shape
carat
color
clarity

Do AVCs look better in...

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
August Vintage Cushions? Do they look better in a YG, WG, or RG setting in your humble opinion of course :D

Debating purchasing a J color, warmer stone as well...

Last edited:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
From a period point of view - there was no white gold until after WWI, before then all white was platinum and silver.
Rose gold only existed in lower carats than settings were made in - 9K 10K 14K aand 15K - again the unemployed metallurgists who made weapons etc discovered how to make lower carat yellow golds (a touch of zinc).

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
It really depends on your colour sensitivity. and what the stone feels/ looks like.

I Have seen an M (antique cushion) that look super white and it performs well in white metal with a halo. Only in store lighting tho.

I have seen J coloured stone when set in platinum that shows more body colour of the J.

I love rose gold at the moment and have seen lower than J coloured stones in RG which look great in videos.

consider getting the stone to physically see it.
Take it to a jeweler and have it sit in a WG/RG/YG/Pt setting with or without a halo. In side the studio and also outside in daylight.

That would be the best way to determine what suit your eye.

If that is not available to you:
Ask the vendor to do the same and get them to take video to show you.

it is hard to judge on a screen too.
But that is next best thing.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't worry about J until two carats give or take; the so called 'color' seems best in platinum prongs with a gold shank - against the colour of gold, J is not coloured [or so I am fooled].

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
Is this a good investment? It's not an AVC but here is the stats along w/ the report attached below.

1.00 Carat Cushion Loose Diamond, J, VS2, Ideal, GIA Certified

It's a warmer stone which is what I'm aiming for. Color & measurements (less elongated) are what I'm searching for moreso than clarity for this. Also, not sure if it should go in a WG/Plat setting or a YG/RG setting.

I'm trying to recreate a vintage look if you will.

Cushion Cut Stone.PNG
GIA report.PNG

Hopefully you can read the GIA report.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Do you have a link? Videos are really needed on a cushion.

No diamond is an investment though- not monetarily. I think if you want to get something to enjoy and hope you can get a good sale price later, that's ok, but on the secondary market you will not make money on a stone unless it was severely underpriced, etc.

I don't know that a j at that size will read warm though. It may but if you want it to read warm antique time, I'd be looking at m and above myself.

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have a link? Videos are really needed on a cushion.

No diamond is an investment though- not monetarily. I think if you want to get something to enjoy and hope you can get a good sale price later, that's ok, but on the secondary market you will not make money on a stone unless it was severely underpriced, etc.

I don't know that a j at that size will read warm though. It may but if you want it to read warm antique time, I'd be looking at m and above myself.

What about this stone here?

James Allen Cushion

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The link you posted...no, too mushy under the table (bad light return).

How about this one. It still has some mush around the edge of the table but has bigger facets like an AVC.
Decent light return and bigger than the one you linked (LxW). Lower color (K) like you're looking for.

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
The link you posted...no, too mushy under the table (bad light return).

How about this one. It still has some mush around the edge of the table but has bigger facets like an AVC.
Decent light return and bigger than the one you linked (LxW). Lower color (K) like you're looking for.

I don't understand the mushy under the table comment? What is bad light return?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
The k is pretty. It looks like it may have a little warmth as well.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I don't understand the mushy under the table comment? What is bad light return?

Look at the k versus the stone you posted. The k has clear facets and a visible facet pattern. When it rotates, facets go on and off.

Your link has facets that are not uniform, are not crisp and just look messy and chaotic, to describe it loosely. That stone also is not pretty when it rotates and you have big dark areas.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Mushy" areas do not have good light return. Good light return makes the stone light up and sparkle. "Mushy" areas are where the facets are not
very distinctive or well-defined. A well-cut stone is cut where the light hits a facet then comes back out the top of the stone to your eye. Virtual facets
are where the light bounces around to a few different facets and returns to your eyes. Mushy areas are where the light goes out the side or bottom
of the stone and does not return to your eyes (will look dull).
This is the second stone you posted. It has a donut of mush...with a few decent facets. See how the mushy areas look gray (with some yellow/brown
due to the lower color)?
Capture.PNG
This is the stone I posted. It has a smaller area of mush around the edge of the table (so it is not perfect). It is a lot better than the one you posted
though as far as light-return under the table as well as along the crown of the stone. As you turn the stone I posted, more facets light up where as
if you turn the stone you posted new/nice facets never show up under the table. I hope this makes sense.
Capture.PNG
This is why AVCs are so nice because they are cut to have AGS Ideal light return (no mushy areas).

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
"Mushy" areas do not have good light return. Good light return makes the stone light up and sparkle. "Mushy" areas are where the facets are not
very distinctive or well-defined. A well-cut stone is cut where the light hits a facet then comes back out the top of the stone to your eye. Virtual facets
are where the light bounces around to a few different facets and returns to your eyes. Mushy areas are where the light goes out the side or bottom
This is the second stone you posted. It has a donut of mush...with a few decent facets. See how the mushy areas look gray (with some yellow/brown
due to the lower color)?
Capture.PNG
This is the stone I posted. It has a smaller area of mush around the edge of the table (so it is not perfect). It is a lot better than the one you posted
though as far as light-return under the table as well as along the crown of the stone. As you turn the stone I posted, more facets light up where as
if you turn the stone you posted new/nice facets never show up under the table. I hope this makes sense.
Capture.PNG
This is why AVCs are so nice because they are cut to have AGS Ideal light return (no mushy areas).

Ah ok, thank you so much!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
The K is a pretty stone and you can see some warmth, that stone I think would be lovely in YG or RG.

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
due to the lower color)?
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG

Well, I caved & got the J. Maybe not the best choice but for me size, color, & measurements were the most important. We will see how it looks at the end of the day. Still will be searching for a decent AVC. I was unable to find warmer AVCs...

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
QUESTION: Is a Cushion Modified different than a Cushion Brilliant? Diamond experts, I need your expertise!

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
New Stone

So I called JA & was able to switch the J to this K. It's not a CMB, it's a regular Ideal Cushion Cut.

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock
This is Hulk, an OMC, QR color in 18k WG. When you’re warm, you’re warm, doesn’t matter the setting color. Just my humble opinion.

38A9B908-4B5E-4AC4-9D59-8A20A870B030.jpeg

Pretty! What is a QR color?

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @caribbeanbridetobe! At the beginning of your post, you talk about AVCs, but all the stones you have linked are regular crushed-ice type cushions. Have you looked at/ruled out actual August Vintage stones? Because they look completely different from the cushions you have posted. Unless I'm not understanding what you're looking for.

ETA: Oh wait, I see you bought something. Have you received it yet? Lelt us know what you think of it. There is a pretty M color AVC available which would look great in rose or yellow gold: https://www.distinctivegem.com/coll...si1-august-vintage-cushion-brilliant-74427009

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Hi @caribbeanbridetobe! At the beginning of your post, you talk about AVCs, but all the stones you have linked are regular crushed-ice type cushions. Have you looked at/ruled out actual August Vintage stones? Because they look completely different from the cushions you have posted. Unless I'm not understanding what you're looking for.

ETA: Oh wait, I see you bought something. Have you received it yet? Lelt us know what you think of it. There is a pretty M color AVC available which would look great in rose or yellow gold: https://www.distinctivegem.com/coll...si1-august-vintage-cushion-brilliant-74427009

That’s a very nice AVC @Starfacet. I’m also now confused by OP.

DiamondsNPearls

Brilliant_Rock

I decided not to go AVC after all :(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results