shape
carat
color
clarity

Do we need an HCA for chicks?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
So, seriously, diamonds are a girls best friend.

Let''s generalize just a little...this board is for women...exceptions made for Kenny and men of all types (and I''ve got a diamond in my wedding ring, too). It''s for men shopping for women, and women understanding the thing men have shopped for, for them.

But...who researches diamonds?

Men.

Serg, and the guys now in Vegas, and perhaps a preponderance of male jewelers.

Do we have a problem here? See Neatfreak''s and my comments here. I dunno. Is she onto something?

Do guys judge performance different than girls? Should methods for measuring performance vs pretty be sex adjusted?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the HCA was modified for *this* chick then there needs to be an input for carat size. Higher carat weight = better score (taking all the other factors into account of course!).
9.gif

(Hey, I might not be good at the whole "technical" part of this diamond thing, but at least I'm HONEST!
2.gif
)

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2007 3:51:23 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
If the HCA was modified for *this* chick then there needs to be an input for carat size. Higher carat weight = better score (taking all the other factors into account of course!).
9.gif

(Hey, I might not be good at the whole ''technical'' part of this diamond thing, but at least I''m HONEST!
2.gif
)
DJ,

Cost may cover you.

Also, there''s this page, but it''s more of a Pricescope companion, vs built into the HCA.

You serious? Sounds like too much to wrap in.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/31/2007 4:01:25 PM
Author: Regular Guy
Date: 5/31/2007 3:51:23 PM

9.gif

(Hey, I might not be good at the whole 'technical' part of this diamond thing, but at least I'm HONEST!
2.gif
)

DJ,

Cost may cover you.

Also, there's this page, but it's more of a Pricescope companion, vs built into the HCA.

You serious? Sounds like too much to wrap in.

Not serious at all--just couldn't resist mentioning one of the "factors" that scores high for me, LOL! (You're a good sport though for even trying to take my goofy comment into account!)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
well it just so happens ya both is wrong so..... :}
11.gif
9.gif
35.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/31/2007 4:16:36 PM
Author: strmrdr

11.gif
9.gif
35.gif

How''s that Mr. Smartypants?!?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well...I''m probably the exception, but I did *all* of the research for our diamond purchases. I picked out everything, and I think females giving input into their rings is becoming more common these days.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
KC and Storm...

As Austin Powers says...we''re talking criteria, baby...

If the guy is shopping instead of the girl, does he need more help than he already has? To get it right?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2007 4:20:23 PM

Date: 5/31/2007 4:16:36 PM

11.gif
9.gif
35.gif

How's that Mr. Smartypants?!?
see my post in the thread RG linked.
I wasnt talkin bout ya.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2007 5:04:17 PM
Author: Regular Guy
KC and Storm...

As Austin Powers says...we''re talking criteria, baby...

If the guy is shopping instead of the girl, does he need more help than he already has? To get it right?
well now that depends...
Ask wifey2b who buys her bling bling and if I get it right :}

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the thing is that we could NEVER capture the things that go through a woman''s mind when they''re deciding what they want. I think the most important thing for men to consider when buying is not, "what''s the most light return I can get". It''s more "What does my GF/FI/WIFE LIKE? WHY does she like what she likes?". Many men (and there are many exceptions, but I am genealizing here) do not take their signficant other''s preferences into consideration the first go around. They come into buying an ering like they would come into buying a big screen TV, and women just sometimes have such different preferences that they need to be considered as well.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2007 5:23:34 PM
Author: neatfreak
I think the thing is that we could NEVER capture the things that go through a woman''s mind when they''re deciding what they want. I think the most important thing for men to consider when buying is not, ''what''s the most light return I can get''. It''s more ''What does my GF/FI/WIFE LIKE? WHY does she like what she likes?''. Many men (and there are many exceptions, but I am genealizing here) do not take their signficant other''s preferences into consideration the first go around. They come into buying an ering like they would come into buying a big screen TV, and women just sometimes have such different preferences that they need to be considered as well.
Maybe on pricescope guys are concerned about performance, but in the real world its whats the least amount of money I can spend that will make her happy.
I cant even begin to count how many jewelers have said to me that no one cares about that stuff when talking about ideal cut diamonds.
Now should the guy at least ask her what she likes... well yes in a general way at the min.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/31/2007 4:42:24 PM
Author: kcoursolle
Well...I''m probably the exception, but I did *all* of the research for our diamond purchases. I picked out everything, and I think females giving input into their rings is becoming more common these days.

