shape
carat
color
clarity

Do tiny details bother other people - or just me?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alloamie

Shiny_Rock
I just received a SP eternity band: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sp-facets-band-is-here-not-sure-what-i-think-yet.101820/

I may be over-analyzing & scrutinizing the poor ring, but i notice some small details that are kind of bugging me.
1) The holes on the inside of the ring are not lined up. They all fall below the center and some are close to touching the edge, so kind of zig-zag, connect-the dots, and not one, straight, centered line.
2) When looking at the profile of the ring, some of the stones don''t match the curve of the ring, but are set crooked.

I realize that nothing''s perfect, but I''m just wondering if these small details are things that I need to let slide - or something that SP needs to fix?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I notice the small details after the excitement of the newness wears off. Things like that do drive me crazy but it all depends on how much I like the piece. I do think your eband is gorgeous.

alloamie

Shiny_Rock
I called SP this morning.
They offered to make me a new ring, but couldn''t guarantee that the holes would line up. They said that the holes being crooked does not affect the integrity of the ring, and that they''re only there for cleaning purposes.
They did mention that the holes SHOULD be lined up, but that since the ring passed quality control, that it should be "fine."

I also asked if the ring could be set a wee bit lower. They said that if it were to be set lower, it would become a channel set band but with prongs...Does that make sense?

So I''ll try it out for a while and decide whether or not to send it back for a new ring. The fact that I know that the ring isn''t the "best" that it can be is making me feel like i should send it back. What do you all think?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly if the only issue is with the holes, I wouldn't bother because it can't be seen...but that's just me.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
The tiny details bother me too but at some point we have to just let it go. I think the mis-aligned diamonds will bother me more than the dots not lining up. The holes are inside and even you won''t see it while it is on your finger.

clop

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 12:41:02 PM
Author: alloamie

They did mention that the holes SHOULD be lined up, but that since the ring passed quality control, that it should be ''fine.''

Hiya alloamie! Sorry to see that your band isn''t quite perfect. Your engagement ring set however is beautiful! Perhaps SP''s quality control is just a bit lax? They themselves said the holes should line up afterall. You''re not alone, it would bother me tremendously. You''re paying for a non crooked ring, I''d want a replacement or search elsewhere.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If your diamonds are set crooked, I WOULD send the ring back. If you can see that from the top or side and it''s bugging you now, you may find youself later regretting not getting it fixed.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crooked stones would bother me, but the cleaning holes being misalligned would not. If it bothers you then I would send it back while you still have the opportunity to do so.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 1:18:24 AM
Author:alloamie
I just received a SP eternity band: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sp-facets-band-is-here-not-sure-what-i-think-yet.101820/

I may be over-analyzing & scrutinizing the poor ring, but i notice some small details that are kind of bugging me.
1) The holes on the inside of the ring are not lined up. They all fall below the center and some are close to touching the edge, so kind of zig-zag, connect-the dots, and not one, straight, centered line.
2) When looking at the profile of the ring, some of the stones don''t match the curve of the ring, but are set crooked.

I realize that nothing''s perfect, but I''m just wondering if these small details are things that I need to let slide - or something that SP needs to fix?
These problems would bother me.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In the old days, and still, in theory, jewelry is supposed to represent "perfection". A perfect love, a perfect object, a perfect product from a skilled craftsman, etc. The reality if today's rapid pace is a diminishing quality of these finer aspects of living. We rush to get the job done and compromise on the quality in the process. A lot of quality control is done as fast as humanly possible and only glaring issues get rejected.

A consumer is very much entitled to nit pick visible quality defects. Jewelers surely lose money to fix things or to do them over for customers, but most will do anything reasonable to make an individual happy. So many people are not at all quality aware that the few complaints just are dealt with as they arise. I suppose it costs less to just put out the little fires as they come up rather than do a perfect job on every single item.

The holes under diamonds are definitely supposed to line up, side to side and along their length. The diamonds above the holes should be right above the center of each hole. It may make no difference in durability if they holes are all over the place and it may look perfect when you are wearing the piece, but a mess underneath is not something you must accept. Again, may people just don't look or care, but if you do, then you probably can get it made right on the second attempt.

Don't accept a job which is not going to make you very happy! Later on you will regret it if you are a perfectionist. Why do that to yourself when you can get it corrected? Good Luck with the re-do.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
it's not you. It would bother me and I would expect the holes to even underneath. the hole's are usually there in cast peice's so not sure how they are all crooked. I emailed the folks at Michael b a while ago about their rings b/c they do not have the holes. Here is what Matthew said and although I'm not a jeweler what he says make's sense to me. I don't object to cast rings at all but they shouldn't get a free pass on being as close to perfect as they can be and many would argue should be closer to perfect than a handmade ring.

Matthew's quote:

Traditionally, yellow gold was in vogue and the yellow background made the
diamonds look yellow, so holes were used to avoid the yellowing effect of
yellow gold.

MB focused on platinum for bridal and the diamonds actually looked
whiter with the reflection of the pure white metal beneath the diamond.

