shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you always renew your passport before expiration?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My old one expired 22 yrs ago... :oops: it cost me extra $$$ b/c I had to reapply.

22 years? WHOA!!

The answer is yes. I'm getting one more trip out of my current one before I renew. Depending on the country you're planning to go to, if you have less than 6 months to go before renewal they can deny you entry. I already have my application finished and picture taken, I just have to mail everything in when I return.

Yes I always renew even though I have not traveled out of the country for quite some time now as I loathe air travel even more these days than ever before. However I do not let my passport expire because you just never know and it is easier to renew than start all over again. I still hate my passport photo though. :knockout:

Happy (and safe) travels! :wavey:

I will be, but DH hasn't in a LONNNNNNNNNNNNNG time. He needs to also reapply.

I just did- going to Korea on Wednesday and my passport expired on Jan 1, 2016. Didn't want to risk being denied so I renewed, plus we went to Canada at the end of August (had to expedite passports for 3 people- ugh!).

Nope, ours are both expired. Having kids pretty much meant little to no travel in the beginning and now travel that doesn't require a passport. It's on our list of things to do though - maybe after the Holidays.

I usually renew pretty soon before or after it expires. In Canada you have 6 months (I think!) after it expires to renew it.
Travel pretty frequently, so I need it.

Yes, I don't live in the same country as my family so an up to date passport is necessary in case of emergency.

No because I am no longer an international traveler.

If I was I would renew it before it expired.

I was delinquent in renewing it last time, which I figured out as I was in the process of booking a trip, so I had to go the expedited route. Frankly, I'm going to do it that way every time! I cost some extra $ but I had the thing in my hand in 48 hours. Was the most efficient government processing I ever saw!

Yes! I travel too much not to. Plus, we just got 10 year passports in canada now. So I renewed about a year ago, good for another 9 years!

Arcadian|1444046376|3934950 said:
22 years? WHOA!!

The answer is yes. I'm getting one more trip out of my current one before I renew. Depending on the country you're planning to go to, if you have less than 6 months to go before renewal they can deny you entry. I already have my application finished and picture taken, I just have to mail everything in when I return.

Exactly! ! We cruise multiple times a year so must get it renewed at least 6 months in advance.

This year I did it extra early so I could take my picture before my craniotomy and brain surgery. Didn't want to be stuck with a half shaved head as a passport picture for 10 years. :lol:

Well my answer was going to be yes but after looking at my passport for the expiration date it seems it very recently expired. Thank you for starting this thread Dancing Fire. i just wish you had started the thread a few months earlier! :wavey:

Calliecake|1444084508|3935153 said:
Well my answer was going to be yes but after looking at my passport for the expiration date it seems it very recently expired. Thank you for starting this thread Dancing Fire. i just wish you had started the thread a few months earlier! :wavey:
A few month is OK you don't need to reapply just do an update.

I am sure you saved money in the long run.

It cost me $155 to reapply through the USPS.

Yes, always renewed before it expired.

DK :))

But you would of had to renew it twice.

HI:

For sure. We are frequent fliers.

cheers--Sharon

Dancing Fire|1444087294|3935169 said:
You actually saved some money. Even if not expired, the current fee is $110 so if you kept your passport valid, you would have spent $220, which is more than $155.

I've made 6 month pre-expiry reminders for all my nuclear family. Some visa applications will not be accepted with passports that are valid for less than 6 months. Wishful thinking on my part perhaps that we would ever get to travel that often or to these specific countries. But it's good to be prepared! :naughty:

Chrono|1444136474|3935334 said:
Dancing Fire|1444087294|3935169 said:
You actually saved some money. Even if not expired, the current fee is $110 so if you kept your passport valid, you would have spent $220, which is more than $155.

AGREE!

I've never had a passport.

manderz|1444176253|3935589 said:
I've never had a passport.

Think of all the money you have saved! :D

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP