shape
carat
color
clarity

DirtCheap Diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Steve

Rough_Rock
Is this too good to be true? The prices on dirtcheapdiamonds.com seem excellent. Whats the catch? How do I know I'm getting the same diamond in the mail that I ordered? If I wire them the money, can't they take the money and say they've never heard of me when I call to ask where my diamond is?

thanks,
-skeptic

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
this board for dirtcheap to see feedbacks. You should be ok with Jim :)[/u]

Steve

Rough_Rock
There are a lot of positive comments! I'm becoming more confident in my decision. One more question though, say I order a .7 GIA cert F VS2 for $3000, and they send me a diamond. If I don't like it and decide to send it back are there any safeguards to keep them from denying the diamond I sent back was the right one? Couldn't they just say "You can't send this back because its not the one we sent you." ?

Thanks

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
if you'll return the same stone within money back period you should be ok.

Check their return policy to see whether you feel comfortable with it. Don't hesitate to address your concerns to the vendor.

Steve

Rough_Rock
I'm getting more comfortable with them, and I'll ask them this question too next time I talk with them. But if I return a diamond can't they just say "This isn't the diamond we sold you, we won't take it back." ?

I know I'm being paranoid, but this is an expensive invenstment. I want to be cautious.

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Steve,

This is Jim Schultz, owner of Dirt Cheap Diamonds Inc.

If you're concerned about making a purchase through an online company like ourself, then you may want to consider using the services of an independant appraiser. You could arrange to have the diamond sent directly to them first, where they would then confirm the diamond matches the certificate. This will add a small cost to your total transaction, but in the long run a $100 or so is well worth a good nights sleep! There are many appraisers across this country that do an excellent job of checking stones, so I'm sure you can find someone who best fits your needs.

If you need any more assurances or help please feel free to give our office a call and ask for me directly.

Sincerely,

Jim Schultz

jamesd

Shiny_Rock
Jim gave an excellent solution. Shipping the diamond to an independent appraiser protects both you and him from problems and gives you a convenient double-check on the description as well as the opportunity to ask a pro who is working for you what they thing of the quality of the diamond.

Steve

Rough_Rock
I've decided to go in and look at some, since I live about 2 hours away.

If I ship to an independant appraiser, am I required to buy?
If I pick out out while I'm there, I probably should still buy it by wiring the money (to avoid Maryland taxes).

I suppose there is no way to completely secure the transaction so that no one is at risk. I just want to eliminate as much risk as possible.
:bigsmile:

jamesd

Shiny_Rock
Jim will have to confirm it to but no, the chance of you being required to buy just for shipping to an appraiser is minimal. Do watch out for restocking fees, though. I don't know Jim's policy but it's probably reasonable enough - he gets lots of good feedback.

What to watch out for from less reputable vendors, particularly the likes of many on EBay, is return policies which charge you more in fees than the normal profit margin on the diamond, rewarding the vendor for shipping you inaccurately described goods which you want to return. Or, perhaps worse, some who have policies which say returns only if more than two grades different and then describe the diamond as at least one grade off what it really is.

The reputable people know that grades are a matter of opinion sometimes and will probably just offer you another diamond to make sure that you're happy with what you're getting. Or will adjust the price to match whatever the mutually agreed on grade is, whichever sems best to them berring in mind the situation. People like Jim make money with happy customers, not trying to make you keep something you don't want.

Nothing here is a spcific comment on what Jim will do - for that you must ask him - but it's some idea of what to expect as the difference between how the good vendors and the less good (which you won't find recomended here) will handle things. The good want happy customers and work at it.

Plenty of other good vendors around, so other vendors needn't feel left out just because I didn't mention them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results