I agree k . . .
I also did all the research for diamonds and helped make sure FI didn''t get "taken"
he really appreciated the help
I really LOVE my diamond AND
most importantly . . .

I let him take ALL the credit when the compliments flow.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2007 5:31:00 PM

Now should the guy at least ask her what she likes... well yes in a general way at the min.
Anyone believe in G?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2007 3:48:43 PM
Author:Regular Guy
So, seriously, diamonds are a girls best friend.

Let''s generalize just a little...this board is for women...exceptions made for Kenny and men of all types (and I''ve got a diamond in my wedding ring, too). It''s for men shopping for women, and women understanding the thing men have shopped for, for them.

But...who researches diamonds?

Men.

Serg, and the guys now in Vegas, and perhaps a preponderance of male jewelers.

Do we have a problem here? See Neatfreak''s and my comments here. I dunno. Is she onto something?

Do guys judge performance different than girls? Should methods for measuring performance vs pretty be sex adjusted?

Performance vs. Pretty!

Performance is data driven. Measurement of different intensities, type of light return, and simulated scintillation techniques built in to some analysis equipment.

Attractiveness, or beauty is different. The evaluation of what attributes are considered in coming up with an opinion of beauty varies wildly from person to person. With both the above, the acutiy of the viewers eyesight and ability to recongnize the innate details, also varies wildly. Verification of what the untrained eye considers attractive is affected by other factors.
Just look at some of the stones sold on ebay that are junk that people who bought them consider them to be "great", astounding, beautiful etc in their feedback comments. In fact this morning I looked at a nice color tourmaline sold on ebay, that is a severely included stone that got raving reviews from the person who bought it. For me, it would be "fish tank gravel." A "joke" in the industry, is the major difference is whether you''re buying it or selling it. There is a severely existing attribute of beauty that is governed by whether or not you own the stone.

I have a stone that looks like an eyeball. TO most people, they would think it''s unattractive because in the realm of light return or stylishness, it is NOT what most people would see the beauty in it. It is a large stone approaching 70 carats. Because it''s large some people think it a "creepy" looking because of its size. My eyes see it differently. It is a strange and unique occurance to have a mineral form in such a way. So to me it is beautiful for other reasons that I appreciate and value, far more than 99% of consumers would. If explained to them how rare and unusual this type of gemological/ mineralogical/crystolographically based how special this is, who might appreciate it more, but still think its unattractive.
So beauty is in the eye of the beholder, isn''t always "complete". The measure of attractiveness is skewed many times, by ownership, a perceived bargain,

But back to diamonds. Size of the stone has an very important affect on appearance,alignment of corresponding facets, both gemologically by measurement and by the human eye.

As for the "branded", unique style stone types, I''ve seen ones in Solasferas that I was not impressed with, and likwise I''ve seen some I have been very impressed with. And that goes for all the branded stones. It is not a "cookie cutter" - the same is true for "every stone of that brand" consideration or judgment.

Then there are natural phomenenons of what we each phsysiologically interpret with seeing things.

So what matters most to you?

Rockdoc

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It''s a toss up!

Actually, lately, couples visting with newly purchased diamonds have really been into quality, size, and perception.

It''s 50/50 and it''s fun to hear what''s important to him and not her and vice versa.

I think the numbers work for both sexes. Equally.
4.gif

and Rockdoc....good luck with that eyeball
23.gif
....don''t let it out of your sight.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2007 7:09:47 PM
Author: Modified Brilliant

It''s 50/50 and it''s fun to hear what''s important to him and not her and vice versa.

