shape
carat
color
clarity

Do I really want a Royal Asscher?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

emkinmd

Rough_Rock
I may have been doing a little too much research and looking at different diamonds. I saw a Royal Asscher at one of the overpriced mall retailers and was simply amazed by how it looked, its infinite depth. I am not excited by the higher price they fetch for the perfect stone. I want something different. Round and princess cut diamonds bore me. But I also like the diamonds with a lot of fire.
Going shopping again this weekend at one of the monster gem shows in the area (live outside Washington DC). Do not plan to buy, just looking for a setting or cut that will blow me away.
Would it pay to fly to Amsterdam? Or take the train to NYC?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Royal Asscher is a brand name.

You don't have to go to Europe or NY.

Several of us here have bought superbly-cut asshers from Pricescope vendors without paying for a brand name.

emkinmd

Rough_Rock
I know it is a brand name. They do look totally different from the generic asschers. I will see if I am still amazed after I go to the show this weekend. I figure there will be a large selection without having to walk or travel very far.
Are there people you can hire to do act as a diamond broker for you for a cost? Hopefully one I would not dislike as much as I dislike real estate agents ;-)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ll just add that apparently finding a well-cut generic is like finding a needle in a haystack.

It would be ideal if you could compare one side by side with a Royal Asscher, which I believe do have more facets than a generic.

Generics come in 3 4 or 5 step cuts.

It is possible you will not feel the RA is worth the extra money if you compare it to a good generic.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Emkinmd...welcome to pricescope!

I think it''s great that you''ll have a chance to compare RAs to generic asschers in real life to get a better idea if the premium is worth it to you. It definitely is to some.

I''ve heard that some people think the special look of a RA gets sort of ''lost'' in a diamond under 2cts, so it might be useful to consider the size of the stones you''re looking at.

Have fun at the gem show, and come back and tell us your thoughts/observations.

I don''t know about hiring an agent to find a stone for you. I do know that there are plenty of second (and 3rd and 4th and 5th etc) opinions to be had here if you find any interesting candidates!

widget

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I dunno do ya?
Only you can answer that :}
If money was no object and it was over 2ct id consider one myself.

If your interested in travel and want a weekend trip Good old Gold out in Long Island might be a nice mini-vacation.
Call first and see what he can arrange to have avialable for viewing.

http://www.goodoldgold.com

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well. I recently viewed some RA's and at 1 carat... I didn't see enough difference between mine (Generic) and the RA to justify the price difference. But at 3 carats!!! WOW.. and at 6!!! Holy molly. (They didn't have a 2 carat)

Not step cut.... but have you looked at Lucida (GOG has Flanders and Juliet cuts I would take a look at if you like the Lucida)? Or some lovely square cushions? Moremoremore has some cushions that make me twitch!

ETA: I have a very well cut Generic Asscher, BTW. So... that was what my comparision was based on at 1 carat.

emkinmd

Rough_Rock
I would assume a 2 carart RA would be at least 20k. I could get that but would not be able to get it set to stay withing a reasonable price.

I will take a look for Flanders, Juliet and Lucida cuts when I hit the Jewelry road show this weekend. I do like the cushion cuts as well.

Will definitely need to hit NY for shopping once I really know what I want...well, kind of know what I want that will cost less than 20k.

I have been looking posts for what are ideal specs are for an asscher so I will compare the smaller stones.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The FAQ section here has most of the threads with the info on the best specs to look for.
The numbers tell you very little beyond a place to start.

emkinmd

Rough_Rock
No big surprise but I found some of the worst cut asschers I have ever seen at the gem show. Then I found one dealer from Denver that had a very nice 2 carat stone. I wish someone had a royal that I could have compare it too. He then brought out a stone that had a cut I had never seen before. It was amazing looking. It was an ideal step cut radiant diamond. It was E color and vvs1, 2.7 carats and he was asking 20500 for it.

I have to learn more about this stone...

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
enkinmd

Welcome to Pricescope
35.gif
It sounds like you are like the rest of us then, addicted to beautiful diamonds
30.gif
. I hope you find the diamond for you.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2006 8:03:45 AM
Author: emkinmd
No big surprise but I found some of the worst cut asschers I have ever seen at the gem show. Then I found one dealer from Denver that had a very nice 2 carat stone. I wish someone had a royal that I could have compare it too. He then brought out a stone that had a cut I had never seen before. It was amazing looking. It was an ideal step cut radiant diamond. It was E color and vvs1, 2.7 carats and he was asking 20500 for it.

I have to learn more about this stone...

Wow, you definitely have to learn more about this stone! A 2.7 E VVS1 any cut for $20.5K?? Sounds like an incredible deal - was the stone certified?

By the way, Diamond Brokers of FL has a 1.87 carat G VS1 Royal Asscher (laser inscribed, HRD cert) for $21.9K. Perhaps this gives you an idea of pricing.

emkinmd

Rough_Rock
I have looked at the Royal at DBOF several times...I could not keep looking at them. After seeing a two carat standard asscher at the show, my boyfriend thought it was too small and wanted me to get something bigger. So the jeweler brought out this step cut radiant. It is actually a square radiant which from what I have learned in the forums and through searching for others, is hard to find. I am asking for the cert sheet from the jeweler. I have some corrections on the specs though.
Ideal cut, VS1, E color, 2.72 carats.
I wanted a halo setting at first but after seeing this stone I (he) wants something that really highlights the stone. Been looking at a couple of settings from danhov I like on James allen
http://www.jamesallen.com/designer-jewelry/meno_collection_by_danhov.asp?module=setting&cid=294&item=218
http://www.jamesallen.com/designer-jewelry/meno_collection_by_danhov.asp?module=setting&cid=294&item=216

Love the double band thing...
Still do not know if I can turn away from the royal asscher I love....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results