shape
carat
color
clarity

Disgruntled diamond buyer

1rookiehere

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!
Please allow me to vent my frustrations and if there are any tips or strategies that would be great.
There was a specific stone I've had my eye on. I keep getting told its on hold for someone and theres a secondary hold on it..? .blah blah blah.. Well I asked about it again yesterday and the guy told me he'll push the supplier if its a stone I really want, which it was. He said to put in the order and wire the money right away, which I did. Come to find out today that they weren't able to get it and now I have to wait who knows how many days for a refund check in the mail. Needless too say I'm pissed, the guy should've never told me to wire the money over in the first place. Make matters worse, he tries to sell me a worse color grade diamond and was super pushy about it. Thats when I said "refund please"

I've been in the market for a little while now. Im looking to spend about $10,000 and I have specific things I want in a stone. EVERY TIME I find one that I like, it's unavailable. I feel like half of the stones online are not available. What am I doing wrong here.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you buying from the trusted vendors recommended here? One issue you might be having is buying from drop ship vendors rather than those who have stones in house. If you buy from vendors that keep their stones in house (e.g. in house from Whiteflash or Brian Gavin), or from high performance diamonds, then this won't happen.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I should have added that I can totally understand why you are so irritated. I would be furious.

1rookiehere

Rough_Rock
I was looking at B2C and Enchanted Diamonds. Both I know draw. from the same supplier. I can't use BG because they only sell rounds. I'm trying to buy a fancy cut stone

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BG and Blue Nike sells all shapes. Diamonds by Lauren sells fancy shapes.

What shape are clarity are you looking for?

The term for what you are experiencing is called “virtual inventory”... what happened is somewhat common.

1rookiehere

Rough_Rock

The term for what you are experiencing is called “virtual inventory”... what happened is somewhat common.

I'm looking for pear shaped.

I'll check out those 3 sites although I think I have and didn't find what I was looking for.

So is there a trick to get a stone through the "virtual inventory". It's been EXTREMELY frustrating.

pinklemonadegurl

Shiny_Rock
Why not contact the vendor directly, and say, "Here's my budget, I am seeking a pear around this ct. weight, clarity, colour, etc" and let them help you find a stone? It IS frustrating, but the right stone will find its' way to you(and her). And so much great advice and expertise here to help you along the way....

1rookiehere

Rough_Rock
Why not contact the vendor directly, and say, "Here's my budget, I am seeking a pear around this ct. weight, clarity, colour, etc" and let them help you find a stone? It IS frustrating, but the right stone will find its' way to you(and her). And so much great advice and expertise here to help you along the way....

well after that stint with that vendor I didn't want to do business with them. It would've been wayyy easier to do it with that vendor since they already had my money, but I HATE pushy sales people especially when I know what I want. Plus, I had heard this vendor has done this in the past.

I will do that with a new better vendor though.

1rookiehere

Rough_Rock

I'm on BG site. Looks promising. Do they have their own inventory? I think I see a stone I saw on the other sites.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
BG pears will be drawn from virtual inventory

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well that doesn't help me. Thanks for the info.
Not all vendors will be shady about virtual inventory. I would recommend contacting BG directly and asking about the stone. It's not that all virtual inventory is awful, just that some vendors aren't reliable about getting able to source the stones they advertise.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your preferred color of stone, size, etc? And is 10K your max budget?

Edit: don't know if you are open to a completed ring, but this is really pretty:
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/102ct-e-si2-pear-diamond-ring-r5305

So is this one:
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/101ct-i-si2-pear-diamond-ring-r5941

Or if you are open to yellow (obviously only if your intended is ok with it of course)
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/151ct-yellow-vs2-pear-diamond-ring-r5608

1rookiehere

Rough_Rock
What is your preferred color of stone, size, etc? And is 10K your max budget?

Edit: don't know if you are open to a completed ring, but this is really pretty:
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/102ct-e-si2-pear-diamond-ring-r5305

So is this one:
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/101ct-i-si2-pear-diamond-ring-r5941

Or if you are open to yellow (obviously only if your intended is ok with it of course)
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/151ct-yellow-vs2-pear-diamond-ring-r5608

Those are all beautiful but I already have a yellow gold setting so color I if its not too yellow or better. 1.50+ carats, SI1+. $10,000 is my max

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are all beautiful but I already have a yellow gold setting so color I if its not too yellow or better. 1.50+ carats, SI1+. $10,000 is my max
What does the setting look like? I worry a little when people get settings first because settings usually need to be made to order for a specific stone size. A setting will only be able to accommodate a certain size. Can you link the setting?