I think the numbers work for both sexes. Equally.
4.gif
Is that 50/50 (1:1), or 1:1.618?

and, btw, was the modelling of a diamond based on conceptions of proportions, altogether?

Is there any sense that the greek idea of beauty is somewhat gender based...vs...human/genetically/primarily undifferentiated?

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I did the extensive research into diamonds, prior to us buying my stone. I spoke with John and Brian at WF and Dave Atlas. I had many technical, as well as branding, type questions. My engineer husband was more concerned with how it looked and the value for the money
2.gif
I like my diamonds and my sportscars to perform
31.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm, we see the guys here that are all about the numbers, specs, HCA scores and then there are those that just want a pretty stone for their money. Hoping to get what their GF will like. Many women I have noticed lately do the research for their BF''s. Then hand them a list of stones to check out.
I did research for all the stones we have purchased on PS. Hubby knows this is my thing, so he is glad to hand that job over to me. So far so good.
31.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/31/2007 5:31:00 PM

Date: 5/31/2007 5:23:34 PM
Author: neatfreak
I think the thing is that we could NEVER capture the things that go through a woman''s mind when they''re deciding what they want. I think the most important thing for men to consider when buying is not, ''what''s the most light return I can get''. It''s more ''What does my GF/FI/WIFE LIKE? WHY does she like what she likes?''. Many men (and there are many exceptions, but I am genealizing here) do not take their signficant other''s preferences into consideration the first go around. They come into buying an ering like they would come into buying a big screen TV, and women just sometimes have such different preferences that they need to be considered as well.
Maybe on pricescope guys are concerned about performance, but in the real world its whats the least amount of money I can spend that will make her happy.
I cant even begin to count how many jewelers have said to me that no one cares about that stuff when talking about ideal cut diamonds.
LOL!!!! No beating around the bush with you, storm, ha ha!
36.gif
I think my DH would say the same thing!

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
RG - I read the title and thought you were suggesting a screening tool for girlfriends. Enter a few critical numbers, if she''s under a 2 you definitely want to go out on the date.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2007 9:26:55 PM
Author: elmo
RG - I read the title and thought you were suggesting a screening tool for girlfriends. Enter a few critical numbers, if she''s under a 2 you definitely want to go out on the date.
wifey2b is a 9.8 on the SLA (storm Lady advisor) :}
I dont think a gal would like being called a 2..unless its dress size... LOL

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2007 9:26:55 PM
Author: elmo
Hehe, I thought the exact same thing. And who would decide on the ideal parameters??? I had this vision of The Man Show hosts putting up three hotties and comparing them on the HCA. Oh, dear, LOL!

I think Storm''s right. In the real world most men getting engaged want to get the biggest bang for the buck. But I think if they go by themselves to shop some are so intimidated in a jewelry store that they probably get the ring at the first or second store they go into. They just pick the best one there, relieved as hell to be done with it yet very sad to have parted with so much hard earned money. Most probably know about color and clarity and think cut is all about the shape. And I think most women in real life just want something pretty and sparkly, and perhaps big -- something that their friends will ooo and ahhhh over. Then after the "new" has worn off and she''s worn it to do every imaginable household chore and neglected to clean it for a year, she''ll pretty much take it for granted. BUT NOT THE PS gals, we''re OBSESSED!
9.gif

I don''t think chicks need a separate HCA, I think that it''s great as it is. I personally begin to tune out when it gets into what to me seems like hair splitting detail between a couple of diamonds. They''re all going to look beautiful, but some of the guys seem to get hung up on that one tenth of a percent angle difference in the ideal range that would not probably not be an appreciable difference in real life, every day performance. To me it''s inconsequential, but to the person comparing the diamonds, some little something is the deal maker/breaker. I think it''s a you say potayto, I say potahto thing. Ultimately we all want something that performs well and is the best value for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results