shape
carat
color
clarity

discolored melee diamond ?!?! NEED HELP !

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
hi everyone,

i recently posted my ring on the SMTB forum :

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...of-my-2-32-g-vs1-michael-b-paris-ring.151559/

i have been head over heels on this ring, while taking lots of photos of the ring i have shockingly discovered a "gray" looking melee diamond under the basket :

IMG_2997_0.jpg

it is very subtle or even undetectable when the ring is in lighting situations where lots of fire is emitted, thus i really did not notice this when i was still at the jewelry store (under bright spotlights).

under fluorescent light and daylight, however, i can noticeably see this "discolored" diamond standing out amongst the rest of the icy white melee's ...

i have had this ring for 3 days and i did not run this ring through anything dirty, in fact i tried to scrub that part with dish soap and a soft bristled tooth brush with no results ...

what to do? has any of you experienced this before? is this stone "defective" ? is it the platinum metal behind the stone? dirt ? what is it? this is a Michael B setting and the company only uses F-G colored and VVS clarity stones ... :confused:

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
If it is bothering you, go back and have them replace the stone. You don't want to let this one stone become the negative thing that you focus on in your BEAUTIFUL ring. Good luck :bigsmile:

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Have someone look at it under a microscope and see why the stone is gray. It may have junk stuck behind it that can be cleaned in an ultrasound or it may be chipped or broken and need replacing. Melee are much less expensive than the work required to replace them, so I would take this opportunity to have the shop you bought it from fix it.

ER-M

Rough_Rock
hi everyone,

i recently posted my ring on the SMTB forum :

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...of-my-2-32-g-vs1-michael-b-paris-ring.151559/

i have been head over heels on this ring, while taking lots of photos of the ring i have shockingly discovered a "gray" looking melee diamond under the basket :

IMG_2997_0.jpg

it is very subtle or even undetectable when the ring is in lighting situations where lots of fire is emitted, thus i really did not notice this when i was still at the jewelry store (under bright spotlights).

under fluorescent light and daylight, however, i can noticeably see this "discolored" diamond standing out amongst the rest of the icy white melee's ...

i have had this ring for 3 days and i did not run this ring through anything dirty, in fact i tried to scrub that part with dish soap and a soft bristled tooth brush with no results ...

what to do? has any of you experienced this before? is this stone "defective" ? is it the platinum metal behind the stone? dirt ? what is it? this is a Michael B setting and the company only uses F-G colored and VVS clarity stones ... :confused:

I know I am YEARS late to this conversation but I would love some help! I purchased a Diamond that is round, 2.3 cts, G, VVS1 Hearts & Arrows and am having a setting made. It’s called the Hana at Brian Gavin in platinum and the shank is 1.7mm but I am going w/the 4 prong not 6. It also has the invisible halo. I saw that the height of your head was 8.5mm and thought it looked very similar to mine. I will try to attach pic. The designer said he recommends 6.8mm and doesn’t ever like to go above 7.5? They said for a larger Diamond that’s not practical and isn’t very safe? Can anyone offer their opinion. Unfortunately I am doing this all online. I live in Ny and they are in Houston Texas. I will attach the cad they did I. The 6.8 and the 8.5 I asked for that they don’t recommend. THANK U!!
IMG_3703.png Screen Shot 2023-08-22 at 11.02.13 AM.png IMG_3703.png Screen Shot 2023-08-22 at 11.02.13 AM.png IMG_6453.jpeg IMG_6454.jpeg

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know I am YEARS late to this conversation but I would love some help! I purchased a Diamond that is round, 2.3 cts, G, VVS1 Hearts & Arrows and am having a setting made. It’s called the Hana at Brian Gavin in platinum and the shank is 1.7mm but I am going w/the 4 prong not 6. It also has the invisible halo. I saw that the height of your head was 8.5mm and thought it looked very similar to mine. I will try to attach pic. The designer said he recommends 6.8mm and doesn’t ever like to go above 7.5? They said for a larger Diamond that’s not practical and isn’t very safe? Can anyone offer their opinion. Unfortunately I am doing this all online. I live in Ny and they are in Houston Texas. I will attach the cad they did I. The 6.8 and the 8.5 I asked for that they don’t recommend. THANK U!!
IMG_3703.png Screen Shot 2023-08-22 at 11.02.13 AM.png IMG_3703.png Screen Shot 2023-08-22 at 11.02.13 AM.png IMG_6453.jpeg IMG_6454.jpeg

@ER-M You should start your own thread asking for help with your design. You’ll get more traction that way.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ER-M

Agree with starting your own thread. You can always ‘@‘ the OP, as I did to you
To catch their attention.

IMO once the subject is about being ‘safe/er’
I would choose to weigh heavier the opinion of the maker, rather than crowdsourcing the opinion.
Maybe it has to do also with having 4 prongs.

Did they comment about the eternity band depicted needing a spacer between the rings so there’s no damage? That donut doesn’t look adequate to prevent damage, as what it looks in either CAD.

ER-M

Rough_Rock
IMG_6454.jpeg
@ER-M

Agree with starting your own thread. You can always ‘@‘ the OP, as I did to you
To catch their attention.

IMO once the subject is about being ‘safe/er’
I would choose to weigh heavier the opinion of the maker, rather than crowdsourcing the opinion.
Maybe it has to do also with having 4 prongs.

Did they comment about the eternity band depicted needing a spacer between the rings so there’s no damage? That donut doesn’t look adequate to prevent damage, as what it looks in either CAD.

Thank you. The eternity band was made by them a few years ago and no they didn’t mention a spacer. Because the center Diamond will jut out from the shank it’s on, it won’t sit flush with other stones.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_6454.jpeg

Thank you. The eternity band was made by them a few years ago and no they didn’t mention a spacer. Because the center Diamond will jut out from the shank it’s on, it won’t sit flush with other stones.

From the CADs you attached, I would worry about the eternity eating away at the prongs of the engagement ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results