shape
carat
color
clarity

Do Emerald cuts pick up more environmental color?

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Do emerald cuts pick up more environmental color? Does setting make that big of a difference?

I've got a D round next to an E emerald, and either:

1. I can tell the color difference.
2. The emerald is picking up the color of my hand.
3. The spring ring is vastly different to a set diamond and is throwing off the color as well, because it looks really light.
4. My RB looks darker because it's set, and deeper, and not ideal.
5. All of the above.

Flashes of yellow.
PXL_20230718_191948771.jpg

On a piece of paper, in and out of the spring ring:

PXL_20230718_191052286.MP.jpg
PXL_20230718_191016536.jpg

Basically trying to figure out if I need a D instead of E. I like everything else about this one.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Hi, can you tell us about the E diamond? Does it have a certification? Honestly, I see color in the top picture too. The difference between a D and an E should be imperceptible for most (but a few PSers :D)). It does look like there is some oil on the top picture on the emerald that could affect the shot, maybe? Do you have these in hand?

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Hi, can you tell us about the E diamond? Does it have a certification? Honestly, I see color in the top picture too. The difference between a D and an E should be imperceptible for most (but a few PSers :D)). It does look like there is some oil on the top picture on the emerald that could affect the shot, maybe? Do you have these in hand?

Thanks for chiming in! I do have them in hand.

Here's the WF link: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-di...-vvs2-clarity-emerald-lab-sku-241691?a_aid=PS

I attached the cert, and a few more pics in different light.

Attachments

• PXL_20230717_220640706.jpg
    PXL_20230717_220640706.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 40
  • PXL_20230718_012530490.jpg
    PXL_20230718_012530490.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 44
  • PXL_20230718_220617903.jpg
    PXL_20230718_220617903.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 39
  • LG587306342.pdf
    525.2 KB · Views: 27

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Here's two taken just now. I might be seeing my hand through the facets; a slight tilt made a big difference. PXL_20230719_195210047.jpg PXL_20230719_195207175.jpg

Last edited:

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Yes, they pick up environmental colors and at certain angles you will almost always see the background. Ultimately, it sounds like you don’t love it… other diamonds will do the same thing BUT when you find a cut that has the facets and play of light that appeal to you, you won’t mind, you will just see beauty.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Yes, they pick up environmental colors and at certain angles you will almost always see the background. Ultimately, it sounds like you don’t love it… other diamonds will do the same thing BUT when you find a cut that has the facets and play of light that appeal to you, you won’t mind, you will just see beauty.

Honestly, I was just trying to figure out the enigmatic emerald cut, LOL! I'm so used to RBs. More of a, "is this normal or am I crazy?" Because the price is so reasonable, I'm going to give it a go. That's the cool part about LG diamonds, IMO. They allow a little more freedom to experiment!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do emerald cuts pick up more environmental color? Does setting make that big of a difference?

I've got a D round next to an E emerald, and either:

1. I can tell the color difference.
2. The emerald is picking up the color of my hand.
3. The spring ring is vastly different to a set diamond and is throwing off the color as well, because it looks really light.
4. My RB looks darker because it's set, and deeper, and not ideal.
5. All of the above.

Flashes of yellow.
PXL_20230718_191948771.jpg

On a piece of paper, in and out of the spring ring:

PXL_20230718_191052286.MP.jpg
PXL_20230718_191016536.jpg

Basically trying to figure out if I need a D instead of E. I like everything else about this one.

I see such a slight difference. Because of the shape, I am assuming that the EC is like a mirror and will pick up the reflection of other colors/your skin tone easier.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I see such a slight difference. Because of the shape, I am assuming that the EC is like a mirror and will pick up the reflection of other colors/your skin tone easier.

That makes sense. It shoots off these crazy looooong rainbows too. I'm learning my new friend, lol.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Hmm-ering is an F color emerald cut and it has never looked as tinted as your E color.

Here's a very bad video of the stone loose:

Here's an image of it set with my sil's F color MRB

Thank you! I think that lighting might be everything here. Work has those lovely yellow LEDs. Home has warm LEDs. When I get it under decent light. I don't see much of a tint.

Even that paper towel pick above... that's a pure white paper towel, but in my bathroom lighting it looks yellow. So weird.

PXL_20230718_220624127.jpg

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes they do!
That is part of what makes them rock as you rotate them side to side they will give you a tour of whats around you.
Actually all diamonds do, but the EC does it in big enough chunks you can clearly see it.
And also yes if you tilt it slow enough you will catch it reflecting from the opposite side of the pavilion in areas then followed by a nice big flash of light!
Many stones do that but an EC again does it big enough you can see it.
If one world defines a well cut EC of any size its big.
Because except the areas around the windmills on the ends they do everything big.

You are spot on with the lighting comment.
Wear an EC in yellow light its going to look yellow and do it big! :}

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I hope you come to love it. ECs have so much personality, and yours has rainbow flashes! You'll never be bored with it.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Yes they do!
That is part of what makes them rock as you rotate them side to side they will give you a tour of whats around you.
Actually all diamonds do, but the EC does it in big enough chunks you can clearly see it.
And also yes if you tilt it slow enough you will catch it reflecting from the opposite side of the pavilion in areas then followed by a nice big flash of light!
Many stones do that but an EC again does it big enough you can see it.
If one world defines a well cut EC of any size its big.
Because except the areas around the windmills on the ends they do everything big.

You are spot on with the lighting comment.
Wear an EC in yellow light its going to look yellow and do it big! :}

Thank you Karl! Nice to get an opinion from an expert. That's the great thing about this site, and I really appreciate your input!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I hope you come to love it. ECs have so much personality, and yours has rainbow flashes! You'll never be bored with it.

We are getting to know each other, and since she's named I think I have to keep her now. Seems rude not to. ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results