shape
carat
color
clarity

do I need to pay deposit?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sweatgem

Rough_Rock
After I put on hold of the diamond, do I need to pay deposit in order to get more information e.g. pics, from the vendor?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Depends on the vendor. If the stone is not in their inventory, some vendors will call in the stone & run the tests one desires. Since the margin of profit on these stones are less, the vendor can't absorb the cost if someone is merely curious. A deposit can separate the interested & the ones wanting to be entertained.

Actually, there has been some debate about this. At the end of the day, one has to feel comfortable with whatever the policies are.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Typically, the vendors here don't require deposits to provide pictures and information on stones they have inhouse.

If, however, you're working with a stone that they broker, that's a different story. They don't have the stone in hand, so they either have to bring it in (which involved shipping cost) or get the dealer to provide those (which doesn't usually happen).

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
When I was looking for my stone I contacted both Whiteflash and Dirt Cheap Diamonds regarding a few fancy cut stones that they were brokering. In every case they emailed or faxed me the cert and sarin info. If the broker has the sarin equipment they seem to be very cooperative about getting the info to the vendor quickly. I did not ask for pictures so I don't know how that works, but I was not charged for the cert and sarin reports.

If the diamond is in house I suppose it would be an easy thing for them to photograph and send pics too.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
I think everyone is very likely right on the money with their responses.

However, on one occasion I've seen "why don't you give me a deposit..." used as a sales pressure tactic when asking for information. It's fairly obvious that this is going on, i.e. stone is in stock. Regardless of a seller's grand reputation, it leaves a bad impression.

Given the way folks repost suppliers' inventory, the internet makes it too easy for someone who's very casually looking to ask for information about something with little chance of a sale. Time is money and shipping/insurance costs can be higher than you'd think.

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
when you say on hold,how long?
Many internet sites are broker stones from vendors and cannot guaranty that the stone will be available, unless your time frame is minimal ,and they have a relationship with the vendor where he will hold it for them. again this would have to be on an minimal basis (ie.12-24 hrs.) and if the vendor would not agree than you would have to take your chances.

good luck

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I cannot speak knowledgably about ALL the internet sites out there.

That is true unless they own their own stones,they really have to depend on the vendors descision as to how long they can hold the stone for them and that comes down to a relationship between the vendor and the prespective site you are looking to buy from.
It also depends on the demand for a particular stone on the market, there are certain sizes these days that are very much in demand ,and us dealers cannot keep them in house very long as they are being sold as soon as they come in,I doubt that any vendor would hold that type of stone, for longer than 24 hrs.oh yes maybe over along weekend
9.gif

search areound and talk to real people on internet sites ,I am sure that most would try to work with you .

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results