shape
carat
color
clarity

Do these look like VS and above? I'm slightly panicking

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
I was so enamored with my wedding band that I never stopped to check the stones from this new jeweler I was working with :(

He sold me the stones as "best quality" I asked him to match my main stone DEF and VS1 and above. The stones are 3.60mm so small but not tiny. I started scrutinizing them because they didn't look "watery" or clear and I kept cleaning them but they still appeared a little cloudy (without a loupe). These pics are after cleaning the ring about 4 times so I dont think it dirt :cry2:

I realized my paperwork/receipt doesn't even specify the quality either so don't know how much recourse I have

IMG_2105.jpeg

IMG_2104.jpeg
IMG_2106.jpeg
IMG_2087.jpeg

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you sure they are clean, clean?

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
Are you sure they are clean, clean?

Yes, I clean cleaned them. I've cleaned them about 10 times now. This is under a 10x's loupe.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can’t tell what I’m seeing, could be water spots. How are you cleaning it?

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
I can’t tell what I’m seeing, could be water spots. How are you cleaning it?

Dawn dish soap and warm water with a little toothbrush. I then dry with a clean towel. This is how I clean my engagement ring and other jewelry too.

Frenchieglitter

Rough_Rock
Try cleaning, then use a blow dryer to dry it to prevent water spots. But be sure to use something like end of the toothbrush to hold it down so you don't blow it across the room.

Also, may already do this, but make sure you clean behind the stones. And that any towel is soft and lint free. But blow drying is really key for spot free stones IMO

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try cleaning, then use a blow dryer to dry it to prevent water spots. But be sure to use something like end of the toothbrush to hold it down so you don't blow it across the room.

Also, may already do this, but make sure you clean behind the stones. And that any towel is soft and lint free. But blow drying is really key for spot free stones IMO

I agree, cleaning the pavilion is key.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like soap film on the tables. Editing to ask if you are sure they are not moissanites with the oil slick? Did you use a reputable vendor?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Easiest way to address is visit a different reputable jeweler and have it cleaned and inspected and ask them.

But to me it looks like film from soap and drying water.

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
I've cleaned and cleaned them. It's hard to get a good picture but there are a bunch of "dots" that look like inclusions. IMG_2114.jpeg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have it professionally steam-cleaned. Those don't look like inclusions to me.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Look like dried water spots to me

Frenchieglitter

Rough_Rock
@Musa15
Did you try blow drying it after washing? This is really perplexing. I also use dawn, warm water, and a soft toothbrush. After blow drying my stones are crystal clear/clean. The way your stones are set it should be pretty easy to get them squeaky clean. (Again be sure to hold the ring down so you don't blow it across the room)

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not at my computer to look at the pics closely, based on the prosumers and your description it could be polishing compound on the stones. It is not uncommon on new and just worked on jewellery.
A professional steam clean is the only thing that will remove it sometimes.

If that's not the case are you using distilled water?
Dawn will not leave a film but hard water will leave spots.
Even filtered drinking water is better than the hard water in many areas.

My suggestion is the same either way, professional steam clean and reevaluate.

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
Not at my computer to look at the pics closely, based on the prosumers and your description it could be polishing compound on the stones. It is not uncommon on new and just worked on jewellery.
A professional steam clean is the only thing that will remove it sometimes.

If that's not the case are you using distilled water?
Dawn will not leave a film but hard water will leave spots.
Even filtered drinking water is better than the hard water in many areas.

My suggestion is the same either way, professional steam clean and reevaluate.

Thank you for your input. We had the stones professionally steam cleaned by the jeweler that sold me the ring and the dots are still present. I asked the jeweler if they looked like VS and above to him and he said they looked like "standard" VS and above. I have many stones (albeit none as small as these) and these seem more like SI's to me. :(

He did agree to replace one stone that appeared dark and cloudy (on top of having dots) and he said he's not sure what happened to the stone that it may have gotten "burned" during manufacturing. The rest of the stones look like they're "standard" according to him.

