shape
carat
color
clarity

Disaster Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

candygirl14

Rough_Rock
I received a 3ct ring, S1, color g from a reliable jeweler. It has a small inclusion in the center of the stone (black dot). The jeweler has given us the option of returning the stone. I however am very nervous as there are attributes of the stone that I love (SPARKLES like crazy) (SIZE), etc... there is not guarantee that we will get another stone that doesn''t have an inclusion, potential feather, could be not as sparkling, smaller, etc.. We may have to give a little to get a little. Plus, returning the stone, makes me feel bad due to the principle. Any suggestions?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/6/2008 12:30:36 PM
Author:candygirl14
I received a 3ct ring, S1, color g from a reliable jeweler. It has a small inclusion in the center of the stone (black dot). The jeweler has given us the option of returning the stone. I however am very nervous as there are attributes of the stone that I love (SPARKLES like crazy) (SIZE), etc... there is not guarantee that we will get another stone that doesn't have an inclusion, potential feather, could be not as sparkling, smaller, etc.. We may have to give a little to get a little. Plus, returning the stone, makes me feel bad due to the principle. Any suggestions?
Welcome!

Firstly, does this diamond have a grading report by GIA, AGS or other lab and is it a round diamond? Also it isn't always the case, but sometimes SI clarities may not be eyeclean in a diamond of that size, even though there are some that are, not all SI are created equal.

It is cut which makes a diamond beautiful, so it is possible you could find another diamond which is eyeclean to your specifications and sparkles as well. Did you buy this stone online or did you see it in person before purchase? The thing is, that the chances are that as the dark inclusion bothers you ( understandably) that it always will, so returning this diamond might be the best thing to do.

If you could give us more info such as the grading report type, and any proportions you have of the diamond such as depth table, crown and pavilion angles, and also whether this diamond is SI1 or SI2 clarity and your budget, perhaps we can suggest alternatives. Have you considered buying online?

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Call me crazy, but if you feel strongly enough to title the thread "disaster diamond," I think perhaps you might be unhappy if you kept it?

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Lorelei...if you are already bothered by the inclusion, I just don''t think that it would be something that you would just get used to and learn to live with, KWIM?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please read my tag line below......

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/6/2008 12:43:44 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Please read my tag line below......
LOL!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I received a 3ct ring, S1, color g from a reliable jeweler. It has a small inclusion in the center of the stone (black dot). The jeweler has given us the option of returning the stone. I however am very nervous as there are attributes of the stone that I love (SPARKLES like crazy) (SIZE), etc... there is not guarantee that we will get another stone that doesn''t have an inclusion, potential feather, could be not as sparkling, smaller, etc.. We may have to give a little to get a little. Plus, returning the stone, makes me feel bad due to the principle. Any suggestions?

What principle? If it’s not the right diamond for you, have the jeweler get you one that is. They’ve already demonstrated that they deserve your business and are willing to do what it takes to make you happy. Let ''em. I must say, I don’t see the disaster here.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Jewelry Appraisals in Denver

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is the inclusion dead center? You are certain it''s not the culet? I''m sure the dealer/vendor would know, LOL, but thought I''d throw it out there, just in case.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not SURE what principle you mean ... because your FI proposed with that stone & you''re sentimental about it? OR that because you fiance accepted the stone from the jeweler that you''re stuck with it now - buyer beware? #1 you''d have to sort out on your own but if it''s #2 -- the jeweler has agreed to replace the stone. If he''s willing (as a good jeweler should be within a reasonable time frame) then you should feel FINE & guilt-free about it also.

As to the "no guarantee" the new stone will be perfect -- well, YOU''D be picking it out wouldn''t you? YOU''D decide if you love it. There may be some "giving to get" but you''ll be able to make that decision with your own eyes & full knowledge about the 1st stone. If it turns out you love the 1st one best then keep it! There aren''t any "perfect" diamonds. Everyone makes trade-offs for their budget. Its just LIFE. Not a fairy tale. Yanno? And I''d hardly call a 3 ct sparkly stone from your future husband a "disaster".
2.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know much that could help you but if you''re not absolutely loving the stone, I would seriously consider replacing it. JMHO though.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results