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
Contact Martin at USA Certed Diamonds he is a trusted vendor on PS and can help you out very professional.

1rookiehere

Rough_Rock
Contact Martin at USA Certed Diamonds he is a trusted vendor on PS and can help you out very professional.

ok thanks. I've been in that site and its not impressive at all. Does he have better access to "virtual inventory"?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ok thanks. I've been in that site and its not impressive at all. Does he have better access to "virtual inventory"?
He's a great vendor and has excellent access to virtual inventory. I would call him. Also, ID Jewelry in new york is amazing.

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock

Don't pay too much attention what his site looks like he is very reputable I have dealt with him myself. He deals with virtual inventory and will be able to find you exactly what you are looking for with your budget without any BS or shady business.

1rookiehere

Rough_Rock
Don't pay too much attention what his site looks like he is very reputable I have dealt with him myself. He deals with virtual inventory and will be able to find you exactly what you are looking for with your budget without any BS or shady business.

ok, I had not heard of them before and the site was all I had to go off of. I'll contact him and I am on ID Jewelry now as well. Thank You!

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
ok, I had not heard of them before and the site was all I had to go off of. I'll contact him and I am on ID Jewelry now as well. Thank You!

Glad we can help !

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I can’t tell you if this stone is good or not ... it is K colour ... but Good Old Gold has it in house and they are a fabulous vendor! They also have concierge service and could find one for you.

ETA: I’m not sure I could recommend this diamond either - it’s not certified! I like the video, lol.

https://www.goodoldgold.com/diamonds/id/3604847

ETA#2 (I should not be allowed on the internet today) ... to the OP ... I’m sorry to hear this happened to you! That sucks! I hope that you can get it resolved quickly.

Last edited:

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
A few points here just to see if clarification can be made. And - yes the frustration with online transactions and wired money can certainly be an ordeal. Each diamond partner that anyone who carries a virtual inventory deals with may have different rules. If the diamond is with a wholesale partner in New York (for example), placing the diamond on hold or getting it in to look at without customer payment can be easy. If it is with a supplier in, say, Sri Lanka the rules can be very different. Often times the supplier's rules about holding a diamond, or sending it out dictate what the online vendor can do (and thus how much flexibility they have).

Diamonds are "out of stock" or "unavailable" for many reasons. One may be that a customer using a different vendor has purchased the diamond but it is still in a return window so the virtual inventory still shows it as available. It may be that the diamond has been taken to a convention or show and is on display for X number of days, but will eventually be back so it has not been taken offline because it is still for sale. Often times a diamond is listed as available, but it is held in Europe or Asia where all the businesses are closed for the night- that diamond could have been sold 10 hours before but the inventory wont be updated in their system until first thing in the morning so a customer finds a great deal (that is already gone) but doesn't find out it is gone for 24 hours. The list goes on...

Compound that frustration with bank requirements on hold and refund time times, or third-party finance companies (if they are used to handle the money) that require a time-period to refund wire-transfers and a 5 day hold is not unusual and may actually be at the shorter end of the spectrum for a wire-transfer refund.

All of these potential speed-bumps are often overlooked since, in many cases, the internet-based diamond sellers can offer more attractive pricing on the desired stones.

I hope all works out for you - diamonds are supposed to make us happy, every vendor hates it if they make someone frustrated. Best Wishes!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry you had this experience. These are all great suggestions everyone has contributed. Fancies are a bit more tricky than sourcing a round. With that said, an I color will look very white in a yellow gold setting. Quite honestly, given you have a yellow gold setting I wouldn't go any higher in color and get the most bang for your buck (depending on how large a stone your mounting can accommodate) as you wouldn't even want to put the more colorless stones in a yellow gold mounting anyhow. I love that you are doing a pear in yellow gold... that is such a gorgeous look and I'm glad we are starting to see that coming around again. It's like with marquise, which was my "original" e-ring... I REALLY miss that shape. Just gave husband the hint that for the 30th anniversary of our engagement (forthcoming in July) I would love to have another marquise lol!!! I know you will find the perfect stone from a vendor who is worthy of you as a valued customer and I can't wait to see the finished ring. We've all experienced some not so great things happen with regard to diamond-related issues so we understand your frustration. Hang in there!!!

