shape
carat
color
clarity

Do wedding bands need to sit flush against an engagement ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luckyguy

Rough_Rock
I was just wondering what people''s opinions were of whether or not a wedding band needed to sit flush against an engagement ring?

My engagement ring is a 3 stone diamond ring with a 1.27 carat center and a 0.33 stone on each side. These stones are set in a high polish platinum setting using four prongs for each stone.

I am considering a regular channel set diamond eternity ring as a wedding band. Also, I am considering a custom made slightly curved channel set diamond eternity ring as a wedding band that would sit flush against the engagement ring band while it curved slightly around the outline of the 3 stones in the engagment ring (like this http://www.jewelryexpert.com/catalog/Platinum-Promise-Ring-with-Band.htm ; except the diamonds on my custom wedding band would go all the way around the band).

Any thoughts as to which way I should go? Would a curved ring still easily spin and thus serve no purpose?

luckyguy

Rough_Rock
Could anyone post the following URL as an active link; I don't know how to get it to work. Thanks...

http://www.jewelryexpert.com/catalog/Platinum-Promise-Ring-with-Band.htm

optimized

Shiny_Rock
As requested,

-Tim
[/u]

kam

Rough_Rock
I don't think a wedding band MUST sit flush against an engagement ring. It's a matter of personal preference. I, for example, do not care if my wedding band sits flush against my engagement ring because I'd rather get the wedding band I adore and be able to wear it without the engagement ring.

However, many women care very much that their wedding band and engagement ring sit together on the finger. If the band and the ring match well--in how much the ring goes out and the band goes out--then they should stick together even if they spin. The spinning seems to be caused more by incorrect ring size than by whether the engagement ring and wedding band fit into each other.

One thing to consider when considering getting a band that fits around the engagement ring is whether your wife will want to wear the wedding band alone. If the band goes out a whole lot to accommodate the engagement ring, then she probably won't want to wear the wedding band alone b/c it will look funny.

From the picture you posted, it seems that the wedding band doesn't curve out so much that the band would look odd alone, but it's hard to tell from just a picture.

Hope this helps!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I definitely agree that it is a preference thing..I prefer that my wed band sit flush against my e-ring and when specifying the design for the e-ring to the jeweler, made sure I stressed this. I personally think it looks odd when the bands don't sit together, and I'm not a fan of the ones that 'fit' together, I forget the name (wrap?) as it's obvious that they are two rings, why not just make them seem like 2 rings just just sit flush instead of trying to make them 'fit'. So my bands will sit flush with each other, obviously 2 rings, but closeby. In an ideal world anyway, we will see when all is said and done.

But some people may like the look and/or feel of having two set apart, or not sitting flush. I have seen many interesting designs in e-rings. However, I do have some friends who have some odd shaped e-rings or the diamond is set too low etc, and they are having a hard time finding a band that works with their tastes. I've also wondered how you get wedding bands for some of the more different shaped settings that are not straight rings but rather curved or fingerlike or the marquis stones.

Darcijoy

Rough_Rock
I had the same problem. I found a curved diamond band at Gillets.com. They have a wonderful variety. Search for F7150. I had them make it in platinum.. Very Pretty!! Diamonds a little small, but they can put in any size I suppose!Good luck!
Darci
wink2.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Until the 1950s, rings were not made to specifically fit into each other. I knew that, but I was still bothered by the gap between my vintage repro EC e-ring and my band. Now, though, I've not only gotten used to the gap, but am loving it. It reminds of of some of those designs where the diamond sits in the middle of two rings.

Anyway, so the short answer is: it's definitely personal preference.
2.gif

Girls-best-friend

Shiny_Rock
My e-ring is a 2.5 carat marquise centerstone with two .50 pear shape side stones. I had a hard time trying to find a wedding band that would fit. I saw and fell in love with the emerald cut eternity band and well just decided to go with it. The gap won't bother me so much. Trying to find a band that fits around the marquise is impossible. Having one made wasn't an option because I might want to wear it without the e-ring and it would just look odd. So I am going with the gap. Not really a big deal to me. The important thing is I got what I wanted in the ring.
wavey.gif

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi LuckyGuy and all,

There is a problem with your grandmothers ring and any straight band next to your three stone engagement ring.
The problem is the band rubs against the lower prongs of your engagement ring and over time, way to short, the prongs have been undercut so that your beautiful three diamond engagement ring is no longer secure and it needs a major overhaul or a replacement. At the same time the band is being eaten away by the same process and the band will also need to be replaced.
I highly recommend either getting the curved band which is very beautiful or soldering the two rings together to keep them from wearing each other down and out.

tweetee928

Rough_Rock
hi. i was wondering what wedding band you finally decided on. i am currently looking for a band to go with my 3 stone e-ring also.

tlscott

Rough_Rock
I am also trying to find a curved platinum wedding band and I was unable to find the website www.gillets.com, was the spelling correct??

Diamond Angel

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 3/21/2003 12:18:13 PM Hest88 wrote:

Until the 1950s, rings were not made to specifically fit into each other. I knew that, but I was still bothered by the gap between my vintage repro EC e-ring and my band. Now, though, I've not only gotten used to the gap, but am loving it. It reminds of of some of those designs where the diamond sits in the middle of two rings.

Anyway, so the short answer is: it's definitely personal preference.
2.gif
----------------

my grandmother had her rings resized a few yrs back and the jeweler told her she was lucky the diamond hadnt fallen out...turns out that they were not made to fit each other and there was damage from them rubbing together wrong...this after many many yrs tho.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im one of those people who is insane about wedding bands being flush (on me.) If its not flush its not worth considering. I specifically had my ering made to sit against any band. I personally don't care for bands that are fitted because I think it should be worn alone and still look good. Having a notched or curved band alone on a finger just makes me cringe sometimes. I have seen a set of matching bands where one was notched and one wasnt. The notched was to sit against the Ering and then another band smooth stacked below it. THAT was ok.

Diamond Angel

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 3/23/2003 3:23:51 PM dimonbob wrote:

Hi LuckyGuy and all,

There is a problem with your grandmothers ring and any straight band next to your three stone engagement ring.
The problem is the band rubs against the lower prongs of your engagement ring and over time, way to short, the prongs have been undercut so that your beautiful three diamond engagement ring is no longer secure and it needs a major overhaul or a replacement. At the same time the band is being eaten away by the same process and the band will also need to be replaced.
I highly recommend either getting the curved band which is very beautiful or soldering the two rings together to keep them from wearing each other down and out.
----------------

oh wow...exactly what i was talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results