shape
carat
color
clarity

Direction Please !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lee

Rough_Rock
OK OK I give in!

I have recently reached that point in life where I need to purchase an engagement ring. So I looked around in the normal retail outlets but wanted something more personal. I studied geology and have always had an interest in gems so started looking into diamonds in greater detail. The phrase a little knowledge is dangerous springs to mind at this point. I thought that my requirements were quite straightforward but the more I looked the more confused I became. What I basically want is a two-carat stone, icy white diamond that you need sunglasses to look at because it sparkles so much. At first I thought well it will have to be a VVS or IF D colour, then I learn the cut is more important so into the equation comes superb cert, hearts and arrows, eightstar etc etc etc. So then colour if the stone is going in a platinum setting and worn everyday will a D colour look any different to G colour? The clarity same scenario do you need IF/VVS or will SI1 look just as good in a ring only looked at by the naked eye. With such a broad spectrum of choices the price changes wildly. So I want to meet all my above requirements for the least amount of money so guidance would be very much appreciated. Also I live in the UK so is it better to get it here or New York or South Africa or Dubai or Amsterdam, I am fortunate enough that I travel a lot so could get it from most places. So as you can see my head is spinning and I am in total confusion!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Lee and welcome to the forum :)

I think might look at D-F (or even G is still very white) color diamond but go down to eye clean VS2-SI1 clarity. There is no reason to buy IF-VVS clarity stone unless you are going to look at it with a loupe all the time :)

Re: cut. I think it is much easier and less expensive to buy well cut stone in the internet. There are plenty of ideal, H&A, and just very good cut stones available.

Regarding UK, do a search (
search.icon.gif
) on this board using keywords UK and London to see what other people posted about it.

Basically, you can order a diamond via the internet and then pick it up in the States (e.g. New York).

:)

Lee

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that info.

Any views on which cut would give the most sparkle ? ie eightstar, h&a, superbcert etc etc

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, Lee, there is no single answer to your question. "Most sparkle" is very subjective thing. Depends on the particular observer.

Ideally you have to look and compare yourself. :)

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Lee,

This is not an absolute answer; opinions can vary and do.

You say sparkle so I'll break it down to what *most* people have agreed upon and I agree as well. I sell H&As, Eightstars, and off makes as well.

H&A diamonds tend to have smaller flashes of colored light and more white light return. Eightstar tends to have very bold flashes of color and less of the white light return. The non-ideal cut diamonds can have very similar results, though you would have to be very picky to find diamonds that consistently demonstrate these optical qualities and in most cases you would lose the superior symmetry.

Hope this helps some.

Btw: I would say a super cut, in F to G color and maybe an SI1 (but be careful in this size diamond) up to a VS1 and you would be very happy.(at least I think so).

Lee

Rough_Rock
If you have anything a bit special at the moment could you Email me with a price or let me know and I will call. When I say a bit special you know from time to time you get a stone that seems to have loads of fire more than usual or it is an SI2 but the imperfections are located so that even with a loop you would be hard pushed to see them once mounted. That sort of thing. Please keep me in mind if something like that appears in your collection.

barry

Shiny_Rock
Lee;

If you are going with a platinum setting and a
Super-Ideal Cut such as SuperbCert, you can readily go to a G-H color
without any problem.

Clarity is really your personal choice.

Best of luck!

Barry
www.superbcert.com
"When Good Isn't Good Enough"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results