a ''secret'' account. I''d feel so guilty
40.gif

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
We have seperate accounts which our wages go into... plus joint account for anything which is mutual... like mortage goes outta joint... but mobile bills go our seperate accounts... kinda... whats mine is paid for by me... whats ours goes out of our account. if that makes sense.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a joint checking account to pay all the household bills, joint savings account for a rainy day, and the rest are separate (IRA, savings, checking, CD, etc). It''s no secret what we both earn, spend and save. We can spend or save as we please from our own seperate accounts but we usually let the other spouse know out of courtesy.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/24/2005 9
6.gif
8:56 AM
Author: Chrono
(IRA, savings, checking, CD, etc)
See i knew you lot where still funding the IRA terrorists!!!!!

ok ok...
29.gif
I know... I''ll get my coat
37.gif
23.gif

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
Most of our accounts are joint although only he is on his IRA''s and savings account that was there before the marriage. I don''t work so I''m not adding to it :)

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
I must be in a minority. Everything is joint except for retirement accounts. Joint checking, savings, credit cards, titles etc. In fact we use mainly one joint CC and checking account.

Spending is never a problem. We both buy whatever we want but normally have to talk the other into to buying things. She wants to buy me a new watch for our anniversary and told me if I don''t pick one, she''ll take 10K and go out and buy me one. I keep saying no, don''t do it.

JC

Shiny_Rock
noobie,

Your not the only one. My wife and I share it all as well. We are pretty open with how we spend and what we spend. I would say that is the one part of our relationship that we''ve never had problems with. However, it does make secret gifts very difficult to buy, but we somehow manage....

10.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Everything we have is joint.
20.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
most of our accounts are joined, however I do have a separate money market account that is all mine!! And when I want to buy something for myself he doesn''t have to know about it cause it''s my money!!
2.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2005 11:55:17 AM
Author: noobie
I must be in a minority. Everything is joint except for retirement accounts. Joint checking, savings, credit cards, titles etc. In fact we use mainly one joint CC and checking account.

Spending is never a problem. We both buy whatever we want but normally have to talk the other into to buying things. She wants to buy me a new watch for our anniversary and told me if I don''t pick one, she''ll take 10K and go out and buy me one. I keep saying no, don''t do it.
Nope, your not unusual. But, may I add "what''s mine is mine & what''s his is mine". Works very well in our relationship.
9.gif

Seriously, most everything is joint. I have my own credit cards & we have been shifting some CD''s & accounts in my name. I need to maintain my own credit. Our estate planner said that the assests should be separated equally - equal joint, equal personal. I handle all the money in the family. Hubby couldn''t tell you our net worth. But, in case if I die suddenly, I have all the accounts listed and where they are. Our exector has a copy as well.

On an interesting note, some states *require* that the house be in *both* names if married.

Funny Dancingfire, hubby has no idea how much *he* makes. He has direct deposit, hands me the pay stubb, checks to see that his distributions are mathmatically correct & hands me the check.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
We don't share any accounts. I've always had mine, he's always had his. We just got married and kept it that way. It wasn't the result of any big discussion or master plan..it just 'was'... It doesn't bother me or him. I actually like it better this way, b/c I am easily tempted and he pays nearly all of the bills
11.gif
We don't even share any credit cards (which I'm forbidden to use anyway) except a joint Amex..which he pays bless his little heart....which I used today to buy a $200.00 shower faucet valve (YIKES) so I'm dead meat.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
We have separate checking accounts, but we know the passwords to each others so it''s no big secret. Plus, we file the statements in the same box.

We have a joint money market account that we use as a savings account.

I actually don''t know what her salary is either. But, since she doesn''t know either, I have a better excuse. (It''s cuz she is on salary, but she gets these weird percentage bonuses for working nights, weekends, or graveyard and her schedule is different every week).

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Codex- he knows all of my passwords..I''m too lazy to write down his...He''ll call me and inquire what I spent 20 bucks on at CVS LOL...and I''ll tell him to mind his own bee''s wax...And can I tell you, honest to g*d, I don''t know my exact salary either...or his! LOL...

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2005 12:17:34 PM
Author: sevens one
Everything we have is joint.
20.gif
Me too. I didn''t even have a checking account of my own before I got married.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2005 12:30:32 PM
Author: fire&ice
; I need to maintain my own credit.
I also feel it''s important to maintain my own credit. There was a show that discussed a number of women who were divorced or widowed that never had their own credit and this literally distroyed them. One woman couldn''t even find an apartment to rent! I''m not sure where she lived as around here you can always find a person to rent a small basement apartment w/out any credit info, but apparently she was left homeless and without a car because all her previous accounts were in her husband''s name and she hadn''t established ANYTHING.

Also, like PQ, my mom was widowed and she was abrubtly thrown into a world where she was the sole bread winner on a PT income that couldn''t support us. Due to her established credit, she started buying and selling real estate and we lived decently. She is my main example that I grew up with and because of her, I''ll always have the majority of my accounts seperate.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
We have no joint accounts and it works fine for us. Of course we both have access to the others in case something ever happened to either of us. I have another question for the ladies and maybe I''ll post it in another area. Did you take your husband''s name or keep your maiden name?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I took my husbands name. We have been married for 18 years.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if there is a relationship between the name taking/keeping and account separation/joint? Why not state both answers? I''d like to know the results.
I kept my own name and my own accounts.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
I took his bloody name
29.gif
9.gif

It''s hard to keep separate accounts when there''s barely enough to put in one!
41.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Joint accounts for the most part. Took his name in name only. Didn''t legally change it until 2001.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Took his name because it was easier than mine.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results