carat
color
clarity

Dk CADs for my pear setting

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

I received my first set of CADS from David K (so exciting). I'm surprised that he was able to take my hand drawn pictures and turn
them into CADS that are close to what I actually wanted.

The green will be satin finished 14k yellow gold. The rust color will be unplated white gold. The horizontal basket bar will be
either engraved or milgrained depending on what David says he can do.

All comments/suggestions welcomed!

Some things that I'm not sure about...

1) The prongs...not sure if the 4 prongs will protect the point of the pear. Should I add a 5th prong at the point? I was thinking
of doing a triple point prong like Neil did on one of her marquises or maybe a double prong. Is this too much?

2) I was expecting the prongs/horizontal basket bar to be somewhat
like the ring below with the prongs curving over the girdle. Not sure if the CADs are set up to be like that since you can see the rust color around the edge of the pear. Do you think it is designed like the picture below and you can see the
rust just because they are CADs?

3) Do you think the scrolls that go out towards the pointed end of the pear should go out further like in my picture? (Not sure if this is possible or not). Or, do you like the way the CADs are done?

4) By my calculations the overall height is around 6mm. I wonder if it can be made any lower? My current setting is at
about 9mm...very high and I want much lower. Do you think 6mm is low enough or should I go for lower?

I think* that's all the design questions I have (for now). Thanks for your help!

tyty333

30782.jpg

_35935.jpg

side_view_of_dk_ring.jpg

img_20151226_182703353_hdr__1_.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the total depth of your pear? And yes, I would want something at the tip of the pear to protect it, be it a regular claw prong or a chevron prong.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1452273268|3972692 said:
Hi All,

I received my first set of CADS from David K (so exciting). I'm surprised that he was able to take my hand drawn pictures and turn
them into CADS that are close to what I actually wanted.

The green will be satin finished 14k yellow gold. The rust color will be unplated white gold. The horizontal basket bar will be
either engraved or milgrained depending on what David says he can do.

All comments/suggestions welcomed!

Some things that I'm not sure about...

1) The prongs...not sure if the 4 prongs will protect the point of the pear. Should I add a 5th prong at the point? I was thinking
of doing a triple point prong like Neil did on one of her marquises or maybe a double prong. Is this too much?

2) I was expecting the prongs/horizontal basket bar to be somewhat
like the ring below with the prongs curving over the girdle. Not sure if the CADs are set up to be like that since you can see the rust color around the edge of the pear. Do you think it is designed like the picture below and you can see the
rust just because they are CADs?

3) Do you think the scrolls that go out towards the pointed end of the pear should go out further like in my picture? (Not sure if this is possible or not). Or, do you like the way the CADs are done?

4) By my calculations the overall height is around 6mm. I wonder if it can be made any lower? My current setting is at
about 9mm...very high and I want much lower. Do you think 6mm is low enough or should I go for lower?

I think* that's all the design questions I have (for now). Thanks for your help!

tyty333

Ask him about the prongs. Show him the pics of my ring if you want those. Put something there though, for sure.

Also, show him that second picture too. He made that so he should know how to do it. I find he's best with pictures and arrows point to exactly what you like about each picture.

The curve to me seems out maybe a bit for foe my liking. If that's what you're going for I understand. That's just a personal preference thing. I wouldn't take it out further, though.

And yeah ask him if he can set it at a certain mm height if that's what you want. You have to allow some as you have to fit the curve in, but he'll be honest if its doable.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a stunning design!!
I would definitely add 'something' to the tip of your pear for protection.
Also, I would indeed ask David to let the scrolls come closer to the tip of your pear like in your design drawing. I think the setting will look more balanced.

I think the CAD looks great for a first CAD. It will be a stunning ring.

David can probably indeed lower it a bit more.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1452275356|3972723 said:
What is the total depth of your pear? And yes, I would want something at the tip of the pear to protect it, be it a regular claw prong or a chevron prong.

