shape
carat
color
clarity

Disappointed with 1st Pair of Freshadama - switching to wss

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Suddenly, I was bitten by the pearl bug a few weeks ago. I visited this forum, and decided to start with a pair of Freshadama earrings.

Was very excited when the package finally arrived during the crazy holiday rush. Well, these are the best quality freshwater pearls I have ever seen! Perfectly round, and super high luster.

But, I just cannot like the style - I ordered the romantic collection. Mostly because the way how the diamond is attached to the earring appears like an eye that is sticking out. It bothered me so I decided to send them back.

Last night I took the pearls out to wipe them clean then to box them for shipping back. Then I noticed that the two pearls are of different color. I looked at them again this morning in daylight, still different color! The difference is greater on black background (the box they came in) than the white background.

Please tell me that you see what I see? The pictures are not edited in any way other than cropped and shrunk in size.

I am not here to complain about Pearl Paradise. I've spoken with Allison and Kim, both are wonderful and patient in helping me locating my set of WSS (I decided to go bigger). It is just the fact that these beautiful Freshadama do not match in color is somewhat disappointing.

In the same order, I also got a a pair of metallic lavender studs for my daughter. They are not metallic at all. While pretty in color, their luster is dull, especially when placed next to the Freshadama. I mentioned that to Allison and she said that she had seen that before.

So my first order from PP is going back. I hope that I will have better luck with my second order.

dsc01814.jpg

dsc01815.jpg

dsc01810.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Somewhat Disappointed with 1st Pair of Freshadama from P

Before noticing the color difference, I decided to go with white south sea because I am not crazy about the peachy warm tone of the Freshadama. Allison and Kim from PP sent me pictures of three loose pairs to look at, and also a pair that is already set on the style I want. I went with the set pair per Allison's suggestion.

These are 12 - 13mm. Here is a picture of me wearing the 10-10.5mm Freshadama, so will the 12-13 be too big?

While I am at it, I decided also to get the Hanadama studs to at least see how these legendary pearls differ from the rest. Again I cannot decide when it comes to size, so I ordered both 7-7.5 and 9-9.5, in natural white since I probably won't like the rosy ones.

Cannot wait to see my new order to arrive (thought they are not yet shipped).

dsc01742.jpg

_13354.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Disappointed with 1st Pair of Freshadama - switching to

I had previously bought some pearls from China and had been happy with them (especially with the price paid). Thought I'd share them here.

Bottom right pair - the Freshadama earrings from PP, I included them for comparison.
Bottom left pair - freshwater from China
Top right pair - peach freshwater drops from China (super shiny in person)
Top left pair - tahitian bought from China (the most expensive among all)

The necklace is 8.5-9.5, quite white in color, has this soft glow

A close up shot of the tahitian pearls, lots of green and peacock

That's it for now. Thanks for allowing me to vent.

dsc01804.jpg

dsc01809.jpg

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock

Sorry you had a bad first experience with PP.
I can definitely see the difference in colour between the two Freshadamas earrings.
One of the great things about PP is the fabulous return policy. And the excellent customer service.

I ordered (and returned) a Freshadama bracelet from them that just didn't wow me. I exchanged it for an akoya bracelet that totally wows me! I think you should always love your jewelry and definitely return anything you don't like!

I don't think the white south sea earrings will be too big.

Keep us posted on your new order from PP!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The color does appear to be mismatched. It's pretty obvious and I think it must have been done in error-- I can't imagine that was done on purpose.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock

yingh -- Don't worry! I returned my first several purchases from PP and their no-questions-asked wonderful return policy, and superb customer service, has turned me into a very loyal customer. They will work with you until you are happy. Keep us posted!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock

Given the great experience so far, I never had any doubt that PP will take good care of my new order and let me return this pair.

I forwarded link to this post to Allison at PP to let her know what was discovered. She wrote me back quickly and apologized. That's gave me even more faith in this company.