Frenchieglitter

Rough_Rock
"Burned"?? Is that something that can happen to diamonds?? Never heard of such a thing. I hope one of the PS experts chimes in on that, I'm very interested what that means and if that's possible. Sounds so ifffy to me, diamonds are created under immense heat how the heck would it get burned??

FWIW your rings look beautiful together. As long as the stones are bright and sparkly to the naked eye, and you paid a fair price for what you received, then I'd try not to worry what the loupe shows. Sometimes I also get too focused on what's in a loupe, then I read where someone on PS said loupes are the thief of joy and it was like a light bulb went on haha. So I try to be less worried and critical about what I can see under magnification now. I hope you're feeling better about it and can still enjoy your set. Glad he's replacing the one stone at least.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
"Burned"?? Is that something that can happen to diamonds?? Never heard of such a thing. I hope one of the PS experts chimes in on that, I'm very interested what that means and if that's possible. Sounds so ifffy to me, diamonds are created under immense heat how the heck would it get burned??
Yes diamonds will burn if there is oxygen present, no oxygen they can handle extreme heat with oxygen they burn.
Coatings are applied to keep oxygen away from the stones while the metal is soldered.

Musa15

Shiny_Rock

FWIW your rings look beautiful together. As long as the stones are bright and sparkly to the naked eye, and you paid a fair price for what you received, then I'd try not to worry what the loupe shows. Sometimes I also get too focused on what's in a loupe, then I read where someone on PS said loupes are the thief of joy and it was like a light bulb went on haha. So I try to be less worried and critical about what I can see under magnification now. I hope you're feeling better about it and can still enjoy your set. Glad he's replacing the one stone at least.

You're right. This is exactly where I'm at now. At first I was bummed that I didn't get what I paid for exactly but I am really hard on myself around being a "perfectionist" and it's really not worth it. My wedding set is beautiful ♥️ and super shiny! I get compliments all the time from it ♥️

Another thing that came up with the jeweler was the number of times I clean my set in a day. I told them I cleaned my rings twice a day (which is under reporting, I actually clean them at least 5x's a day I just didn't want to appear as crazy as I really am). And they were in SHOCK they said that's way too much. The ladies working there said that they work at the jewelry store and clean their set no more than once a week/every 2 weeks.

To be fair, I've had my rings for less than a year and I love seeing them sparkle. I also have a very "watery" looking OMC stone that acts more like a step cut in the way it shows dirt/fingerprints instead of a brilliant cut which I think hides more fingerprints, so I try to keep it really clean.

Frenchieglitter

Rough_Rock
Another thing that came up with the jeweler was the number of times I clean my set in a day. I told them I cleaned my rings twice a day (which is under reporting, I actually clean them at least 5x's a day I just didn't want to appear as crazy as I really am). And they were in SHOCK they said that's way too much. The ladies working there said that they work at the jewelry store and clean their set no more than once a week/every 2 weeks.

Did they explain why it's too much to clean rings daily?? Also surprised by this. I clean my rings daily, sometimes more than that as well. I can't stand dirt and fingerprints messing up my sparkle level. You have gold and diamonds. You use the gentle cleaner and a soft tooth brush, so what's the problem? I do clean my white gold a bit less often, hopefully to extend the rhodium plating longer, but I still polish the stones daily with a cloth. And, for example, my white gold diamond earrings are in 24/7 for about 3 years. They get a daily shower and the gold and stones are like new. (I remove them to inspect prongs periodically)

Again, hoping PSers with more knowledge than I chime in on this. Is there such a thing as cleaning gold and diamonds too much?

ETA maybe they're worried cleaning will loosen prongs? But wouldn't it be better to clean dirt off your stones and keep it out of the prongs? Also, by cleaning there's less dirt that may scratch the gold? Guess I'm annoyed by this, lol! Cleaning my treasures is a favorite part of my day! I mean, wake up, shower and wash the jewelry for the day. Before bed, wash face and clean jewelry that was worn. I wouldn't go to bed with a dirty face or put dirty jewelry back in my jewelry armoire, ick.:think:

Last edited:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I think Kenny cleans his rings daily with alcohol and compressed air. He'll correct me if I'm wrong. Having seen rings not cleaned for years, I'd say youre driving in the right lane.

