shape
carat
color
clarity

Do these diamonds match?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PortlandKelly

Rough_Rock

I am thinking about pulling the diamonds out of a pendant and a ring to make into matching earrings. Are these two stones close enough in size and quality to make into earrings?

Stone 1: 4.92mm, SI2 color I, .49 carat
Stone 2: 5.35mm, SI1 color I, .53 carat

And if they match, What are your opinions on LeverBacks or Omega-Backs? I would wear these earrings 24-7. I currently wear smaller diamond studs so I'm kinda wanting a change.

Kelear.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since your ears aren't next to each other, I don't think anyone will notice the size difference. If set together in a ring, the difference will be noticeable upon close inspection. I know that personally, I can tell the difference between 0.5 mm

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 2:34:36 PM
Author:PortlandKelly

I am thinking about pulling the diamonds out of a pendant and a ring to make into matching earrings. Are these two stones close enough in size and quality to make into earrings?

Stone 1: 4.92mm, SI2 color I, .49 carat
Stone 2: 5.35mm, SI1 color I, .53 carat

And if they match, What are your opinions on LeverBacks or Omega-Backs? I would wear these earrings 24-7. I currently wear smaller diamond studs so I''m kinda wanting a change.

Hi Kelly,

I think the chances are good, do you have the depth and table for each? In this size and for earrings you probably have a fair bit of leeway.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I'd probably go for a tighter match, but that's just me. I have a pair of studs that are about a .4mm difference, and it bugs the heck out of me when I look in the mirror.
9.gif
Depends on what you might notice.

I like the leverbacks.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 2:49:33 PM
Author: coatimundi
I''d probably go for a tighter match, but that''s just me. I have a pair of studs that are about a .4mm difference, and it bugs the heck out of me when I look in the mirror.
9.gif

I like the leverbacks.
Thanks for that coaties, it is good to bring up actual experiences as sometimes the eye can be tricky.....
27.gif
Like a minuscule pinprick mark on my precious car, no one else sees it but my eyes go right to it!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 2:52:25 PM
Author: Lorelei

I'd probably go for a tighter match, but that's just me. I have a pair of studs that are about a .4mm difference, and it bugs the heck out of me when I look in the mirror.
9.gif

I like the leverbacks.

Thanks for that coaties, it is good to bring up actual experiences as sometimes the eye can be tricky.....
27.gif
Like a minuscule pinprick mark on my precious car, no one else sees it but my eyes go right to it!

heehee I am the same!

I have friends who would never notice these differences, so I completely understand that too! Also, if the price is right, that can make me turn a blind eye.
9.gif
31.gif

PortlandKelly--can't wait to see what you choose!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it really depends on the person. Some are able to pick out the details like slight size difference while it doesn''t phase others. Since you have both diamonds in your possession, can YOU see the difference in size?

PortlandKelly

Rough_Rock
Stone 1: 4.92mm, SI2 color I, .49 carat, depth 3.11mm
Stone 2: 5.35mm, SI1 color I, .53 carat, depth 3.0mm
Alas, I don''t have the table info, but I do remember the tables not really matching when I was eyeballing them. (they are back in the safe deposit box at the bank)

Arg, maybe I should have the jeweler pull them from the settings so I can get a better idea if the size differences will annoy me or not. Or maybe I can have them put a thicker bezel around the smaller one.
33.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don''t have to remove them from the setting; just place the 2 stones (in their settings) side by side and see if you can see the size difference.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 3:01:19 PM

Date: 2/4/2009 2:52:25 PM

I''d probably go for a tighter match, but that''s just me. I have a pair of studs that are about a .4mm difference, and it bugs the heck out of me when I look in the mirror.
9.gif

I like the leverbacks.

27.gif

heehee I am the same!

I have friends who would never notice these differences, so I completely understand that too! Also, if the price is right, that can make me turn a blind eye.
9.gif
31.gif

PortlandKelly--can''t wait to see what you choose!
So you can understand why I spent Sunday afternoon fixing a teeny little chip on my windscreen with my glass repair kit, shivering in the cold and muttering....
40.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 3:08:39 PM
Author: PortlandKelly
Or maybe I can have them put a thicker bezel around the smaller one.
33.gif

That could work--and like Chrono said, it all depends on if you notice it or not--may not bother you at all. Those earrings you posted are really pretty--hope this works out for you!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 3:08:39 PM
Author: PortlandKelly
Stone 1: 4.92mm, SI2 color I, .49 carat, depth 3.11mm
Stone 2: 5.35mm, SI1 color I, .53 carat, depth 3.0mm
Alas, I don''t have the table info, but I do remember the tables not really matching when I was eyeballing them. (they are back in the safe deposit box at the bank)

Arg, maybe I should have the jeweler pull them from the settings so I can get a better idea if the size differences will annoy me or not. Or maybe I can have them put a thicker bezel around the smaller one.
33.gif
Your own eyes will be the best judge, if you look at them and are happy then thats all that matters.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 3:11:54 PM
So you can understand why I spent Sunday afternoon fixing a teeny little chip on my windscreen with my glass repair kit, shivering in the cold and muttering....
40.gif

haha why yes indeedy I can imagine it!
9.gif

hope you got it fixed up properly!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m partial to the leverbacks. My question is whether the earring will droop since the bulk of the weight (metal and diamond) is sort of to one side? Am I making any sense?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 3:14:26 PM

Date: 2/4/2009 3:11:54 PM
40.gif

haha why yes indeedy I can imagine it!
9.gif

hope you got it fixed up properly!
I did a bit but I can still see them, dang stone chippings! Two teeny windscreen chips about the size of a three pointer each - gah!
29.gif
I am also a secret car detailer....You wouldn''t believe what I can do with paintwork....
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results