Also, holes in the back often result in lotion and other residue coming up
into the hole and making the diamonds filthy, forcing you to constantly use
ultra sonic cleaners which in turn loosen the diamonds.

Finally, holes are most often seen in jewelry that is cast to save the
manufacturer money on the amount of metal being used, so that you end up
with a more flimsy and less structurally integrous ring.

We make everything by hand, so structurally the ring is more sound, more
pure, more solid and more beautiful.

A jeweler making a ring by hand won't sit there and drill holes in the back
on purpose, that comes straight out of a wax/mold process which also results
in greater porosity than hand made jewelry.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/10/2008 2:54:31 PM
Author: oldminer
In the old days, and still, in theory, jewelry is supposed to represent ''perfection''. A perfect love, a perfect object, a perfect product from a skilled craftsman, etc. The reality if today''s rapid pace is a diminishing quality of these finer aspects of living. We rush to get the job done and compromise on the quality in the process. A lot of quality control is done as fast as humanly possible and only glaring issues get rejected.

A consumer is very much entitled to nit pick visible quality defects. Jewelers surely lose money to fix things or to do them over for customers, but most will do anything reasonable to make an individual happy. So many people are not at all quality aware that the few complaints just are dealt with as they arise. I suppose it costs less to just put out the little fires as they come up rather than do a perfect job on every single item.

The holes under diamonds are definitely supposed to line up, side to side and along their length. The diamonds above the holes should be right above the center of each hole. It may make no difference in durability if they holes are all over the place and it may look perfect when you are wearing the piece, but a mess underneath is not something you must accept. Again, may people just don''t look or care, but if you do, then you probably can get it made right on the second attempt.

Don''t accept a job which is not going to make you very happy! Later on you will regret it if you are a perfectionist. Why do that to yourself when you can get it corrected? Good Luck with the re-do.
Ditto

clop

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 3:46:37 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Traditionally, yellow gold was in vogue and the yellow background made the

diamonds look yellow, so holes were used to avoid the yellowing effect of

yellow gold.

MB focused on platinum for bridal and the diamonds actually looked

whiter with the reflection of the pure white metal beneath the diamond.

Also, holes in the back often result in lotion and other residue coming up

into the hole and making the diamonds filthy, forcing you to constantly use

ultra sonic cleaners which in turn loosen the diamonds.

Finally, holes are most often seen in jewelry that is cast to save the

manufacturer money on the amount of metal being used, so that you end up

with a more flimsy and less structurally integrous ring.

We make everything by hand, so structurally the ring is more sound, more

pure, more solid and more beautiful.

A jeweler making a ring by hand won''t sit there and drill holes in the back

on purpose, that comes straight out of a wax/mold process which also results

in greater porosity than hand made jewelry.

Thanks for sharing that mrssalvo! I always wondered why some rings had the holes, and some didn''t. That was really helpful, and makes sense.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
What I don''t get is this type of ring can be cnc cut from a die struck blank and be absolutely perfect, so how can they mess it up?

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Let me tell you - I'm the worst most pickiest person you will probably ever meet! It would bug THE CRAP out of me if this were my situation. Sometimes I think that I am just over-analyzing things too. That's just how I am. I want everything to be perfect even though I know everything is not perfect.

If it bothers you, do something about it. Otherwise you will never get past it and you will have always wished you did something about it. That's what I would do. Send it back!!

ETA- If they can't take care of the situation for you, or if they replace it and it still isn't right, I'd take my business elsewhere where you can find something that makes you happy!

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 2:54:31 PM
Author: oldminer
In the old days, and still, in theory, jewelry is supposed to represent 'perfection'. A perfect love, a perfect object, a perfect product from a skilled craftsman, etc. The reality if today's rapid pace is a diminishing quality of these finer aspects of living. We rush to get the job done and compromise on the quality in the process. A lot of quality control is done as fast as humanly possible and only glaring issues get rejected.

The holes under diamonds are definitely supposed to line up, side to side and along their length. The diamonds above the holes should be right above the center of each hole. It may make no difference in durability if they holes are all over the place and it may look perfect when you are wearing the piece, but a mess underneath is not something you must accept. Again, may people just don't look or care, but if you do, then you probably can get it made right on the second attempt.

Don't accept a job which is not going to make you very happy! Later on you will regret it if you are a perfectionist. Why do that to yourself when you can get it corrected? Good Luck with the re-do.
oldminer- You always say the perfect things! I couldn't agree more. I haven't seen any of your posts lately because I try to stay away from RockyTalky (for the time being anyway
12.gif
)

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
The MB explanation makes a lot of sense. I completely agree with the statement about the lotion too :razz:

alloamie

Shiny_Rock
I really appreciate all of the feedback!
The ring is packed up & ready to be shipped out. I''m keeping my fingers crossed that it will be "perfect" the second time around!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck to you. I absolutely believe you are doing the right thing in sending it back. It needs to be remade and you need to be happy with your purchase. I''m sure they will do everything possible to make you happy.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Glad you shipped it back--I hope your expectations are met the second time around. Details like that really bug me too--can''t wait to see the new one!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results