Frenchieglitter

Rough_Rock
I guess in don't always feel the need to clean whatever I cleaned before bed right in the morning, maybe sometimes just for funsies :lol-2: But I do clean during the day when I see a noticeable lotion or fingerprints and at night before bed... favorite nightly ritual. Diamonds are magnets for lotion and fingerprints despite best efforts! So cleaning happens on average a twice a day. I also don't like to remove rings to wash hands when not at home. Too risky I'll drop it or leave it behind. So that up the washes per day as well.
I've just never really over thought it. Hope I don't have to start worrying about that now!!

Frenchieglitter

Rough_Rock
Having seen rings not cleaned for years, I'd say youre driving in the right lane.

You're spot on here! I feel so sad for dirty jewelry, just wana say give me that! I'll clean it up and return to you all shiny and pretty! I have friends that rave how sparkly and pretty my rings and other pieces are, and they ask why theirs aren't. I keep telling them just learn to clean their jewelry (and how I do it) so they will be sparkling again! Weird how a lot of ladies I know think only the jeweler can clean wedding rings etc. Imagine going 6+ months between decent cleanings!! Yikes!!

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I clean my jewelry every time I put it on. So my rings get cleaned daily (and sometimes additionally throughout the day if they are not looking their sparkliest). Never had an issue with that being detrimental. I clean them with a soap made for jewelry and a baby toothbrush.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Clean it as often as you want to.
I an not a fan of tooth brushes unless absolutely needed but Garry disagrees.
Be gentle and remove any dust and grit first with a swish in soap water first.
Im a fan of a swish in distilled water mixed with dawn dish soap in a plastic cup then either a swish in distilled water or a spray bottle of distilled water. Canned air can be used for quick drying or lay it down on a lint free clothe.
Check your prongs often with a loupe.

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
Did they explain why it's too much to clean rings daily?? Also surprised by this. I clean my rings daily, sometimes more than that as well. I can't stand dirt and fingerprints messing up my sparkle level. You have gold and diamonds. You use the gentle cleaner and a soft tooth brush, so what's the problem? I do clean my white gold a bit less often, hopefully to extend the rhodium plating longer, but I still polish the stones daily with a cloth. And, for example, my white gold diamond earrings are in 24/7 for about 3 years. They get a daily shower and the gold and stones are like new. (I remove them to inspect prongs periodically)

Again, hoping PSers with more knowledge than I chime in on this. Is there such a thing as cleaning gold and diamonds too much?

ETA maybe they're worried cleaning will loosen prongs? But wouldn't it be better to clean dirt off your stones and keep it out of the prongs? Also, by cleaning there's less dirt that may scratch the gold? Guess I'm annoyed by this, lol! Cleaning my treasures is a favorite part of my day! I mean, wake up, shower and wash the jewelry for the day. Before bed, wash face and clean jewelry that was worn. I wouldn't go to bed with a dirty face or put dirty jewelry back in my jewelry armoire, ick.:think:

It's one of my favorite "rituals" too! I think they were speaking from a ring durability perspective? Not sure. But I will continue to keep my rings clean

Musa15

Shiny_Rock
Clean it as often as you want to.
I an not a fan of tooth brushes unless absolutely needed but Garry disagrees.
Be gentle and remove any dust and grit first with a swish in soap water first.
Im a fan of a swish in distilled water mixed with dawn dish soap in a plastic cup then either a swish in distilled water or a spray bottle of distilled water. Canned air can be used for quick drying or lay it down on a lint free clothe.
Check your prongs often with a loupe.

This is what I've been doing! The jewelers were appalled I used dawn dish soap. But I've always had great results with it and everyone on here seems to agree with the warm water and dish soap method. I do use a soft toothbrush.

I sometimes heat the water up a tiny bit in the microwave or with the tea kettle when I need to deep clean my jewelry and get a sense of satisfaction when I see debris at the bottom of the dish

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Adding a couple drops of household ammonia also works a charm.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results