shape
carat
color
clarity

Do all ideals/super ideals go "dark" in direct sunlight?

max1111

Rough_Rock
I've been obsessively reading threads on the subject. From what I understand this is either a "feature" of tighter tolerances or specific angles and measurements. There seems to be a few theories on what is going on (Not sure I buy that it's our eyes being overloaded :lol: ).

Is there a combination of angles that avoids this?

Has anyone left the super-ideal space because of this?

It would be good to get a definitive answer on this perhaps from those who managed to avoid this.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Diamonds, in general, tend to go dark in sunlight.
Indirect lighting = brings out the brilliance.
Direct lighting = brings out the fire.

Here's a great article from the business site of Garry H (Cut Nut) that goes into some further detail:

John Pollard

Shiny_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Adding to this.

There is an explanation about diamonds and sunlight, accompanied by a graphic on the PriceScope education page covering Diamond Cut.

1652613933388.png

There is further elaboration about when/why you see different beauty components on the PriceScope education page covering Diamond Performance.

max1111

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys

Anecdotally there are people with stones they claim don't do this.. is that a function of poor cuts or spec choices?

John Pollard

Shiny_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Thanks guys

Anecdotally there are people with stones they claim don't do this.. is that a function of poor cuts or spec choices?
The physics of light behavior are constant. The variables are (1) environment, (2) different shapes and/or natural & craftsmanship differences within same shapes, and (3) the eyesight and physiology of the specific viewer in the viewing moment.

Taking only #1 and #3 into consideration, people can perceive the same diamond differently - especially if one has a more advanced visual palate. That's a thing. More about it on the education page about Diamond Beauty and eyesight.

max1111

Rough_Rock
The physics of light behavior are constant. The variables are (1) environment, (2) different shapes and/or natural & craftsmanship differences within same shapes, and (3) the eyesight and physiology of the specific viewer in the viewing moment.

Taking only #1 and #3 into consideration, people can perceive the same diamond differently - especially if one has a more advanced visual palate. That's a thing. More about it on the education page about Diamond Beauty and eyesight.

Thanks John, those all make sense. I'm most interested in (2) and (3)

(2) Because there seems to be more variation in ideal cut diamonds than is claimed. Cars can have the same horsepower and 0-60 times but very different ways of getting there. Beauty and performance are obviously two different things. For example the CBI looks completely different in all but one setting.

(3) Could it be that on average preferences are related to age, eyesight, cognitive bias etc? Is it possible that enthusiasts have particular acquired (niche) tastes? I imagine in reality most non PS'ers would compromise some areas to avoid a stone that goes dark when they're in the sun.

For example. Greenm75 (who I assume was 35ish at the time) had a stone that was 9x more popular amongst 20 friends/colleagues than a more "ideal" stone from the same super ideal vendor. I'm assuming this is across a variety of environments.

Perhaps something about this particular combination made it more pleasing to more people?

Last edited:

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Almost all my ideal cuts go a little dark or steely grey. I do have an ideal-but-not-super-ideal GIA 3x three stone that I love that never goes dark.

max1111

Rough_Rock
Almost all my ideal cuts go a little dark or steely grey. I do have an ideal-but-not-super-ideal GIA 3x three stone that I love that never goes dark.

What’s the specs on the bright one?

Thanks

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Extreme direct light conditions = dark
Direct light conditions with good daylight or an office with bright walls can produce a good mix of fire and brightness at once.
It is a characteristic of about most ideal cuts.
Diamonds it won't happen in are those with extraneous leakage but they will lack fire and generally lack brightness in diffuse/ambient light.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, please be a little more specific with your 2 questions.

PearCraze

Rough_Rock
I didn't like how rounds go dark in the sun or strong spot lighting, and therefore chose a well cut fancy shape. I don't think it just affects super ideals but also ideal cut rounds and some branded precision cut fancies.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I didn't like how rounds go dark in the sun or strong spot lighting, and therefore chose a well cut fancy shape. I don't think it just affects super ideals but also ideal cut rounds and some branded precision cut fancies.

The better light return portions of fancy shapes will also likely go dark or show the dark blue from the sky.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As others have said, outdoors in direct sunlight, without any diffusion (clouds) or filtering (leaves on trees), is a lighting environment in which few diamonds will look their best.

If your lifestyle is such that you will be viewing your diamond in this environment a large portion of the time, it is probably best to choose a fancy cut with myriad small virtual facets that depend somewhat on leakage contrast for their distinctive type of performance and eye appeal.

For most people, this lighting environment is a pretty limited part of their overall day to day environment. Especially given the ridiculous heat dome we have been under lately!!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
As others have said, outdoors in direct sunlight, without any diffusion (clouds) or filtering (leaves on trees), is a lighting environment in which few diamonds will look their best.

If your lifestyle is such that you will be viewing your diamond in this environment a large portion of the time, it is probably best to choose a fancy cut with myriad small virtual facets that depend somewhat on leakage contrast for their distinctive type of performance and eye appeal.

For most people, this lighting environment is a pretty limited part of their overall day to day environment. Especially given the ridiculous heat dome we have been under lately!!

100% agree with TL
But all you need to do is use the shade of your body when in direct sunlight and your brilliant diamonds will look amazing

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results