Unfortunately I dont know. I haven't seen my GIA report since the last move and not sure if it's in the attic or gone for good. ;(
I can only go by some equivalent size pears on James Allen at around 3.6/3.7mm.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your input Niel...you have such a good eye!

I think I might go with just a small double prong at the tip and move those other 2 prongs further back towards the rounded
end.

Edit - ...I will also send that pic to him so he knows what I mean.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1452276660|3972742 said:
What a stunning design!!
I would definitely add 'something' to the tip of your pear for protection.
Also, I would indeed ask David to let the scrolls come closer to the tip of your pear like in your design drawing. I think the setting will look more balanced.
I think I'm going to ask him to CAD them closer to the point. If I dont like it, then we'll go back to the original location of the
scrolls.

I think the CAD looks great for a first CAD. It will be a stunning ring.
Thank you...I'm hoping it turns out as nice as all the other rings he's done for PSers!

David can probably indeed lower it a bit more.
I think I will ask for lower if possible.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is gonna be gorgeous! Love the mixed metal and unplated WG and I think engraving would be absolutely smashing.

I'm adding to Acinom's suggestion of having him alter the CAD's to have the scrolls come out more towards the tip and do a side by side comparison of which you like better. I can't tell if it will look more balanced or less balanced, but the look is up to you of course. ::)

Showing him the photo of how the prongs curve around the girdle from underneath is a good idea. You can ask him if that is something that the CAD will illustrate.

Fun!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you want tocsee the curls popping out from the basket? Not saying that it's bad if it does, just a question I would ask yourself. Do you want to see that from the top view ornwould you rather have it tucked in.

picsart_01-08-02.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1452279966|3972779 said:
Do you want tocsee the curls popping out from the basket? Not saying that it's bad if it does, just a question I would ask yourself. Do you want to see that from the top view ornwould you rather have it tucked in.

I'm pretty sure I want to see them.

Plus I'd be afraid if I tucked them under that it might raise the height of the ring. There is a LAD ring that I also like that has scrolls
tucked under and almost the same basket but it has diamonds. It's a lovely ring but when you look straight down on it you
basically dont see anything. I think* I want to be able to see the curves and I would love it if I can see the mixed metal.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JDDN|1452279446|3972768 said:
This is gonna be gorgeous! Love the mixed metal and unplated WG and I think engraving would be absolutely smashing.

I'm adding to Acinom's suggestion of having him alter the CAD's to have the scrolls come out more towards the tip and do a side by side comparison of which you like better. I can't tell if it will look more balanced or less balanced, but the look is up to you of course. ::)

Showing him the photo of how the prongs curve around the girdle from underneath is a good idea. You can ask him if that is something that the CAD will illustrate.

Fun!

Thanks JJDN! I'm hoping that I'm not making a Frankenstein ring! I'm just putting all the things in that I love. I'm hoping you guys
will yell "Stop" when I've gone just tooo far.

I am going to ask that he pull the scrolls out towards the pointed end (if possible). I think that would be the only way I could tell
which one I liked better, or if the pulled out scrolls throw it all out of proportions. I'm just not that good at seeing things in my head and
my drawings aren't that accurate. CADs are my friend... :))

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks lovely! I was going to say the same thing as Niel about tucking under the scrolls but I see that you want to see them from above. If you did tuck them under it would make the head have to sit on top and I see you want the ring low set. Actually 6mm height to the table is pretty low.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1452316409|3973081 said:
It looks lovely! I was going to say the same thing as Niel about tucking under the scrolls but I see that you want to see them from above. If you did tuck them under it would make the head have to sit on top and I see you want the ring low set. Actually 6mm height to the table is pretty low.

Thanks redwood66....I wasn't sure what was considered low and was going to start a new thread asking people how low their low settings
Were. Thanks for your input!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm the owner of the ring in that second photo and here is the CAD David did for me, in case this helps you show him the prongs. They were already pointed in the CAD, as you can see. I don't know if they way they look has something to do with the octagonal shape of the head that I was looking for, but again, maybe this will help you.

