shape
carat
color
clarity

Disappointed: Numerous PS search diamonds turning out ''UNAVAILABLE'' upon inquiry with dealers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

niceguymr

Rough_Rock
I'm a bit disappointed b/c now I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on this diamond purchase from an online vendor and each and every stone that I've found through PS that I've wanted (Actually, there's only 4 so far that met my VERY specific search criteria) have turned out unavailable. Of course, they happen to be the best deals that I could find, so it begs me to question why? Also, it makes me wonder if and when there may be more just like the ones that I want and that I just have to be patient, and if so, how patient should I be?

(and before anyone asks me for specs on what I'm looking for, understand that I've searched exhaustively and already checked a few from WF, ERD, UD, and DZ and the ones that were listed on the PS search were no longer available)

This really sucks b/c there was a few diamonds I found today on the PS search that I would have happily paid for today had they been available.

Agent3Civ

Shiny_Rock
Well I know that good diamonds don''t last fast. Especially ones that are good deals. I would say keep looking and when you find the one, at least put it on hold from the vendor. Best of luck trying to find that perfect one.

ELL

Rough_Rock
What are you looking for? Price range? Size? etc.
33.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
this would be not surprising if you are searching virtual inventory. those lists are not ''live''. if you want to be sure a diamond is available for immediate purchase, stick with searching ''in house'' or by ''cut quality''.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
let''s see, let me count the ways:

mothers'' day
graduations
spring is in the air, love abounds and engagement announcements just don''t seem to stop
weddings

all the above mean this is a very very busy season for the jewelry trade. as in all things there are business cycles even within the jewel trade.....christmas is another. however, don''t despair: inventories are always updated, stones get rejected [even very good stones] because they don''t ''speak'' to the eye of the beholder, etc. keep looking. let a vendor or vendors know what you are looking for and ask them to search for you.

movie zombie

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not only that, but by all means go to the individual vendor sites!!! Many of them do not list all their stones on the PS listing! We got a great diamond, just certified, on Dimend Scassi last week, and they don''t seem to list their diamonds that search feature. Of course, that was good for me as not everyone was pulling up that stone and I was able to get it!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
The diamonds you've located may be ones on the virtual list that have not been turned off. For that matter, sometimes the same diamond is listed multiple times. Have you tried the PS search "In-House" feature?

If you have already done this and you're still having little luck, you might try phoning a few vendors and asking them to estimate how long it may take to find what you're looking for.

Edited to add: Well, as I was composing this 3 more replies appeared. All good advice. Anyway, enjoy the graphic.
2.gif

PSInHouseGraphic.jpg

niceguymr

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/2/2006 5:57:58 PM
Author: ELL
33.gif
I was trying to avoid this (read original post), but here goes...

1.45 - 1.5 Ct
Round BC - Ideal Cut
F or better
SI1 or better
Table 52 - 60
Depth 58 - 62.99
VG/VG or better
No culet
No Flour

around $9K

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, we just bought an H VS2, 1.44 cts, hearts and arrows for $9600 or so from Dimend Scassi. And I have looked and looked at the 1.4 to 1.5 range for months. The last WhiteFlash stones I was interested in were G VS1-VS2''s at 1.36 and 1.49 and they were around $11,700 and over $13,000 (and gone faster than I could decide!). So I would just realistically tell you that you probably aren''t going to find an ideal cut F just under 1.5 carats for $9,000.

Just FYI, Dimend Scassi had two more H VS1''s listed around 1.4 cts (one was 1.39) at around $10,000 or so. That size range is very desirable since it is just under the 1.5 price jump.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2006 6:05:39 PM
Author: niceguymr

1.45 - 1.5 Ct
Round BC - Ideal Cut
F or better
SI1 or better
Table 52 - 60
Depth 58 - 62.99
VG/VG or better
No culet
No Flour

around $9K
The 1.45-1.50 is going to limit you some. Manufacturers plan rough to make certain weights and 1.5 is a concrete price point. Many pieces of unpolished that could finish as a 1.47 'Cherry' proportioned Ideal can instead be left with a thicker girdle or steeper/deeper angles to finish as a near-ideal or non-ideal, at or above 1.50 cts: That way the manufacturer 'saves the weight' and the price point. This is especially true in colorless grades, as those diamonds can sell for a high color premium in a market where cut is not such a consideration. If you extend your accepted carat weight up to 1.55 you'll likely see more candidates - especially in this market where cut is a consideration - but you will have to consider the pricing.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I think I can see the problem ... you''re looking for a VERY VERY popular set of parameters & at a tight price point for those parameters. Not that it''s not doable -- but it may be one of those things where it takes a bit of "being in the right place at the right time" to get ALL that at that price ...

Ya could look for 1.3 ish with nice spreads? Or consider stones with a bit of flour (many like it) ...

John''s tip about the "in-house" search is a good one too --- I might also try developing a relationship with a particular vendor/salesperson who can be your eyes & ears in the market. Mark T. at ERD is right in the Diamond District in NYC - & can see a lot within one block of his office. Whiteflash also seems to have a turnover of stones, which means more coming in regularly.

Keep us posted ... telling us the specs helps (even though ya didn''t want to). If one of us diamond stalkers comes across something good we can post it for you to check out. It takes a village ...
31.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2006 6:05:39 PM
Author: niceguymr
Date: 5/2/2006 5:57:58 PM

Author: ELL

33.gif

1.45 - 1.5 Ct

Round BC - Ideal Cut

F or better

SI1 or better

Table 52 - 60

Depth 58 - 62.99

VG/VG or better

No culet

No Flour

around $9K

You and 500 other people that are trying to avoid the 1.5ct jump.
They get snapped up fast when they do show up if they are well cut.
Contact a couple vendors and get on the waiting list or expland your seach up and down in ct size.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results