shape
carat
color
clarity

Do vintage settings interfere with brilliance of diamond?

LizLemon

Rough_Rock
First, I want to say that I really like my engagement ring setting. It's very unique and not something you see every day. It also gives extra "oomph" and presence to the stone, which is .56 carat. But having said that, part of me has always wondered if the "boxed setting" interferes with how much the diamond itself stands out, and whether or not it receives enough light to really showcase itself. I have been contemplating having it re-set for about a year now, into a simpler setting (not sure what kind). I've been very hesitant to do so, because my original engagement diamond was irreparably damaged during a routine prong-tightening (by a very reputable jeweler in our area) and I'm pretty gun-shy about the whole process. What are your thoughts? Could I be doing better, or should I leave it alone? Attached is how my ring looks now. :)

IMG_0406pricescope.jpg

IMG_0407pricescope.jpg

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Re: Do vintage settings interfere with brilliance of diamond

Your ring is gorgeous!! I like antique/vintage settings.

I am no expert but my understanding is that the light reflected back to the viewer comes in from the top, not the sides. So bezel settings or settings like yours do not affect a stone's brilliance. If you prefer to see the side of your stone, then that's another story. Your setting has more metal around the stone than a simple tiffany setting. I think settings like yours protect the stone and add a little dimension to it. But there's also a certain beauty to a diamond sitting all by itself where you can see the edges, sides and culet. Your preference.

LizLemon

Rough_Rock

Thank you so much! :wavey:
All great points - I guess I just am having a hard time visualizing what it would look like. I know I would risk the stone looking smaller on my hand, but I don't know *how* much smaller that would actually be, lol.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I love your ring too! IF your diamond is well cut, it will not affect performance because a well cut diamond will gather it's light from the pavillion and will reflect it out the same way. That said a poorly cut diamond will not do this, it will need to gather light from wherever it can, and will perform better in a more open setting and if it kept as clean as possible.

:wavey:

LizLemon

Rough_Rock

Thank you!! :)
It's an OEC -- and I don't know if it has a grading of good/fair/excellent, etc. But what I do know is that I have never seen a stone throw colors around like this one does. I love this stone!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

LizLemon|1310962663|2971152 said:
Thank you!! :)
It's an OEC -- and I don't know if it has a grading of good/fair/excellent, etc. But what I do know is that I have never seen a stone throw colors around like this one does. I love this stone!

I think you are golden then. I love OECs. And I really love your setting Keep it clean and you will be fine!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your ring is gorgeous. I love it with your band too.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Beautiful ring!!

simikjean

Rough_Rock

Your ring is gorgeous!! I

LizLemon

Rough_Rock

Thank you all so much! :twirl:

As far as keeping it super clean - it's tough with this particular setting. I think that's part of why I feel an itch to change it.

Maybe investing a good ultrasonic is in order?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love illusion settings! Your ring is very sparkly!

I have an OEC setting in an illusion setting with filigree and it just must not be the best cut stone ever, I have to keep it super clean, but I just love it. When it's clean, I think it's noticeable from what seems like miles away. I think with the other stones it's the entire package and your setting sure is stunning!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results