shape
carat
color
clarity

Do pink diamonds photograph lighter than they are in real li

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Do pink diamonds photograph lighter than they are in real life?

Someone told me this recently.

Do yellow diamonds hold their color in a picture?

Tx.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Do pink diamonds photograph lighter than they are in rea

sonomacounty|1307146319|2937319 said:
Do pink diamonds photograph lighter than they are in real life?

Someone told me this recently.

Do yellow diamonds hold their color in a picture?

Tx.

Actually, I think it's the opposite. They often photograph darker than IRL, especially because of the camera shadow.

As for yellow diamonds, it depends on the camera.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock

Thanks, TL.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

It depends--but some very very very light pink diamonds are sold are pink diamonds so I would be wary of something that photographs significantly lighter than its described color.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have not photographed a pure pink diamond, just a deep pruplish pink and an Intense Orangy pink, but just wanted to say this whole subject can be a can of worms that you can't generalize about.

The appearance of the colors of my FCDs dramatically change in person depending on the environment and the lighting.
When photographing my FCDs I'm constantly struggling to produce "accurate" pics of something that itself changes how it look.

When I put all 11 in the same pic and do post processing to do my best to make them look "authentic" often the color of some will look too pale while others in the same pic look too saturated.
It blows my mind.

Sparkly_Not_Gaudy

Rough_Rock

I do not think there is a straight answer that is absolute. I have a friend with an argyle pink and it photographs much darker pink than it is in real life (and it is a very saturated pink!) Another friend has a pink diamond pendant and it looks washed to a 'warm' diamond color in photos, but is distinctly pink in person.

DiamondColors

Rough_Rock
Trade

Hello.

From my experience the lighter pink diamonds are a bit harder to photograph, since they are very close to look white and it hard to "get" their pink in the picture. It takes time and much practice to get the real color of fancy color diamonds. There are two things that were hard for me:
1. getting the right color.
2. Bringing the "life" / sparkle of the diamond while shooting.

With yellow diamond it us not necessarily getting the right color, the color is easier to grasp, but getting it right (the intensity) is a whole different story.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Depends on the camera

Depends on the diamond

Depends whether the person WANTS to get a true representation of the diamond!

In all honesty, there's no difference (for me) in photographing a yellow, green, orange, pink or any other colour diamond. It takes perseverence to get it right - and a skill with the camera (that I don't possess)!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results