shape
carat
color
clarity

Do these sapphires look too dark?

Maria L

Rough_Rock
Hi all may I ask for your opinion please?

Really like the design of this second handed necklace (1st photo) sourced by a trusted reseller. 10.3ct blue sapphires, 5ct diamond and 37g 18k white gold. Asking price around 10k usd.

They are all emerald cut which in fact quite suitable for the necklace design in my opinion.

Do you think these sapphires look too dark and not worth the asking price? I got a bracelet (2nd photo) and do think the stones are too dark without sunlight. Many thanks.

Screenshot_20240417_095043_Messenger.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240417_095108_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20240417_095108_Messenger.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 20

Maria L

Rough_Rock
Hi all may I ask for your opinion please?

Really like the design of this second handed necklace (1st photo) sourced by a trusted reseller. 10.3ct blue sapphires, 5ct diamond and 37g 18k white gold. Asking price around 10k usd.

They are all emerald cut which in fact quite suitable for the necklace design in my opinion.

Do you think these sapphires look too dark and not worth the asking price? I got a bracelet (2nd photo) and do think the stones are too dark without sunlight. Many thanks.

Screenshot_20240417_095043_Messenger.jpg

Just received this photo from reseller, taken under the sunlight.

Screenshot_20240417_112240_Messenger.jpg

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
If you find the bracelet to be too dark in most lights, then you'll definitely think the same about the necklace as well. I like the look of dark blue sapphires, but if you don't, then any price will be too much because you simply won't wear a piece you don't like.

Maria L

Rough_Rock
If you find the bracelet to be too dark in most lights, then you'll definitely think the same about the necklace as well. I like the look of dark blue sapphires, but if you don't, then any price will be too much because
If you find the bracelet to be too dark in most lights, then you'll definitely think the same about the necklace as well. I like the look of dark blue sapphires, but if you don't, then any price will be too much because you simply won't wear a piece you don't like.

I prefer more vivid colour but do think darker sapphires would suit this design better. I know vivid colour would cost a lot more but just unsure about the price of darker sapphires.

10.3ct. of sapphires, 5ct. of diamonds, and 37g. of 18kwg for $10k? I'd say it's a great price. I don't even need 4 C's or treatment info to give that opinion. Are the sapphires darker than ideal? Sure. But if you love this necklace and are simply asking if it's worth the price, my answer would be yes.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
its a beautiful necklace but you are wise to consider how dark it may look

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was going to say "Ooh get that bracelet instead!" but then re-read your post!

I agree with @Autumn in New England that it may be a decent value (although it's a lot of small diamonds). I agree with @Daisys and Diamonds that it is likely to be dark.

To show vibrant blue in a necklace, I think you need medium tone, decent cut, and a lot of saturation; all the light comes from above. I don't think you have that scenario. Compare that to a ring, or even a bracelet, where you tilt it up with the table horizontal to admire it -- much more likely to catch that overhead light perpendicular to the table.

Also, that first photo is backlit to show the blue. And I bet it's a phone photo so mentally subtract a little (or a lot) from even that. I'm not seeing much blue at all in the sunlit photo. They are probably Thai sapphires?

I am also not crazy about the design -- with the rectangular bezels set at a jaunty angle (kite-shaped, if they were squares). It could be absolutely lovely on the neck but it looks a little chaotic in the photos. I would want on-the-neck shots for sure. I worry it would always look like it is kinked or twisted.

I think you can find a lot more fun for 10K.

Maria L

Rough_Rock
Was going to say "Ooh get that bracelet instead!" but then re-read your post!

I agree with @Autumn in New England that it may be a decent value (although it's a lot of small diamonds). I agree with @Daisys and Diamonds that it is likely to be dark.

To show vibrant blue in a necklace, I think you need medium tone, decent cut, and a lot of saturation; all the light comes from above. I don't think you have that scenario. Compare that to a ring, or even a bracelet, where you tilt it up with the table horizontal to admire it -- much more likely to catch that overhead light perpendicular to the table.

Also, that first photo is backlit to show the blue. And I bet it's a phone photo so mentally subtract a little (or a lot) from even that. I'm not seeing much blue at all in the sunlit photo. They are probably Thai sapphires?

I am also not crazy about the design -- with the rectangular bezels set at a jaunty angle (kite-shaped, if they were squares). It could be absolutely lovely on the neck but it looks a little chaotic in the photos. I would want on-the-neck shots for sure. I worry it would always look like it is kinked or twisted.

I think you can find a lot more fun for 10K.
Thanks so much for your advice. Attached is the model shot. I really like the design with irregular stone shapes and directions but agreed with you that the colour looked Thai sapphires .

Screenshot_20240418_072307_Gallery.jpg

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ Looks better on than I expected, gotta say. I still don't love the rectangles-at-an-angle. A fair bit of "presence" for the price.

I'm too finicky about sapphire color to be much help on this, though.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While it's all personal preference, my preference is for sapphires that are not that dark.

At a glance in many lighting environments they initially just look almost black, and you'd have to look closely to make out the blue.

But again, the most important thing is if YOU like it.
As to the price it does seem low for all that bling.
Makes me wonder if all the stones are really mined from the earth, and whether some are treated in a lab.
The only way to verify all that is by sending each stone to a reputable lab like GIA or AGS - which of course would cost lots.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results