I am now more anxious for my new order to arrive! Think about it, a pair of WSS blue silver overtone, two pairs of hanadama, and a pair of small Freshadama studs (replacement for my daughter). I wish they will be here tomorrow. :razz:

alice87

Shiny_Rock

Your earrings looks mismatched in color, true. Depending on what you like, the SSpearls may look too big or just right :twirl:
I would not keep reordering if you did not like any of the items. Just remember, they are sales people, it is a small company, they will talk you out into trying something else again and again, so you will buy and keep it :wavey:
I actually don't believe it is a mistake, you noticed it, but somebody else would not be picky, and they may leave the earrings.
You don't see it in person, and it is the biggest problem in dealing with internet orders.
Consistency in products is much better in bigger companies or in one person company. So you know, who is responsible :twirl:
Catherine Cardellini has nice pearls, try to look at her website too.
Good luck with your purchase!

SMC

Ideal_Rock

alice87|1388766914|3585538 said:
Your earrings looks mismatched in color, true. Depending on what you like, the SSpearls may look too big or just right :twirl:
I would not keep reordering if you did not like any of the items. Just remember, they are sales people, it is a small company, they will talk you out into trying something else again and again, so you will buy and keep it :wavey:
I actually don't believe it is a mistake, you noticed it, but somebody else would not be picky, and they may leave the earrings.
You don't see it in person, and it is the biggest problem in dealing with internet orders.
Consistency in products is much better in bigger companies or in one person company. So you know, who is responsible :twirl:
I disagree with most of this. PP is one of the largest, if not the largest, online sellers of pearl jewelry. I'd much rather deal with a company that specializes in pearls rather than a larger company that sells all jewelry (e.g. Blue Nile). I would venture to guess that the return process with Catherine Cardellini is more arduous and expensive than dealing with PP simply because CC is located in Australia. Finally, CC has a specific style that is somewhat different from that offered by PP, I would not say that the two sellers offer interchangeable products.

I do agree with you that not seeing products in person is the risk of buying online, but that problem is not unique to PP. I think PP has tried to make the process as easy as possible for the consumer by offering custom photographs (eg if the customer is interested in seeing a silver rose overtone vs a rose overtone) and making the returns process as easy as possible.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jeremy is really picky about matching. But you know, at the holidays when many orders have to be filled in limited time, it's easier for errors to be made.

Catherine Cardinelli's stock is so different in general from PP's stock-- it's like comparing apples and oranges. Buy from both, certainly, but as stated by sortmom, they are not interchangeable.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock

Alice87 and Sortmon, I truly appreciate both your comments, and your intention to help me making good purchase decisions.

Internet purchase is tricky, even with today's technology. On the other hand, I have made more online purchases than I am willing to admit. :tongue: I've bought diamond jewelries, and color gemstones online (even on eBay!)

My way of mitigating risks are: 1)purchase only from reputable sellers for whom consumer reviews are positive; 2)always review return policy before making any purchases; 3)compare IRL picture with vendor pictures to see how accurate they are. Whenever possible, I will also ask for non-professional pictures that are more true to real life. With these strategies, I've been able to buy color stones happily.

Now Pearl Paradise fits all my search criteria so far. The mismatched pair was less noticeable in daylight without a strong background. I am not saying that a pearl wholesaler should miss that kind of issue often, but I am willing to believe that was an error due to oversight (not on purpose). In my professional career I deal with human errors all the time so I know human errors are more common than expected.

PP's response has been very prompt and apologetic. My second order was placed before I noticed the color issue, and completely based on my own desire - PP never attempted to sell me anything or persuade me to buy more - trust me, I know those signs and would have walked away right away.

I am sure that Catherine Cardellini is another trustworthy vendor - have seen her name mentioned a few times. I will definitely report back once my new earrings arrive.

Thanks to everyone who replied! :wavey:

alice87

Shiny_Rock

sortmon|1388767879|3585552 said:
alice87|1388766914|3585538 said:
I disagree with most of this. PP is one of the largest, if not the largest, online sellers of pearl jewelry. I'd much rather deal with a company that specializes in pearls rather than a larger company that sells all jewelry (e.g. Blue Nile). I would venture to guess that the return process with Catherine Cardellini is more arduous and expensive than dealing with PP simply because CC is located in Australia. Finally, CC has a specific style that is somewhat different from that offered by PP, I would not say that the two sellers offer interchangeable products.

