shape
carat
color
clarity

Do knots cause durability issues?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brownv

Rough_Rock
Hello-

I am trying to find out if a knot in the table of a diamond would cause any kind of durability issue?
21.gif
I read something online that said that they are never a good inclusion...but this diamond ( http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-ideal-cut-i-color-si1-clarity_LD01639752 ) looks pretty nice other than that. Thoughts?

30yearsofdiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Browny,

I worked for the NY GIA lab for a very long time so here is what I can tell you about knots. A Knotis a crystal that touches the surface of a diamond. That means that when the diamond was cut part of a crystal was cut off and the remaining part is flush with the surface. There are many times that I have seen diamonds in the lab with a perfectly formed cavity that appears to look like an empty crystal. basically the crystal knot for lack of a better scientific term fell out. Now you have a worse looking inclusion. Just think about what can happen with knots in wood planks,(some fall out, some don''t and they are hard to cut through). This can happen, and may never happen, but you are better off with a different type of grade setting inclusion.

Dan

www.Engagementringsdirect.com

brownv

Rough_Rock
Dan-
Thanks so much. That was great. I think I am going to pass on that stone.... I have another one that looks good, and I think your post just helped me decide! Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/23/2010 8:37:41 AM
Author: 30yearsofdiamonds
Browny,

I worked for the NY GIA lab for a very long time so here is what I can tell you about knots. A Knotis a crystal that touches the surface of a diamond. That means that when the diamond was cut part of a crystal was cut off and the remaining part is flush with the surface. There are many times that I have seen diamonds in the lab with a perfectly formed cavity that appears to look like an empty crystal. basically the crystal knot for lack of a better scientific term fell out. Now you have a worse looking inclusion. Just think about what can happen with knots in wood planks,(some fall out, some don''t and they are hard to cut through). This can happen, and may never happen, but you are better off with a different type of grade setting inclusion.

Dan

www.Engagementringsdirect.com
Great post Dan, thank you!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results