shape
carat
color
clarity

Do I have a leg to stand on...the diamond is broken after 6 mths

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kobi

Rough_Rock
Six months ago I bought a ring for my fiance' which started turning in the setting after a couple of weeks. I have recently returned to the country in which the diamond was set and have taken it back to the jeweler to find that the stone is "crushed" and the workshop would have to polish it down. The rock is not insured and my fiance' cannot think of an occasion when she may have knocked the ring or bashed it as the jeweler has said that she must have done.
Is there anything that I can do or is there a come back, a type of guarentee that one gets with diamonds?
Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamonds do not get scratched from anything other than other diamonds, BUT they can break, cleave or fracture from less than a memorable blow at the correct angle and the right spot.

That's what insurance is all about. You now find yourself "self insured". Maybe you can get a replacement at near cost from the original seller as a favor, have the damaged diamond recut and either sell it for partial coverage or use it as another stone in a pendant, etc since the stone now has sentimental value.

The breakage may have been evident from the time the stone became loose and may have been far more minor at the beginning that it is months later. I feel for your loss, but there is no real recourse. Jewelery insurance is inexpesnive compared to the situation you now find yourself in.

I am a believer in some self insurance, but I fully know the risk I take and measure my ability to pay my own way if something might happen. It is a tough lesson to learn and I hope you get past it successfully.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results