shape
carat
color
clarity

Disappointed with platinum!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
StoopidMonkey|1314740435|3005726 said:
This is the reason I plan on specifically requesting 900/100 Plat/Iridium for my future FI's engagement ring. According to what I've read that puts it at the same scratch resistance level as white gold. The more typical 950/50 Plat/Irid mix seems notorious for scratching.

My e-ring is 900 Plat/100 Iridium and has worn the same amount as my 950/50 wedding band. I don't mind as I like the patina and am not a white gold fan, but just wanted to chime in since I have both combos of platinum with no difference in wear.

Sparklee

Rough_Rock
motownmama|1314905585|3007636 said:
I love the look and feel of plat, but I can certainly appreciate that others don't.

+1

The "patina" is what I like the most about platinum - I'm not a big fan of overly shiny metals, but I can see how it would be an annoyance for someone who did. Different strokes, I guess..........

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
These threads have me at a crossroads. I want the heft and weight of platinum. But I don't think I want the patina/scratches that come with something that is supposed to be "durable" (I understand durable & hardness are different). Yet, I can't shake my mind to stop thinking that durable should = preserving it's look and shape with longevity-- Both of which platinum seems to falter with. I worry since I want a fairly clean shank- no pave on the shank.

My question is: Are there any vendors willing to use the PlatS+ platinum as it seems to have a VH of 170 compared to 135 with Plat/Ru. http://www.hooverandstrong.com/category/Casting+Grain+Specifications/ Also, from reading that site, it appears that the benchmen will also have to know how to properly heat-treat this platinum to prevent an oxidation effect.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I love platinum irl when it is new. Sublime. I hate the patina it gets. After having to let mechanical watches go to servicing and coming back with little dents on the face, etc. I don't want to deal with that part either. So yeah, this is why I chose 18kt gold for my ring. Platinum's molecules get 'moved around' whereas gold wears off. I can deal with the wearing off and polishing myself part. The patina phenomenon, not so much. For a piece that wouldn't be worn everyday, I'd get platinum in a heartbeat. Or gold. But for my ring, no. It's just not for me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had my plat/ruthenium rings for 5 years and there still isn't a patina. The alloy is everything. You can't generalize about platinum because they aren't all the same!!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It has got to be the alloy! I have a plat ring, my first, and I have been wearing it daily for over a month a nary a scratch! I keep waiting for the patina to develop but nothing real so far, even on the palm side of the shank. It is a Birks ring and I have not been able to find out the alloy mix, all I know is that it is stamped PT 950. I love its weight compared to gold.

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1314930049|3007919 said:
I've had my plat/ruthenium rings for 5 years and there still isn't a patina. The alloy is everything. You can't generalize about platinum because they aren't all the same!!!
I've read extensively about platinum over the yrs both on this board & the web and have also read your many posts stating the same as above. I finally *settled* on Plt/Ru for my future e-ring; however, it's hard to ignore the fact that even those with the same alloy as you- Ru- report the patina. It seems you have been lucky, but many others aren't (or don't mind the patina). I'm not sure if the way it was made has something to do with it. A previous poster in this thread has 2 different alloys that look exactly the same.

Plat/Ru seems to be better than the other alloys. However, the PlatS+ is claiming to be a bit better. ETA: check out this thread as well: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/patina-on-platinum.12947/

Thing is, I really want the look & feel of platinum. I wouldn't even mind the patina as much if it didn't seem to happen so quickly.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If more jewelers were familiar with it, I would go with a nickel-free white gold/palladium alloy, or Stuller's X1 white. Both never need rhodium plating.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So interesting how people have such varying experiences with the same material! I guess I should not be surprised though. It's not that different than diamond color, with people like me who swear H is icy white and others who can see tint in an F.

Some like the look. I think the scratches give it a well loved look. I don't mind it, but I find it's much easier to find matching rings (or stackers) in gold.. and I don't like mixing metals so I prefer gold. When I owned platinum, I quite liked the scratches. Just sayin' :cheeky:

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1314930049|3007919 said:

+1. Just like anything, it isn't all the same. Some I'm sure don't like it, but I've loved the way Plat/Ruthenium rings/jewellry with the tiffany mix look and wear.

Alloys change the characteristics of the metal performance hugely. Its a shame you didn't like your ring though.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I like platinum when it's an antique filigree piece- the platinum pieces are just capable of being lacier and more finely spun looking- or when it's covered in engraving. My modern 900PT/10IR ring from Victor Canera is covered in engraving, so that hides any patina beautifully :bigsmile:. But indeed, when there's a lot of exposed metal I'm not really a fan of the "patina". And that really sucks that your ring scratched so quick!

I know everyone says PT doesn't wear down, it just moves. But really, with antique rings, the shanks on PT are just as wire thin as the gold ones. It does wear off and wear down, and honestly, 100 years of wear looks about the exact same with both metals- significant metal loss.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LGK|1314939020|3008057 said:
I like platinum when it's an antique filigree piece- the platinum pieces are just capable of being lacier and more finely spun looking- or when it's covered in engraving. My modern 900PT/10IR ring from Victor Canera is covered in engraving, so that hides any patina beautifully :bigsmile:. But indeed, when there's a lot of exposed metal I'm not really a fan of the "patina". And that really sucks that your ring scratched so quick!

I know everyone says PT doesn't wear down, it just moves. But really, with antique rings, the shanks on PT are just as wire thin as the gold ones. It does wear off and wear down, and honestly, 100 years of wear looks about the exact same with both metals- significant metal loss.

Fascinating observation LGK!

Clearly, and unfortunately, there's just no such thing as a perpetual metal.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone's experiences are certainly different

yfzcentral

Rough_Rock
I got platinum because my fiances ring has detailing in it (mil grain). I didn't want this to wear away over the years (like it will with White Gold), so platinum it is!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results