_35946.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lookinagain|1452361011|3973236 said:
I'm the owner of the ring in that second photo and here is the CAD David did for me, in case this helps you show him the prongs. They were already pointed in the CAD, as you can see. I don't know if they way they look has something to do with the octagonal shape of the head that I was looking for, but again, maybe this will help you.

Sorry I missed this post Lookinagain! Thanks for posting the CADs. Dk has sent me another set of CADS and I was thinking the bar under the stone might be too far down and from now seeing your CADs I will ask
Him to set it more like your height. I'm not trying to see any metal around the sides of my pear though and I think that may be a problem. I'm not sure if I can have it both ways (not see any metal but also still have the stone set low). It may be an either/or situation. This CAD stuff is harder than I though!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see you have the finished product, any pics?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Neil :wavey:

I haven't created a thread yet. I ended up going in a different direction. DK was just moving too slow for me. :(sad I thought
I had the patience to wait for him but just got tired of waiting. I think Pricescope has probably overwhelmed him so...I ended up
going with a JA setting that I am very happy with! It has some of the same lines but none of the little curls supporting the pear. I
also chickened out of going with yellow gold.

I'll have to create a thread or maybe I'll just add some pics to this thread. In the mean time here are a few shots...

img_20160319_181325238_hdr_2.jpg

img_20160319_180613190_hdr_2.jpg

img_20160319_180258701_hdr_2.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1458439686|4008012 said:
Hi Neil :wavey:

I haven't created a thread yet. I ended up going in a different direction. DK was just moving too slow for me. :(sad I thought
I had the patience to wait for him but just got tired of waiting. I think Pricescope has probably overwhelmed him so...I ended up
going with a JA setting that I am very happy with! It has some of the same lines but none of the little curls supporting the pear. I
also chickened out of going with yellow gold.

I'll have to create a thread or maybe I'll just add some pics to this thread. In the mean time here are a few shots...

Wow, I do love that, and now that I see it close up i can totally see that it's that setting. It's very fluid! I like that a lot.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you ringsearching and Neil.

The setting is very fluid. It's actually a very dainty setting IMO. My old setting was like a work horse...indestructible. I feel like I need to take more care with this one. JA did a nice job on it though. I was worried whether they could do nice claw prongs or not...wasn't a problem for them.

Right now I'm wearing it with a 1.5mm band. Will probably look for a small diamond band in the future.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1458443276|4008025 said:
Thank you ringsearching and Neil.

The setting is very fluid. It's actually a very dainty setting IMO. My old setting was like a work horse...indestructible. I feel like I need to take more care with this one. JA did a nice job on it though. I was worried whether they could do nice claw prongs or not...wasn't a problem for them.

Right now I'm wearing it with a 1.5mm band. Will probably look for a small diamond band in the future.

Yes they can make their prongs very dainty if they try.

I think putting a diamond band between the two rings your wearing now would look great down the road.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your reset tyty, you chose a beautiful setting! :love: :appl:

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
I love it!!!! It looks gorgeous on your hand and I agree with a Diamond band at some point! I think the prongs are great too :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very nice and so elegant.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh :love: What a beautiful choice tyty. You have a stunning ring and it looks great on you.
Please create a thread with lots of pics.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the new set! The metal looks like it is liquid - just enough to compliment the stone but takes nothing away from the solitaire look. This is fabulous!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your new set! Gorgeous :love:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous! So elegant! :appl:

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the flowing curves and the way they cradle your pear!! Beautiful choice!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Junebug17, laurenk, Gypsy, Acinom, MissGotRocks, redwood66, Rockinruby and JDDN :wavey:

I never realized how hard it is to pick out an ering setting (I didnt get to choose the first time). Luckily with the collective help
of PSers and all the many threads posted, I was able to figure out what I wanted and am very happy with the results!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results