shape
carat
color
clarity

Do bezels make stones look smaller?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I have some 2 ctw studs that I’m trying to sell (I had upgraded) but if I’m unable to get enough out of them, then I was thinking of bezeling them so that they would at least be different from the prong upgrades . I really like miligrain bezels. Anyway, will they make the diamonds look smaller though? Since the bezel covers a bit of the stone (I’m guessing?). TIA!

P

Petalouda

My impression has always been that bezels make stones look larger. Bonus is your stone will be well protected.

i has tiny diamond studs reset from four prong to bezel and they had more of a presence on my ear after the reset.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
My experience is a well done bezel will make the stone look slightly larger. A slim frame of metal draws the eye out to the edge and blends with the sparkle. Especially with milgrain.

A poorly done bezel, that is excessively thick and encroaches onto the edges of the stone too much, or when it is set too deep, can engulf the stone and make it appear smaller.

I had a very nicely done bezel on an old cut diamond and it definitely looked larger once set than loose.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all! Good to know that it will do the opposite of what I thought it might .

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I agree. Bezels make diamonds look larger, especially old cuts.

@LLJsmom I recognize your name from other threads and am in love with your ring - I hope you don’t mind me asking what is the size of that stone? It’s is SUCH a beauty.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom I recognize your name from other threads and am in love with your ring - I hope you don’t mind me asking what is the size of that stone? It’s is SUCH a beauty.

Thank you @Mreader I assume you’re referring to my OEC? It’s 3.04 carats.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
ive always liked a bezel long before i knew what they were called
i can't say i ever took any notice of if they made the stone look bigger or smaller till i PS
My experience is a well done bezel will make the stone look slightly larger. A slim frame of metal draws the eye out to the edge and blends with the sparkle. Especially with milgrain.

A poorly done bezel, that is excessively thick and encroaches onto the edges of the stone too much, or when it is set too deep, can engulf the stone and make it appear smaller.

I had a very nicely done bezel on an old cut diamond and it definitely looked larger once set than loose.

this is very infornative
thank you

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I actually read it on here first, when I asked the same question before my own bezel! Can't remember who said it so can't credit them, but it was absolutely borne out by my experience and I'm glad I listened to whoever it was :)

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
There are bezels and there are bezels.

my preference is to have a thin milgrain bezel for studs.

I have seen thicker bezels which will dwarf the stone.

So pls see examples of the jewelers work to know if it works for you or not.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
There are bezels and there are bezels.

my preference is to have a thin milgrain bezel for studs.

I have seen thicker bezels which will dwarf the stone.

So pls see examples of the jewelers work to know if it works for you or not.

I have a preference for miligrain when it comes to bezel work anyway :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results