shape
carat
color
clarity

Do mountings have a limited amount of resets?

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
What I mean is, if I were changing the center now from 6mm CZ to a slightly smaller diamond (5.8mm), and then perhaps one day I want to upgrade to a larger stone, am I jeopardizing the durability of the setting? It is somewhat limited in size options because it is a tulip prong basket with melee. Side view:

http://www.tqdiamonds.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/HT2314_alt.jpg

I'm also asking the jeweler who is to reset it, but wanted to get PriceScope opinions, too.

Thanks in advance!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If that setting is made for a 6mm stone, I seriously doubt you'll be able to go hardly any larger than that without some major work. It isn't very simple to remove and replace the head in that ring as detailed as it is and being a three stone. I'd probably drop a bit in color or clarity and go ahead and do 6mm if it was me. I think after seeing the 6mm cz, you might be disappointed with smaller. For that matter, just leave the cz in until you can get the 6mm diamond you want!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
My opinion is that setting is a one time set it and leave it deal.
Is it doable? yea likely in the right hands and with a laser welder.. is there a high chance of it not ever being the same again afterwards... yes in my opinion.
That is if it don't spring apart when you put on or take off a sweater first.
Those prongs are just begging to be snagged being that high above the diamond.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe they can fold the prongs over better when the diamond is set. But I agree with Karl that I prefer not to replace a diamond in a setting multiple times. I did that with my current ring, but it worked because the entire head was replaced and it was basically a brand new setting.

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for the candid advice. Would there be a specific type of round you would recommend in this setting? For example, specific girdle or table in particular since those seem to be perhaps significant in this setting? Also, would you only trust Tacori to work on the ring?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, bending prongs, etc. back and forth stresses the metal and will eventually compromise structural integrity. I suspect "how much" stress a particular setting can take depends largely on design and metal choice - platinum will be more forgiving than RG, say, which is known for being brittle... and that particular setting is complicated - stones on the prongs, sidestones - I would definitely only want the manufacturer (Tacori) working on it!

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
What about a resize of it, 6.5 to 5.5? Do you think that's OK for any jeweler? I'm thinking now of just leaving the CZ in it for now until I can clear my head and go from there. I also know Whiteflash carries Tacori so I'm considering getting a diamond from them. :confused:

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
SparklySoprano|1417797206|3795773 said:
What about a resize of it, 6.5 to 5.5? Do you think that's OK for any jeweler? I'm thinking now of just leaving the CZ in it for now until I can clear my head and go from there. I also know Whiteflash carries Tacori so I'm considering getting a diamond from them. :confused:

Many, if not most of us, would politely decline to do a change of stone size that big in that head. When the prongs are squeezed in, diamonds are going to go on vacation. That tends to make people cranky, so we will opt not to do it. (Provided they took their vacation in the jeweler's shop prior to being worn outside the shop they could be reset. However, often they will hide the fact that they are going by pretending to be secure, only to work their way out later so that you end up needing to pay to have the stone set again, and also for the stone.)

If you tried to go up, you might make it a little way, but when bending the prongs to go larger, diamonds might be cracking and that too tends to make people cranky.

I would say, that if you had to replace your CZ with either a CZ or a diamond of the same size it could probably be done, but as others have advised you, only a few times before the prongs become weak.

I know that this is not what you want to hear, but it is what I think most jewelers will tell you. As a non bench jeweler (I do not do the bench work personally) I would never accept this job. It would be too embarrassing when I get to the bench and the bench man started looking at me like I was a completely nuts. This is NOT a good head for messing with.

Wink

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Wink! I should have been clearer in my post. I actually meant the ring size of 6.5 to 5.5; would that be OK to do by a non-Tacori person?

In terms of the diamond size, I wouldn't go further away from the current stone of 6mm any more than 6.5. Or would that be crazy, too? I've been told by one jeweler that this mounting as is could go from .75 - 1.25. That seemed a bit of a stretch to me (6mm - 7mm). Any thoughts on that?

I just want to do it right the first (and only!) time. =)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't let anyone but Tacori touch it for any change. But I don't know if you buy a sample ring if the vendor will send it to Tacori for you or not? Are they still Tacori authorized dealers? You cannot send to Tacori yourself. I'd definitely buy a 6mm diamond when you are ready and do the stone change and sizing then.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparkly, is the CZ "soft set"? If so, that will make it easier to set a diamond in the CZ's stead.

SparklySoprano|1417753002|3795492 said:
* * * Also, would you only trust Tacori to work on the ring?
I doubt (but can't say for certain) that this is even an option available to you since the semi-mount wasn't purchased from one of Tacori's authorized retail partners; have you ascertained whether Tacori itself is willing to set a diamond for you; so far as I know they don't deal directly with consumers.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sizing the shank should not be a problem, basic stuff for a benchie. But, I am pretty sure that will void any warranty that Tacori has on the ring.

Going from a 6 to a 5.8mm diamond should not be a problem, going up to a 6.5 pt 7.5 is not a job I would even think of accepting. I doubt that Tacori would either, but if needed, they could install the proper head for the size diamond that you want. It would not be inexpensive, but letting Tacori work on a Tacori ring is always a good idea.

Wink

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
MollyMalone,

I'm actually not sure if the CZ is "soft set." That's a term I've never heard before. But, I'm surmising it means that the prongs are not fully set over the stone? Please correct if I'm wrong.

So, I have a 5.8mm diamond that while not ideal cut, is a g color stone with VS2 clarity. I'm having a bit of a struggle going from that size to one just a bit bigger (6mm) for the mounting. That is one of the motivators of me to consider a slightly larger center than 6mm. If I get close to 1 carat I could see the upgrade making sense. But, I don't want to do an upgrade that would jeopardize the setting, which I really love. :think:

Oh, and you are right. I can not directly send in my Tacori, which was not purchased from an authorized dealer. I did make a visit to one and they said they could send it in to Tacori, however, I would need to buy a diamond from them. Learning from PS over a year now, I prefer to purchase the diamond other than via B&M. ;))

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The problem with setting a cz first is that most maybe all czs have the equivalent of a very thick girdle or larger compared to diamonds.
To set a diamond after a cz in that setting would require laser welding the seat closed then cutting a new seat.
Not to mention the high possibility of popping a melee diamond while moving the prongs around.
There is only one place the diamond can sit due to the design and the prongs are not replaceable nor torchable.
For the same reason setting a larger diamond is not really doable.

I also have major concerns about snagging with that design and there is nothing that can be done to lower the prongs.

I would not let anyone but Tacori work on one of their rings and order it in the right size both finger and diamond and not resize.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be afraid to try a 6.5mm 1 ct in that setting. Maybe a .90 ct, 6.2mm. But I think Tacori would need to be asked once you ascertain if your ring vendor can send it to them to set.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparklySoprano|1417803679|3795846 said:
MollyMalone,
I'm actually not sure if the CZ is "soft set." That's a term I've never heard before. But, I'm surmising it means that the prongs are not fully set over the stone? Please correct if I'm wrong. * * *
If the CZ is soft set (as is the case in many display/sample e-rings), that means the CZ is resting in the prongs & the head was not actually cut so as to to seat the CZ. Consequently, a proper seat can be cut for the diamond that is replacing a soft set CZ -- without having to go through all that KarlK described.

But even if the CZ is soft set, that won't eliminate whatever problems there may be due to unbending & then re-enfolding the prongs over the diamond which will take the CZ's place as the center stone.

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, thanks for the clarification. EDIT with more info: Tacori did in fact set the CZ, so I think it is soft set.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results