1rookiehere

Rough_Rock
A few points here just to see if clarification can be made. And - yes the frustration with online transactions and wired money can certainly be an ordeal. Each diamond partner that anyone who carries a virtual inventory deals with may have different rules. If the diamond is with a wholesale partner in New York (for example), placing the diamond on hold or getting it in to look at without customer payment can be easy. If it is with a supplier in, say, Sri Lanka the rules can be very different. Often times the supplier's rules about holding a diamond, or sending it out dictate what the online vendor can do (and thus how much flexibility they have).

Diamonds are "out of stock" or "unavailable" for many reasons. One may be that a customer using a different vendor has purchased the diamond but it is still in a return window so the virtual inventory still shows it as available. It may be that the diamond has been taken to a convention or show and is on display for X number of days, but will eventually be back so it has not been taken offline because it is still for sale. Often times a diamond is listed as available, but it is held in Europe or Asia where all the businesses are closed for the night- that diamond could have been sold 10 hours before but the inventory wont be updated in their system until first thing in the morning so a customer finds a great deal (that is already gone) but doesn't find out it is gone for 24 hours. The list goes on...

Compound that frustration with bank requirements on hold and refund time times, or third-party finance companies (if they are used to handle the money) that require a time-period to refund wire-transfers and a 5 day hold is not unusual and may actually be at the shorter end of the spectrum for a wire-transfer refund.

All of these potential speed-bumps are often overlooked since, in many cases, the internet-based diamond sellers can offer more attractive pricing on the desired stones.

I hope all works out for you - diamonds are supposed to make us happy, every vendor hates it if they make someone frustrated. Best Wishes!

Hi Brian,
FYI, the vendor I was talking about was not B2C with the whole wire situation, but Yes, I have been trying to buy from B2C but have been extremely frustrated with it. I know your customer service team is doing the best they can. They have been great at responding, emailing, calling, sending videos/pictures on my request.
I ask if a stone is available, they say yes, then oh wait, its not.
I'm patient and just want honesty.
Can they put me on the wait list if the stone becomes available?
Can someone keep an eye on one if it indeed some how does become available?

These are all the extra steps I wish could take place with all those variables you listed.

Thanks for the explanation Brian!

1rookiehere

Rough_Rock
I'm so sorry you had this experience. These are all great suggestions everyone has contributed. Fancies are a bit more tricky than sourcing a round. With that said, an I color will look very white in a yellow gold setting. Quite honestly, given you have a yellow gold setting I wouldn't go any higher in color and get the most bang for your buck (depending on how large a stone your mounting can accommodate) as you wouldn't even want to put the more colorless stones in a yellow gold mounting anyhow. I love that you are doing a pear in yellow gold... that is such a gorgeous look and I'm glad we are starting to see that coming around again. It's like with marquise, which was my "original" e-ring... I REALLY miss that shape. Just gave husband the hint that for the 30th anniversary of our engagement (forthcoming in July) I would love to have another marquise lol!!! I know you will find the perfect stone from a vendor who is worthy of you as a valued customer and I can't wait to see the finished ring. We've all experienced some not so great things happen with regard to diamond-related issues so we understand your frustration. Hang in there!!!

aww, thank you so much @headlight
I agree in that I don't want to pay the extra $$ for a color G or higher and I'm good with SI1.
I just want one thats clear (no mushiness) and no bowtie. I love fancy cuts and I like yellow gold more and more.
I keep telling myself that all those other stones that weren't available, were not meant to be the ones for me. HAHAHA.. trying to keep some hope here.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
You are CORRECT in that the other stones were not meant to be and that's exactly why they didn't matriculate. Be confident in knowing that the right one (just like your man!) will come along. I know that for every diamond as well as anything else in my almost 54 years on this earth where I "rushed" the situation along was a mistake. Let the forces that be do their thing and trust the process. Before we all know it, you will be posting insanely gorgeous hand shots of your new beauty. It will happen!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Brian,
FYI, the vendor I was talking about was not B2C with the whole wire situation, but Yes, I have been trying to buy from B2C but have been extremely frustrated with it. I know your customer service team is doing the best they can. They have been great at responding, emailing, calling, sending videos/pictures on my request.
I ask if a stone is available, they say yes, then oh wait, its not.
I'm patient and just want honesty.
Can they put me on the wait list if the stone becomes available?
Can someone keep an eye on one if it indeed some how does become available?

These are all the extra steps I wish could take place with all those variables you listed.

Thanks for the explanation Brian!

Thanks for the response - I will look at the way we handle these situations and see if modifications can be made - great suggestions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results