shape
carat
color
clarity

Dishwasher cleaning diamond jewelry

Antony

Rough_Rock
I saw this. I tried it. It worked extremely well. My wife's ring came out sparkling. The little holder appears to be safe. Anyone have an experience where this went wrong? I can't see any problem with it other than maybe using too harsh a detergent.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue dawn and a spash of ammonia is better IMO. It is a cool idea-- I never thought of using one of those baby items, though maybe the mesh could pull a prong or pave...

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
would not ever do this.

dont need prongs getting banged around while being super heated. I would be beyond mad if DH did this.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have used this method with great results. I wouldn't use it on pave though.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I wouldn't either. You can get a little ultrasonic for occasional cleaning, but a couple of drops of Dawn and hot water (or soak in Connoisseurs jewelry cleaner) , then brush the diamond with a baby toothbrush and rinse with hot water is all my diamond ever really needs.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I do it all the time. I use an old fashioned tea ball. Fabulous.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Interesting... if you had a very secure cutlery basket... and it was the only thing in it ...

Some dishwashing tablets are quite abrasive. And I'm almost certain it would strip plating off metal that was plated (e.g. white gold).

Unrelated question: Channel set diamonds are often touching or almost touching. Would you put these in an ultrasonic?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
God no! What I'd a stone pops out! Blah.

I have a little at home steamer and an ultrasonic. My morning goes like this : ultrasonic, steam, cool blow dry with a hair dryer. She's the cleanest hog at the fair, I tell you.

ABKIS

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Read the title of the post and my brain was like "no, no, no, no, no, no" :errrr: I would be far too scared to even attempt in the dishwasher but I'm glad that it worked out for you. I agree with denverappraiser and diamondseeker - a little dish soap and a baby toothbrush go a long way. :))

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see a difference if I use dawn and a toothbrush or my ultrasound - both are good, but the latter is def better IMHO.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...and then you wait 2 hours for it to be done - as opposed to my ultrasonic, which takes 3 minutes. Apart from it taking sooo long, there's also the issue of just how long that ring is being pummeled. That's 1/2/3 hours (however long) of your ring's prongs and your diamond being beaten by water and submerged in high heat.

I think it's bad enough doing it in something soft. Doing it in something hard could be so easily disastrous; apart from affecting the metal work, it could also crack your diamond - especially if there's any inclusions in the stone that affect the integrity of the stone.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:-o:-o:-o:-o

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I have no interest in adding to my present workload--more things to load and unload in the DW? Nope. But whatever works for you.

cheers--Sharon

totallyfree

Shiny_Rock
Tooth brush and soap in the shower. Not the same tooth brush you use in your mouth. Obvs.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The jeweler in me wants to shout out, NO NOT IN THE SHOWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While not likely, if a stone should be loose and pop out while you are cleaning it, disaster. It will be gone down the drain, likely before you even knew it was gone.

I always recommend cleaning your jewelry on a counter top or other safe location where there are no open drains lurking to grab your treasure for a gravity assisted escape.

Wink

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why do this? Palmolive, a toothbrush, and 30 seconds of elbow grease will do as good and possibly a better job for less grief.

That's what I've found to be true, absolutely. A dishwasher seems a bit extreme, and if you have pave I think it would be a mistake. You can't use an ultrasonic cleaner on pave either.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see it now. A man walks into a store with a baby-food sucky bag full of tiny diamonds and a setting missing a bunch of diamonds. Can you imagine the looks on the jeweler's face when told the Youtube winner of an idea? :-o:confused::naughty:
ROFL :lol-2:

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I can see it now. A man walks into a store with a baby-food sucky bag full of tiny diamonds and a setting missing a bunch of diamonds. Can you imagine the looks on the jeweler's face when told the Youtube winner of an idea? :-o:confused::naughty:
ROFL :lol-2:
Lol!!
"I ran this ring through the dishwasher repeately and now the stones need to be reset- is this covered under the warranty?"

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Gentle dish detergent, a toothbrush, patience, over a counter with a paper-towel or small bowl underneath.

Also - personal size, home-use, good quality ultra-sonic machines are not very expensive and do wonders.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This imo is the Tim "tool time taylor" way of cleaning jewelry. I love the idea lol but it's like mowing your 5x10 front lawn with a semi lol. A for effort! :clap:

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
The jeweler in me wants to shout out, NO NOT IN THE SHOWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While not likely, if a stone should be loose and pop out while you are cleaning it, disaster. It will be gone down the drain, likely before you even knew it was gone.

I always recommend cleaning your jewelry on a counter top or other safe location where there are no open drains lurking to grab your treasure for a gravity assisted escape.

Wink
I learned this the hard way last year and will NEVER take chances again. My stud + earring jacket slipped out of my fingers and down the sink drain. In a moment of "maternal instinct," I opened up the vanity and literally ripped the p trap off my bathroom sink. Water everywhere, damaged PVC, but the earring was found safe and sound. I figure that's my one freebie to teach me a lesson, haha.

minimountains

Shiny_Rock
When I had some of my diamond jewelry appraised, he told me the best thin to do was soak my rings in "simple green" in a small cup. Simple green is sold in cleaning isles at market stores. It works better than anything so far but I am weary to put one of my pieces with antiqued rhodium around my melee diamonds.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Apart from the risks of doing this I would also question really how clean the ring would become! With all the small details in a ring, where grease and other stuff could get stuck from food/residue? When I use my ultra sonic cleaner I change the water at least twice in one cleaning (and my rings are rarely dirty to begin with)!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results