I do agree with you that not seeing products in person is the risk of buying online, but that problem is not unique to PP. I think PP has tried to make the process as easy as possible for the consumer by offering custom photographs (eg if the customer is interested in seeing a silver rose overtone vs a rose overtone) and making the returns process as easy as possible.
You are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine.
Catherine's photographs are far more superior to any of the PP because they represent actual products, not enhanced, and the flaws are not hidden.
Yes, return would be more difficult, but at the same time, do you buy to return?
I actually want to buy not to return because of mismatched color, size, general description, or because it was so enhanced, that it looks nothing like the product you received.
Yes, they are different, but Catherine do custom orders, and she has variety of products.
PP has more standard design.
PP as I understand has just few people on stuff. Including as it was said to me they have one person doing all the mailing. Here comes the question. If they are so trained... How is it possible to mail mismatched earrings? It is a miracle... :lol:
And PP provides photograph per request, unless you buy product listed as the only one available.
It takes time to wait for photographs, and I politely disagree, why do you even need to photograph standard products (I mean why do you other than general stock photo). If it says "freshadama dangle earring, stated color, stated size, stated overtone etc", you suppose to receive a described product. If it does not match, it is not the customer fault.
No praise here for the great return process, because who wants to hassle with returns anyway? It cost money to company, it cost money to customer, it is waiting time for money to be credited back, it is upsets and worrys that cost how much exactly?
If you return because you don't like the product, or it does not work for you, it is one story. Here is the praise for great return policy come. Customer has a choice not to like the product (but quality is fine and is presented truthfully).
If you return because product obviously not as described, there is no praise, really....

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

It is very hard to find metallic lustre in a deep colour lavender to purple.

SMC

Ideal_Rock

alice87|1388775283|3585628 said:
Catherine's photographs are far more superior to any of the PP because they represent actual products, not enhanced, and the flaws are not hidden.
Yes, return would be more difficult, but at the same time, do you buy to return?
I actually want to buy not to return because of mismatched color, size, general description, or because it was so enhanced, that it looks nothing like the product you received.
Yes, they are different, but Catherine do custom orders, and she has variety of products.
PP as I understand has just few people on stuff. Including as it was said to me they have one person doing all the mailing. Here comes the question. If they are so trained... How is it possible to mail mismatched earrings? It is a miracle... :lol:
And PP provides photograph per request, unless you buy product listed as the only one available.
It takes time to wait for photographs, and I politely disagree, why do you even need to photograph standard products (I mean why do you other than general stock photo). If it says "freshadama dangle earring, stated color, stated size, stated overtone etc", you suppose to receive a described product. If it does not match, it is not the customer fault.
No praise here for the great return process, because who wants to hassle with returns anyway? It cost money to company, it cost money to customer, it is waiting time for money to be credited back, it is upsets and worrys that cost how much exactly?
If you return because you don't like the product, or it does not work for you, it is one story. Here is the praise for great return policy come. Customer has a choice not to like the product (but quality is fine and is presented truthfully).
If you return because product obviously not as described, there is no praise, really....

It took me a little while to get the gist of your post, but I understand and basically agree that PP messed up the OP's order. If it was a mess-up, then PP should pay for the return shipping and offer to rectify the situation. I don't know if the OP pointed out the mistake to PP, but if she did, I'd think PP would have tried to make it right.

I don't order because I love to make returns, but I always consider the ease of returns when I buy (often rather recklessly) online. The return policy is kind of like an insurance policy to me, I want it to be available and I want the claims process to be easy when I do need to use it.

I think when there is a large volume of orders, the absolute number of mess-ups is also higher, even if the percentage of mess-ups is the same when compared to a low volume seller. Unfortunately, this translates to more mess-ups making their way to PS. If PP can rectify it, I don't see the problem. A PS-endorsed company recently messed up the diamond earrings I ordered, but they're fixing it, and hence I'm not on the PS forums discouraging people to stop buying from them. Mistakes happen, a company's brand is built not only on good product, but also on superior customer service. I believe PP has both.

