shape
carat
color
clarity

Do couples still wear matching wedding bands or rings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Or is it out dated?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn''t realize matching bands was ever a standard...

FI and I chose bands that suited our individual tastes.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Me and my husband have matching wedding bands.
We have a style I''ve never seen anyone else with, though its Artcarved which is a pretty big company. They are 14k yellow gold with a 14k white gold edging, and there is a design in both parts. it''s hard to explain and I haven''t been able to figure out how to post pics.
We were married 26 years ago this year so I don''t know if its still stylish to do this or not. I can''t actually think of anyone else I know who has matching bands. But we love our matching bands. MY husband has said again and again how important it is to him to wear his and I feel warm inside when I look at both our hands wearing the same ring after all this time.
PS We ended up getting two tone gold because I preferred yellow and he preferred white.
the bands are also engraved inside with our initials and wedding date, which you might want to consider doing even if your bands don''t match. This is VERY romantic. The other day someone showed their great-grandfather''s wedding ring that they were wearing from the 1890''s with the engraving inside and I really got a chill.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
That is a really good question!

I wish we did but our styles are so different, we weren''t able to do so. We do have matching plain bands but those are for when it''s OK to bang up the rings playing flag football or something!

I tried to find a matching band. FI went with Furrer-Jacot and while everything F-J is amazing, it was too masculine for me and nothing but an eternity band would match my e-ring. These days, with all the pave -- it''s hard to match and most of the work is custom.

But that is a really romantic idea... I kinda wish our bands did match! But there is no way FI is going to wear bling. LOL. OK, there''s a tiny one inside his band but that was as far as he was willing to go!

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think it is a lovely sentiment.. but I honestly don''t know one couple that does!
It seems to be more of an issue of personal style--
generally--woman: more feminine..often diamonds (match Ering?), man: more masculine.. darker metals?

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Ours don''t match, but they complement each other.

Hand forged bands by James Meyer

bezelband2222.jpg

Asu

Shiny_Rock
here in Italy wedding bands are ALWAYS matching and ALWAYS plain.Kind of boring,no?So yes,we do have matching bands,but we had chose them just because we married before discovered pricescope.I kind of love those bands because are the ones we married with,but I''m going to buy other bands to mix and change a bit,and I think that I will upgrade his band on our 5th anniversary,because he feel the ring way more than me,even if he dislike yellow gold (our bands are yg),so I think he need time to get used to the idea,lol.As for me,I will always wear this band on my right hand,when I upgrade,or put it in a necklace.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hubby and I have matching bands but neither of us wear them. I have a new ring that doesn''t allow for that big of a band and hubby travels so much that he decided against a diamond band and now really only wears his tungsten band.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Ours don't. I have palladium and diamonds and his is tungsten.

My mom and Step-Tom don't have matching bands - their metals aren't even the same color.
1.gif

I do think there is something romantic about the matching bands though!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some people do and some people don't. I don't think it was ever a matter of fashion.

Most wedding bands used to look the same because that was what was available, so matching was probably a result of that just as much as anything else.

Our bands do not match. We chose them separately according to our personal tastes. They both happen to contain platinum (mine is made with plat and diamonds, his is titanium with a plat overlay), but that was a coincidence more than a plan to match at all.

museyandfisrings.jpg

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
My fiance chose a 8mm tungsten band, and I got myself a 2mm bnad that matches his. I can wear it as a stacker, and it makes me smile!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 2:26:27 PM
Author: jsm
My fiance chose a 8mm tungsten band, and I got myself a 2mm bnad that matches his. I can wear it as a stacker, and it makes me smile!
May I ask where you found the 2mm tungsten band? I''ve found it a bit difficult to track down the thinner widths!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know to many that do. The only couples I know who do these were couples who couldn''t afford engagement rings and just purchased two bands.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 2:29:07 PM
Author: musey

May I ask where you found the 2mm tungsten band? I''ve found it a bit difficult to track down the thinner widths!

Musey! You can get them at eweddingbands.com! I got a 2mm titanium one as a fun ring to beat up and wear when I''m volunteering and they are AMAZING!!!! I learned about them from...where else? PRICESCOPE! LOL. The quality is excellent and you cannot beat the customer service.
36.gif

heather318

Shiny_Rock
I''d say that for the most part people don''t have matching bands anymore.. My parents have been married for 25 years and their bands match.. So I think that was probably more common in the past than it is now.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
my husband and i weren''t married with matching bands. i had a 2.5mm gold band with a thin plat. inlay in half the band, and bead set diamonds. my husband had a 6mm yellow gold pipe cut ring with bevelled edges. but as time went by they started to show wear and tear, and this september is our 25th wedding anniversary, so we''ve sent them to our jeweler in australia and they''re being remade....

