shape
carat
color
clarity

Disappointed in new camera - Pics of Stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I am pretty disappointed in my new camera. I got a Canon SD880IS to replace my SD870IS that got destroyed. It's suppose to be almost the same camera but the colors on my new cameras are not as good. The old one represents greens, pinks, and oranges much more accurately. At least, purples look accurate. Anyone got recommendations for a better point and shoot? I was thinking of getting the Panasonic LX3 instead.

Anyways, wanted to share photos of some of the stones I received over the past few weeks.

For those who want to know what the stones are:
Left to Right
Green Row: 1.34ct Tsavorite, 1.76ct Tsavorite, 1.03ct Tourmaline, 1.87ct Tourmaline, 1.80ct Peridot
Orange Row: All Garnets - 5.45ct Cab Spess, 1.5ct Spess, 1.97ct Spess, 2.39ct Spess
Red Row: 2.75ct Rhodlite Pair, 3.06ct Rhodlite Pair, 0.84ct Sapphire

Charmy-VariousStonesJune27.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
These stones were more accurate in color.

Left to Right
2.75ct Zandrite
3.06ct Rhodlite Pair (Seen above)
5.93ct Amethyst

Charmy-VariousStonesJune27-2.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
This is closer to the true color of the Tsavorite above. Too bad the photo was so bad.

Charmy-TsavRightColor.jpg

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Charmy, I think your pics are lovely - sorry you''re not happy with your camera, though. I''ve got an old Canon SD1000, and I''m able to change the color settings (vivid, neutral, etc.) - can you do that on yours? Keep the pics coming anyway - I''d love to see more!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Charmy - Gorgeous stones, your pictures look lovely, sorry you''re disappointed with new camera, maybe it just takes some time getting used to it and all the setting choices? I love the zandrite stone great colors coming from that one

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Love the stones and the pics...well done

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Charmy,

Thanks for taking the time for this photo shoot. Beautiful eye candy!!!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Charmy- I think the photos are pretty nice, but it''s too bad you do like the camera as much as your old one! I cannot be too much help though, because I have a DSLR. My sister''s sony p&s takes great stone pics, though.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The photos are pretty!! I love how the orange came out on the spessartites (it''s so hard to photograph orange) and the tsavorite cushion has really nice color to it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought the colours look pretty good in the pictures...
33.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The photos look good to me. Pretty stones.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone. I think the photos are good but not the exact hue of the stones. I found with my old camera .. it captures colors very accurately.

I am putting myself on a buying freeze. Just one more nice round and that''s it!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I am having the same issue with my Cannon, TL suggestion a point and shoot Nikon, not that I can just drop money on a camera only for gemstones, but maybe in the future...

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
me too. my old sd550 captured colors much better than my new sd770. maybe I''ll break down and read the manual and that will reveal some insight, but I''m not too hopeful...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/28/2009 10:14:57 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
Thanks everyone. I think the photos are good but not the exact hue of the stones. I found with my old camera .. it captures colors very accurately.

I am putting myself on a buying freeze. Just one more nice round and that''s it!
Uh huh...and that''s what many have said before here in CS.
11.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
The pictures actually look pretty good color-wise, but then I don''t know the true color of these little beauties. Try messing with the color settings - I find that Vivid usually produces the best color in gemstones.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Buying freeze sucks....I know!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ha!! That''s what we all say!!
11.gif

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/29/2009 9:34:21 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Ha!! That''s what we all say!!
11.gif
yeah, I remember declaring that once or twice...!

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

It''s all about light. It''s true that some gem colors are very difficult to capture with digital imaging and that color sensors differ between cameras -- greens, blues and some yellows are difficult for my Nikon. But I find that careful white-balancing and experimenting with different types of lighting can often get the job done. Gem photography is not easy!

Richard M.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
So pretty! That little pink sapphire looks like a pad! Is there a separate thread on that one, or close ups? All are gorgeous though!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous stones! Hope you figure out how to portray the color more accurately, but I think they look great!
36.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no “tricks” on how to get the accurate colour to show except to take a ton of pictures and post the true ones.
39.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do what Chrono does. You have a lovely just lovely collection of colored stones. TFS!!!

Date: 6/29/2009 4:05:17 PM
Author: Chrono
I have no “tricks” on how to get the accurate colour to show except to take a ton of pictures and post the true ones.
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results