I think that you have very high standards, which is a good thing, but also results in you being harder to please than most customers. From reading your previous posts, it seems like you have had a high proportion of unsatisfactory orders from PP, so I would encourage you to stop purchasing from them instead.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock

Sortmon, you read my mind! I could not agree more on your points, especially comparing good return policy to insurance. :twirl:

Just to clarify, PP did not offer to cover my return shipping, nor did I request it. My return will include other items (the metallic pair that did not live up to my expectation, and possibly anything I decide not to keep from my new order). I am not sure in this case, I should request for PP to pay for return shipping when there are other items mixed in.

Alice87, I must confess in my new order, at least one of the Hanadama pairs will go back - ordered two because I could not decide on the size. So this was sort of "buy to return". This is a good example of when good and easy return policy allows consumer to make purchases without the benefit of seeing the actual item first. And I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

In my case, having mismatched pearls was somewhat disappointing, but not a huge one. And that disappointment was already erased by the good and patient customer support.

Thanks again!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for the info!

Pearlescence|1388777468|3585659 said:
It is very hard to find metallic lustre in a deep colour lavender to purple.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Well the mismatched colour on the earrings is disappointing to be sure but I'm glad that you seem to have things sorted out. I think it would be worth sending them a note regarding your return. If you mention the reason for the return..the colours don't match..I'd be surprised if they didn't refund your shipping. Matching colours can be very tricky .. in one light they are perfect .. in another they look completely different. (hence one of the tahitian earring pairs that I matched up in HK will be mine to keep...they actually don't match lol )

And while I like some of CC's things and have bought (and returned) items from her I do have to agree with others that there is no comparison between the sites. Totally different styles. If I was looking for formal SS pearl earrings..I'd certainly be looking at PP or Wendy or TahitainBiz etc

As to the size of the pearls..the 13mm pearls will be substantially larger .. personally I'd love them. And, like you, I prefer multi diamond setting. If I was going to have a single diamond above 13 mm pearls..I'd want it bigger and set differently.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

The only way to match pearls is in natural full daylight or under very good daylight fluorescent. And you still have to have an eye for it, amd be very fussy and a bit obsessive.
Katbran will confirm that I ended up with three peacock round pairs from a huge lot of hundreds of pearls one afternoon in Hong Kong while she shopped strands

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock

I'm surprised you had a bad experience. I've purchased many items and never had a problem. With all the extra business they had at Christmas, mistakes can be made. Since many on this forum buy there, if this was the norm you would have read about it on the forum. I do love the eternal settings you chose for your WSS dangle earrings. I have two pair of these findings on different size pearls and they are my favorite that PP offers. Since you are ordering 12-13mm having the pearl hang from the bottom of the finding, you won't have the earring tip forward on the ear. The pearls I have on these settings are smaller and much larger than the pearls you are buying. They both work well with the eternal finding and look great.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock

Many of us on this board are loyal PP customers because they offer fantastic customer service and have such beautiful pearls :twirl: :twirl: :twirl: Your new wSS eternal earrings are gorgeous :love: :love: :love: I think you will really like the natural white akoya studs as well...there is just something special about those pearls! Down the road if you still want some great everyday earrings, I would definitely give those freshadamas another try. They do come in silver overtones that are much whiter than the rose ones. I have several wSS pieces (they are my most favorite pearls), but the freshadamas are gorgeous in their own right. I hope you love your new pearls!

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock

LitGeek|1388859872|3586215 said:
Many of us on this board are loyal PP customers because they offer fantastic customer service and have such beautiful pearls :twirl: :twirl: :twirl:

Definitely! And because returning in full confidence is such an important part of the online shopping experience, I do think it's an important factor when choosing a vendor!
I love everything I've kept from my Pearl Paradise purchases, and that's why I keep going back!

Enjoy your pearls and shop at PP with confidence!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Returns are part of the law in the EU. The Distance Selling Regulations require full refunds on return of goods with no reason required. But in any case no quibble returns are a bit of a business no-brainer.

LtypeI

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Also chiming in in support of PP - I've had great experiences working with them. Even with the relatively small quantities of pearls I buy from them, I've gotten wonderful personal attention and really enjoyed the experience.

