shape
carat
color
clarity

Do private customers want to see the closeup pic prior t buy

carlo_tweezar

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I'm working on a diamond photography project and I've heard many diamond trader say they would rather not show a picture of the diamond to their customer if it shows all the inclusion inside the stone.

We live in an age of transparency and we should really educate the customer about the diamonds they are buying.

On the other, private customers don't look at a diamond with a x10 loupe unless they are really interested.

The question is this;
1. As a private customer, what kind of image would you like to be shown?
2. Do you think jewelers & diamond traders should be more open with you regarding flaws and other diamond characteristics, since it has such an impact on the price?

I've attached two images, one where you can clearly see the black SI1 and the other is a retouched images from a bigger distance. Can you please tell me which one you would prefer to see?

Thanks

round_white.jpg
round_white_lzn.png

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Re: Do private customers want to see the closeup pic prior t

1 hands down. Wouldn't purchase online without that type of imagery.

retrogamer

Shiny_Rock

I would not purchase without an image of the diamond itself-- and a vendor who is unwilling to provide such photography would not be one I would trust.

carlo_tweezar

Rough_Rock

Yet e-tailer giants such as blue nile provide only sample images, and they have a $400 million annual turnover.
Maybe most people just do not care what the diamond looks like

sample_0.png

Downsy

Shiny_Rock

I would like seeing both photos, the high magnification as well as a bit further away. The further away photo would help me determine if the inclusion is something I could live with. But I like the magnified photo to show me everything. I like James Allen's video photography and you can zoom the image down in size and it puts everything into perspective.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am good with either but would want to see at least one of them. I dont consider "regular" PSers to be the average diamond buyer.
I think you will find that we all want to see images (probably the most blown up one) however, what does your typical diamond buyer
want or need to see? Sometimes I think the really blown up images make an inclusion look really bad wear as the smaller images that
are only slightly blown up will show a user what they really might expect to see. Both would be nice but I'm guessing that's not the
answer you're looking for.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

People vary.
Some are informed and rational but I suspect most diamond shoppers are ignorant and fearful and would run away screaming if they saw they inclusions, and your vendor knows this.
So I understand your vendor's hesitancy, but if a customer asks for it the vendor should offer it.

The well-informed know that what looks alarming in a highly-magnified pic will often not be visible to the naked eye.

Another photography lighting technique, dark field, makes inclusions stand out even more than the lighting used the pic you posted.
It makes inclusions easier to see so you really understand what you're buying.
I like it.
One wonderful vendor www.goodoldgold.com provides dark field pics online.

BTW, the diamond you posted in your opening post looks pretty dark under the table. :nono: :nono:
It may be leaky, IOW it leaks light out the back.
A well-cut diamond returns nearly all of the light back out the top to your eyes.

At the top of this screen click on the blue tab for Tools to read about the HCA and Idealsope, two tools that weed out diamonds not cut to have good light performance.

screen_shot_2016-01-28_at_7.png

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would personally like to see EVERYTHING. Zoomed in, zoomed out, IS, ASET, upside down, right side up ;-)

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Are you actually doing a photography project, or doing market research for a company? This post seems a bit fishy IMO.

fwiw, I also prefer to see the inclusion and judge for myself.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results