shape
carat
color
clarity

Do D IFs come with H&As at less than 0.5 carats?

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I know, I know about overpaying for a D IF.

This guy at work has been bugging me though and I can't get him or his fiancee to post on Pricescope. Apparently she wants the perfect diamond, she doesn't care if its going to be really small. Yeah, I know; he knows too. It is what it is. And apparently he's having trouble finding it with the list of Pricescope vendors I gave him so he's wondering if it even exists.

I can't vouch for his search abilities but I checked the PS search engine, WF, JA, and GoG and I couldn't find one either. I'd love to tell him to blow off and find his own diamond but he's a good friend and we work together a lot so harmony is important.

I'm thinking it doesn't exist but I don't want to tell him that and then have his GF find one and make a liar out of both of us.

So, do they exist? I've found H&As under 0.5 so I know small diamonds can be cut in H&As but no D IF H&As.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Pretty sure they do... considering I have H&A melee stones in my band from WF. I'm not sure I'm totally understanding the question, though: does she want a .5 D IF with H&A, or smaller than .5? What's the budget?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course they can exist. But D IF is a very rare stone and that is why it is extremely expensive. They might have to wait awhile for one to come along in ideal cut.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
rubybeth|1309459285|2959262 said:
Pretty sure they do... considering I have H&A melee stones in my band from WF. I'm not sure I'm totally understanding the question, though: does she want a .5 D IF with H&A, or smaller than .5? What's the budget?

Thanks rubybeth. He didn't say but I'm assuming his budget is $5,000 or under. He found some D IF non-H&As under 0.5 for less than $4000 at Whiteflash and I told him that a D IF H&A would cost more. He's OK with that as long as its not more than $1000 more.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1309459848|2959270 said:
Of course they can exist. But D IF is a very rare stone and that is why it is extremely expensive. They might have to wait awhile for one to come along in ideal cut.

Thanks diamondseeker. The D IF non H&As didn't seem that rare though at least on WF. That's why I was puzzled to see no D IF H&As.

Is there a vendor I can tell him to call? I want to get rid of his nagging but I don't want to send him on a wild goose chase.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm...

Here's a 0.46 D IF AVRound - not H&A but a different specialty branded cut designed for light return - http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond.php?d=10016&shape=1&clarity=1&color=1&resultsColumns=268435471&singleResult=1

I think your best bets are GOG and crafted by infinity, they often have (or can cut/acquire) more unusual pieces I think - I rather think WF and BGD deal more in what the mass market wants, which is not smaller D IFs for the same price ;)) but it can't hurt to ask! I'm not actually sure how JA commissions/brands their TrueHearts stones, but again, nothing lost by inquiring.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh, thanks Yssie! And the price looks right too! I was the one who told her about H&As never dreaming she'd want an H&A in ADDITION to the D IF she already wanted. So maybe Jonathan can dazzle them with a AVR. You can see, I'm in a bit of hot water with her fiance who's now seeing all these D IF nonH&As at WF and cursing me.

I'll pass this info along. GoG seems such a great resource.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Yoohoo farmer gal! Thanks a bunch! I had heard of Adiamor but hadn't looked in their inventory. The price looks great too!

Do you know how reputable Adiamor is? From a quick PS search I didn't find much info on them other than they used to be Affinity Diamonds.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
There has been some ladies on here who have gotten diamonds, and settings from them and were happy with their purchase. I know they are good about taking returns so I think it would be worth a shot :twirl:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see any description of H&A - just their in-house affinity ideal brand, don't see a rubric of how they determine affinity ideal but they may not have posted one.

Do they provide photos of their branded stones?

Good that they are good about returns.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually have rarely seen stones purchased from there. I wonder if they have the stone in-house? if they do, I would insist on pictures and idealscope at least.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for your help, ladies.

I did an HCA check on the numbers of the Adiamor stone. It comes in at a 1.3 which is good but doesn't necessarily guarantee an H&A.

But this link seems to indicate the diamond is an H&A. How does this look?

diamondseeker, are there any risks to buying a round stone that is not inhouse?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
H&A have to check the H&A image of each individual stone, do not take anything as given.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AmeliaG|1309476288|2959470 said:
Thanks so much for your help, ladies.

I did an HCA check on the numbers of the Adiamor stone. It comes in at a 1.3 which is good but doesn't necessarily guarantee an H&A.

But this link seems to indicate the diamond is an H&A. How does this look?

diamondseeker, are there any risks to buying a round stone that is not inhouse?

As long as they will call in the stone at no charge and take the pictures, then that would be fine. But if they won't do the images because they do not physically have the stone, then I wouldn't pursue it. I feel like if I were going after D IF, I'd want a perfect cut as well!

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys! I forwarded them the link to this thread so I'm bowing out. They're really appreciative of all your comments and are looking at the options now.

And I got what I wanted which was to bow out! You guys are so great!

ps kenny, you're such a devil. She was really tempted by your FCD choices but even the lowest price one is way over their budget.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I did a quick check on bluenile and was inundated with signature ideal D-IFs. There are tons of them listed on bluenile - and I imagine their 'signature idea' would at least have some hearts and arrows patterning. Some probably are the real deal.

I know how we feel about bluenile, but there are loads of these diamonds on their inventory, and many are below 5K, some I'm sure have the patterning. These are signature ideal stones, so call up and ask them to drag their best 3 out for photos and your friend can pick one.

Kenny actually has a point, if your colleague is looking for a 0.5ct stone around 5K, he can actually consider good canary yellows :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results