shape
carat
color
clarity

Do I need an IdealScope in person?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stags14

Rough_Rock
I have been lurking for a bit - doing my research. This is my first post. This also my first diamond purchase where I have done a ton of research.

My question: When looking at loose diamonds at a B&M, should I use the IdealScope? I am wondering if it would be better to simply line up a series of stones side-by-side and use my eyes to determine which look the nicest.

Any help you can give this newbie would be appreciated!!!!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can always use your own eyes on side by side stones, but Garry and I would recommend using the Ideal-Scope first. You probably don''t know what you are really looking for and the I-S wil screen out the leeser stones easily. It just makes the job easier and probably will make the retailer give you a little respect. Using the I-S can also trun off a retailer who thinks you doubt their honesty. Its a problem and it can be overcome if you explain what you are doing. They may even want a look themselves.

stags14

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your response (I have learned a tremendous amount from your posts over the past few months by the way!!!). I ordered an IdealScope, IdealLight, and CZ stone from your site yesterday afternoon. I selected overnite shipping so it should be here sometime today!!!!

I have a 2 appointments tomorrow. I feel much more confident heading into this transaction!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My experience matches what Dave says.
Some jewelers are put off by it.

Now I first tell that that I'm a beginner with inexperienced eyes, and I need all the help I can get.

That seems to make me less threatening to them or something.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Though I have one, too, I didn''t use it prior to shopping, so the large cause went away.

Just to share 2 cents...

a) I think it helps to provide a standardized lighting environment, and
b) also then helps you more clealy see...perhaps in a more exagerrated way, what you want to see.
c) but as a beginner...even if you evolve naturally into the procedure these guys recommend...I think I''d start by just looking and doing a manual grade. After that, use the idealscope, and see if the grade is consistent. Once you see the pattern of matching, it may then make more sense to start with the idealscope.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The idealscope is fun to take into pawn shops.

Just be sure to bring some isopropyl alcohol, a small brush, some Q-tips and a can of compressed air.

Some of those diamonds have decades of dead skin/lotion/earwax gunk!

Yuck!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Stags14 and WELCOME to Pricescope!
35.gif

Everyone here has given you great advice. You will find your idealscope and light especially useful because you said you have 2 appointments. I''m guessing this means 2 different stores, so you will really be able to compare what you are seeing. The IS and Light take varying ambient lighting out of the equation - it''s great for comparison shopping.

Kenny, I even went to Spencer Gifts in the mall and bought one of those Fluorescent UV Blacklight bulbs. I got a simple socket/cord and now have a portable Floro detector! If you do the same, the basic blacklight bulbs (incandescent with the special filament) don''t work - it''s gotta be one of the fluorescent tube bulbs. I''m like a portable lab now - great for pawn shops!

findarock

Shiny_Rock
david/regular guy- interesting information about what to do regarding the Idealscope and the use of IS etc,
There is so much to keep in mind when finding that special E-ring.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/8/2006 12:55:58 PM
Author: starryeyed
Hi Stags14 and WELCOME to Pricescope!
35.gif

Everyone here has given you great advice. You will find your idealscope and light especially useful because you said you have 2 appointments. I''m guessing this means 2 different stores, so you will really be able to compare what you are seeing. The IS and Light take varying ambient lighting out of the equation - it''s great for comparison shopping.
StarryEyed you are on the money with that comment.
It is the different light in different stores that ideal-scope overcomes

And ideal-scope for rounds and pre screening fanciy shapes

ASET for fancy shapes

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results