....into matching rings. :)

after 25 years of marriage, i''ve got all the diamond bands a woman could want. now i just wanna declare my oneness with the most wonderful man in the world.

:)

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
We had simple matching bands in 21k yellow gold, he wears it daily, I change rings all the time, always w/a band.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
When I got married in 1977 most couples had matching bands but I don''t think it is the norm anymore. My husband and I both still have the original yellow gold bands we got married with, but we have upgraded to other rings over the years that we wear now and they don''t match.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/10/2009 3:50:28 PM
Author: Bliss
Musey! You can get them at eweddingbands.com! I got a 2mm titanium one as a fun ring to beat up and wear when I''m volunteering and they are AMAZING!!!! I learned about them from...where else? PRICESCOPE! LOL. The quality is excellent and you cannot beat the customer service.
36.gif
Thanks, Bliss! I have seen e-weddingbands.com''s titanium ones in thinner widths, but I was wondering about tungsten. That''s harder to find.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When my parents got married in the 1970s they bought matching wedding bands as did many of their siblings. Most of them were yellow gold and couldn''t easily be sized. When my parents outgrew their wedding bands they replaced them with plain, but non matching band.

DH and I wanted matching bands, but then realised that we couldn''t agree on anything so we stopped trying.

Junkenpo

Shiny_Rock
My husband and I got married last July and we have matching titanium bands. He bought my e-ring, I bought the wedding bands. His is 8mm (sz 12) and mine is 4mm (size 4.5). He didn''t want a precious metal and I found these on ebay & he approved.

TTstackL1.jpg

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
My "real" wedding band does not match DH''s. But my everyday band is a smaller mm ring that is similar to his.

I love wearing just our matching bands...almost as much as I love wearing my diamonds :)

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
We have matching bands. It was extremely hard to find something that we both loved but we were resolved we want matching bands. I wear my wedding band every day, on my right hand where he put it 2.5 years ago. I also have a diamond one which I wear with my e-ring, with the wedding band or alone but I never take the original one off.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We were married with matching bands (12 years in May). My husband still wears the same band, I have changed my set but I still do have my wedding band, and I still wear it when I want an understated look.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t seen many IRL on people - just loads in jewellers windows/catalogues etc

My parents and their friends, who were getting married in the early 70''s, it tends to just be the woman with a w-band. My father was quite disapproving of my brother, BIL and DH having w-bands at all. This maybe a UK thing where the man often wears a signet ring with family crest on his little finger instead.

DH didn''t want a ring at all until I introduced him to mokume gane...

He has a 4mm tri-gold solid forged mokume gane band and I have a 2.5mm curved channel-set band that matches my e-ring. I also have a 4mm 22kt plain gold band (from 1908) that I wear when I''m travelling or when I''m not wearing my e-ring as I don''t care for the look of a curved band on it''s own. I was married with both!
9.gif

JSM

Brilliant_Rock

May I ask where you found the 2mm tungsten band? I've found it a bit difficult to track down the thinner widths!

Believe it or not, I found my band on ebay. The seller has been mentioned at PS before, it's how I found them originally. The seller's name is Vanzy. No frills, but a tungsten carbide band (cobalt free) in the width I wanted for a great price!

kjt

Rough_Rock
Although mine and my husband''s are not (I have a platinum princess channel and he has a 18K with brushed metal), I think it''s nice to have matching ones.

As a matter of fact, I am looking into getting a pair of matching Tungstens so that we can wear it when we go on vacation and I dont want to bring my real ones.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 12:18:19 PM
Believe it or not, I found my band on ebay. The seller has been mentioned at PS before, it''s how I found them originally. The seller''s name is Vanzy. No frills, but a tungsten carbide band (cobalt free) in the width I wanted for a great price!
Thank you so much for the tip, jsm!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
My husband and I do. We were married in 2002. Ours are plain beveled platinum bands. They''re the exact same band--same width and everything. The only difference is the size. Mine fits exactly inside his. It''s kind of cute--when we both take them off at once (to do housework, say), he nests them.

He wanted us to have matching bands, and boy was it hard to find something we could agree on. I think we tried on every band in the entire city. He''s a designer and extremely fussy. I might have chosen yellow gold myself, but he wanted platinum (actually, he wanted what he called "silver"--he didn''t know there was such a thing as white gold or platinum), which I''m glad of now, because my mother gave me my grandmother''s platinum engagement ring and I can wear it with my wedding ring.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 12:18:19 PM

Believe it or not, I found my band on ebay. The seller has been mentioned at PS before, it''s how I found them originally. The seller''s name is Vanzy. No frills, but a tungsten carbide band (cobalt free) in the width I wanted for a great price!
I have a tungsten band from ebay too, and I like it (travel ring). I just ran a search and several 2mm bands popped up as options.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results