Re: returns to any vendor (this hasn't come up for me with PP, but it has with a vendor that was mentioned above), do clarify what their return policies are before buying if you think you might return. I bought some pearls last year from a vendor that didn't have any return policies on their website, and when I tried to return them, was given a list of fees that came to around $95 to make a return. My shipping plus the vendor's shipping plus restringing fees. That was a wakeup call for me as a consumer.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock

innerkitten|1388889691|3586474 said:
Yeah that's weird. I have the romance collection pendant and the diamond on it is set low right on top of the stone. Not sure why they can't do the same for earrings.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/does-this-work-at-all.174444/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/does-this-work-at-all.174444/[/URL]

I suspect it's because the earrings are dangles and have a loop to allow them to move freely.

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock

I am so sorry to hear about your mismatched earrings but I LOVE your future white SS peari with the diamonds! I have a similar pair from PP and they are gorgeous! I add my hearty recommendation to the others regarding PP and their products & customer service. The few times I've been disappointed returning/replacing was easy and friendly.

alice87

Shiny_Rock

sortmon|1388785766|3585782 said:
alice87|1388775283|3585628 said:

It took me a little while to get the gist of your post, but I understand and basically agree that PP messed up the OP's order. If it was a mess-up, then PP should pay for the return shipping and offer to rectify the situation. I don't know if the OP pointed out the mistake to PP, but if she did, I'd think PP would have tried to make it right.

I don't order because I love to make returns, but I always consider the ease of returns when I buy (often rather recklessly) online. The return policy is kind of like an insurance policy to me, I want it to be available and I want the claims process to be easy when I do need to use it.

I think when there is a large volume of orders, the absolute number of mess-ups is also higher, even if the percentage of mess-ups is the same when compared to a low volume seller. Unfortunately, this translates to more mess-ups making their way to PS. If PP can rectify it, I don't see the problem. A PS-endorsed company recently messed up the diamond earrings I ordered, but they're fixing it, and hence I'm not on the PS forums discouraging people to stop buying from them. Mistakes happen, a company's brand is built not only on good product, but also on superior customer service. I believe PP has both.

I think that you have very high standards, which is a good thing, but also results in you being harder to please than most customers. From reading your previous posts, it seems like you have had a high proportion of unsatisfactory orders from PP, so I would encourage you to stop purchasing from them instead.
Sortmom, after horrendous ring I received from them, I have no desire to go back. I may change my mind, but it was pretty much the last drop. My first order was a disaster. I got pearls that did not even resemble freshadama and "AA quality 8 mm pearls" not even close to round in shape, no matter how far you get away from them to make them look like round. Mailed them back.
When, I had couple items I did not like, which is OK. I mailed them back, no problems with quality, just a matter of liking/ disliking. When it got a little better with a personal help.
But - why should I have personal help in such a small company???
My questions is why wait 2 weeks for a response from them? And 3 days waiting for a photo? I understand they are busy, but it gets tireding... I actually have few items I like. This is why I did not give up. But, I had papers missing in quite a few of my orders, quality not as stated. A very long wait time... they are not the only vendors out here, although this forum seems to be devoted to PP exclusively, and if you mention another vendor people attack you.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

alice87|1389122431|3588339 said:
But - why should I have personal help in such a small company???

Personal help is a good thing, not a negative! There is so much variation in pearls that personal attention helps to ensure that you get what you want, hence fewer returns.

My questions is why wait 2 weeks for a response from them? And 3 days waiting for a photo? I understand they are busy, but it gets tireding...

Did you phone them or go on Live Chat? I think you will get a quicker response than by emailing. Of course,there are times when they are away-- on a shopping trip etc-- and then it may take longer to get a reply.

... they are not the only vendors out here, although this forum seems to be devoted to PP exclusively, and if you mention another vendor people attack you.

Alice, I think you have had a few unfortunate experiences and these have (naturally) colored your view of PP. So be it-- there are lots more good vendors to buy from, and I don't see anyone being attacked for mentioning them! There are whole threads with gorgeous photos of CC's pearls, for example. However, the various vendors do carry different product lines and they are not interchangeable. Someone wanting CC's type product will not look at PP or POJ for the same thing, and vice versa.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results