shape
carat
color
clarity

Do I replace these side stones?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got this little beauty over the weekend and the side stones are not testing as diamonds. I'm considering getting some colored stones to replace those since I will need it sized and one of those gold prongs also needs adjusting. The purist In me is like "no just leave it alone" but then some color would really set off that diamond.

So the question is, do I replace the stones or just leave it as is? Open to suggestions on the stones, Yvonne Raley has some nice pink spinel but I think some pretty blue sapphires would probably look more appropriate.

IMG_8206.JPG

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Golden_bird, I was thinking they might be, the jeweler said he thought they are cz but I don't think so. I was surprised they weren't diamonds but just glad the center was!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VERY pretty congrats! Whatever you decide it will look good.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron357, I forgot about that huge stash of gems you found! Every colored stone lover's dream find. I very much appreciate that offer, still not sure if I want to switch them out but if so you will be my go to! The jeweler said they are 2-3mm kind of a broad range but he kind of lost me at cz!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Stone Hunter this was something I found in trays and trays or rings at a pawn shop recently. She it definitely stood out! The OEC is 4.5mm approximately.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmmm, that's a tough decision to make, @StephanieLynn.
Pink stones would be pretty, and a jeweler could file down that extra big boob, say from a DD to maybe a C ...LOL!

But it's gorgeous as is. I would probably leave it alone.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A DD to a C :lol-2:

Now if he could do that with mine I'd be all set! That suggestion might get me in trouble though with the DH!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A DD to a C :lol-2:

Now if he could do that with mine I'd be all set! That suggestion might get me in trouble though with the DH!
Mysteriously, mine are just getting bigger with age.
No surgery required!:-o

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I remember distinctly wishing for big boobs when I was 18, well watch out what you wish for! For me it's been two pregnancies, they just took off after that even though after the second I told them I didn't need them anymore, they still stuck around :oops2:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I remember distinctly wishing for big boobs when I was 18, well watch out what you wish for! For me it's been two pregnancies, they just took off after that even though after the second I told them I didn't need them anymore, they still stuck around :oops2:
Hahahah! Yeah, breastfeeding is probably a factor.
But they are good accessories for a nicely placed pendant!
taylor_burton.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Bron you are the sweetest! Those blues are amazing, are you sure that you would want to part with them? I mean, having a chance at being part of that awesome story might be something I can't pass up. ;-)

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your ring is a Beauty! Please post more pictures!
I like it with colorless sidestones, but a little blue can’t never hurt!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dkata, thank you so much! Here are some pictures for you. I'm currently wearing her as a pinky ring until I figure out whether I want to replace those stones or not. They're not bad, just kind of flat and there. Next to the three row diamond ring she is a petite little thing.

IMG_8181.JPG IMG_8199.JPG
IMG_8158.JPG
IMG_8176.JPG IMG_8187.JPG
IMG_8203.JPG IMG_8211.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8169.JPG
    IMG_8169.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8170.JPG
    IMG_8170.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8181.JPG
    IMG_8181.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 14

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is how I am about new (to me) jewelry.....a lot of the time when I consider modifying something I let it "settle" for a bit and give it some thought. It's almost like if anything needs to be done, you'll KNOW it when it's time and what needs to happen. That ring is a great example of what I'm talking about. I'd keep it, get it resized if necessary, wear it and let it decide what it wants. To me, pink stones would give it a more modern slant and blue would lean toward a more vintage look. Either color would be beautiful.

That may sound a little strange but it works for me more often than not. And if I get in a muddle over it, there is always my husband who will say, "Leave it alone." He is alllll about keeping something original. Most of the time I listen to him, but sometimes......I pull the trigger on a rehab.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Loretta, I don't think it's strange at all. I don't usually have rings with the potential to swap out stones like this plus when I bought it I thought they were single cuts, still paid a fair price for it so that was no biggie. Definitely going to mull it over some :cool2:

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Whatever you decide to do with it I am sure it will be lovely. I don't think you'll go wrong whatever you decide. I would see about taking care of any repairs it may need, resize if considered necessary, and go from there.

Loretta

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stephanie, I was leaning towards leaving as is, but when I read your description of the stones looking a bit flat I'm thinking that maybe you should go for it and switch them out...I agree with Loretta, pink seems a bit more modern and blue will look a little more vintage. Amazing find! I love the ring, beautiful stone and I love the two tone setting!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that you should get it resized and wear it for a bit before deciding. If you still feel the side stones are flat then replace them. It is a pretty diamond and setting and should be worn and enjoyed.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know you have a preference for pink @StephanieLynn but I think blue sapphires or emeralds would look amazing and very period appropriate.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes @meely, you're right about the pink (don't want to take away from the Art Deco feel) and oh emeralds would be so pretty! I forget about emeralds for some reason, thanks for that suggestion!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't know how you wear your rings @StephanieLynn but when your fingers are back to normal I think you could wear it alongside pink anyway I think blue and green are really complimentary to pink.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_4226.jpg IMG_4227.jpg

Not the best photos and I know they are different to your ring but still deco! I love this look for a 3 stone.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, those rings are amazing, love that emerald one. Although I'm going to wear it for a while as is, it will be a tough choice between blue sapphire and emerald if I decide to replace those stones, both would look great.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful diamond! I second the vote for a couple of @Bron357 's blue sapphires :love:

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, those rings are amazing, love that emerald one. Although I'm going to wear it for a while as is, it will be a tough choice between blue sapphire and emerald if I decide to replace those stones, both would look great.

Yeah both would look beautiful. Good idea to wear it as is for the time being. It's lovely to begin with and no harm to take the time to ponder.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results