shape
carat
color
clarity

Disinfectants, hand sanitizers and cs - what’s safe?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Hey, wanted to check what’s safe to wear when there is so much disinfectant, hand washing and sanitizer usage right now. Especially when some of the hand sanitizers are alcohol based, and the disinfectants could contain chlorine.

From what I’ve read, diamonds, sapphires and rubies are fine.

Opals and pearls definitely not.

What about other cs like jadeite, garnets, tourmalines, aquamarines, etc?

Whether we should still wear rings etc when they may have small crevices that are hard to clean is another question... but I’m not used to totally bare hands, so I’ve been wearing my diamond ring and kept most of my cs rings.

Anyone else changed their jewellery wearing habits?

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

JustinL

Rough_Rock
i remember Jadeite barrel, when you wear them for a period of time, the hole that direct contact with the necklace will turn black. And I will use alcohol to clean them. But once clean, will use water to rinse them. i still think when you want to apply hand sanitiser, apply it then only proceed to wear your rings.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Just FYI for jadeite:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I haven't worn any rings out because they get so disgusting. If you need to use hand sanitizer then your rings are likely contaminated as well and need to be fully sanitized. Once it dries the rings are gross, forget it. I'm working from home anyway so my rings sit on an open tray and keep me company that way.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yea like fortekitty I have stopped wearing all my rings...I just cant stand to get them gunked up and dirty and then you risk losing them when taking them off and washing/sanitizing your hands...makes me very sad to not wear them...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results