shape
carat
color
clarity

Do pale sapphires always have a window?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Girl from Mars

Rough_Rock
I''ve been looking for a pale sapphire for an engagment ring since June, and I seem to have very specific requirements (square cushion, 2-3 carats, eye clean, pale blue, precise cut), which I am finding it difficult to fulfil. I''ve been in contact with a number of the cutters mentioned on this board who can do what I want, but don''t have the rough, so recently I''ve been talking to jewellers in Australia to see what they can do.

Anyway...I saw a nice coloured stone the other day, but felt it had a big window. The jeweller agreed, and said he could arrange to have it recut, but told me that pale sapphires will always have something of a window.

But the stones I''ve seen on this forum don''t seem to have this problem. Is it true, or am I right to be fussy and not believe him?

lasscreative

Shiny_Rock
Are you in Sydney?

Girl from Mars

Rough_Rock
No - Melbourne. But I do go up there from time to time though. I''ve visited a couple of gem places in The Strand (called Rox, and Love and Hatred), both have nice stuff, just not my stone.

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock
No, light coloured sapphires don''t have to have a window! A window is a result of poor cut, usually because the cutter was trying to save weight. Perhaps you can give Dan Stair (customgemstones.com) a try. Both lasscreative and I r in Sydney, and we''ve both purchased from Dan and love our stones! His prices r reasonable too. It costs US$25 for shipment. Takes around 3 biz days. If u''re not satisfied, u can return it. Good luck with your search!
2.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, they don't. I have a pale sapphire that was cut by Jeff White and there are no windows. You just need to get a nicely cut one.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results