shape
carat
color
clarity

Do these necklaces flip?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on where it hits your neck and what the back looks like. On me 18 inches does not flip but 20 does. what does the back look like?

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
It depends on where it hits your neck and what the back looks like. On me 18 inches does not flip but 20 does. what does the back look like?

I haven’t asked. I didn’t realize that the back mattered! In what way does it matter?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a similar necklace with a bezel. The problem I struggle with is that it doesn’t stay in the right spot. It shifts up toward my shoulder and I’m constantly checking it to make sure it’s straight. Pretty stone!

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
I have a similar necklace with a bezel. The problem I struggle with is that it doesn’t stay in the right spot. It shifts up toward my shoulder and I’m constantly checking it to make sure it’s straight. Pretty stone!

Hi, @Slick1 , is your bezel attached to the chain or is it free to slide on the chain?

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
I heard back from the IG seller and she said that they are open backed. Does that make them less likely to flip? She says that they don’t flip.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the chain is attached to the setting, the stone can “travel” around your neck and be off-center. I have one of her bezeled diamond solitaires and it does that from time to time.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

alittlelight

Shiny_Rock
Premium
A few years ago, I switched my pendants from bales, which allowed the stones to slide on the chain, to fixed on the chain like this. Each brings its irritations. Yes, the attached ones like this sometimes shift over. But I much prefer that to what was happening before, which was that the clasp of the necklace was ALWAYS sliding around to the front.

alittlelight

Shiny_Rock
Premium
And my stones have never flipped, which — sorry! — was your original question!

VeryUndecided

Shiny_Rock
I've got a solitaire diamond Tiffany necklace. When I first got it, in original length, it would flip all the time. I have extended the chain by about 2.5 cm and no more flipping :D So I think it is all about the length which is right for you and where it hits you below your collarbone.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
@eesmom I have a similar pendant with the setting attached directly to the chain, it doesn't really flip at all, but as so many have mentioned, it does shift around my neck constantly, and I find myself having to fidget with it to reposition the stone more than I enjoy. I don't foresee getting a setting like that again.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I have a custom small diamond in a fixed setting like this, and while it does travel slightly back and forth, it doesn't flip much at all. Actually, the lack of center-seating is a benefit not a drawback for my daily look, as my stone is small and I want it to look carelessly askew. Windswept, as it were.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@eesmom I have a similar pendant with the setting attached directly to the chain, it doesn't really flip at all, but as so many have mentioned, it does shift around my neck constantly, and I find myself having to fidget with it to reposition the stone more than I enjoy. I don't foresee getting a setting like that again.

I bet it almost always goes in one direction.
I have been trying to work that out - e.g. do left hand peoples necklaces turn a different direction than right handed peoples

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
@Garry H (Cut Nut) That's an interesting observation, and I wish I could definitively tell you which direction it migrates, but I honestly can't say I've paid specific attention to how it moves, only that it does.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Garry H (Cut Nut) That's an interesting observation, and I wish I could definitively tell you which direction it migrates, but I honestly can't say I've paid specific attention to how it moves, only that it does.

It may even be like water in the sink - different directions in the southern hemisphere!

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
I have a custom small diamond in a fixed setting like this, and while it does travel slightly back and forth, it doesn't flip much at all. Actually, the lack of center-seating is a benefit not a drawback for my daily look, as my stone is small and I want it to look carelessly askew. Windswept, as it were.

I think I like that image of “windswept!”

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
I've got a solitaire diamond Tiffany necklace. When I first got it, in original length, it would flip all the time. I have extended the chain by about 2.5 cm and no more flipping :D So I think it is all about the length which is right for you and where it hits you below your collarbone.

Very good to know! I guess I’ll have to get it and adjust the length if needed. =)2

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
A few years ago, I switched my pendants from bales, which allowed the stones to slide on the chain, to fixed on the chain like this. Each brings its irritations. Yes, the attached ones like this sometimes shift over. But I much prefer that to what was happening before, which was that the clasp of the necklace was ALWAYS sliding around to the front.

Yes! I hate it when I am constantly adjusting the clasp too! This may be a good solution for me.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bet it almost always goes in one direction.
I have been trying to work that out - e.g. do left hand peoples necklaces turn a different direction than right handed peoples

Right handed, it always shifts left.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Right handed, mine always shifts to my right. So weird!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
DW has her fair share of pendants and has found the shape of the links in the chain can sometimes effect roll over, flipping, and sideways movement. I think this is caused when the links in the chain get caught on the edge of the bale, and then any movement of the chain produces a movement of the pendant. The most problematic chains had links shaped like this:

Screenshot (499).png

The best performing chains were very smooth with no protruding edges. Wheat chains (sometimes called spiga) work well:

Screenshot (501).png

As do round box chains, although these are less common.

14KYG Box Round 2.1gm 18in.jpg

Not 100% successful in solving every problem, but definitely worth a try. Sometimes we had to change the shape of the bale or its position to fix things.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i have a bezeled pendant and it doesn't flip but because it slides on the chain, the chain is what moves (instead of the pendant moving off-center). the clasp travels around to the front once or twice a day and i have to pull it back around.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results