shape
carat
color
clarity

Direct light and dim light, and cut and brilliancescope?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Puck

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I''ve read quite a few discussions here on the positives and negatives of the BrillianceScope. I read one post where someone suggested the BrillianceScope is only testing direct light and that dim or grey light might be different.

Does anybody have any opinions or factual information on the differences between diamonds seen in direct light and dim light that the BrillianceScope rates highly? -- Or on how less intense light changes a cut''s effectiveness in general? I am unaware if the designs of HCA, Ideal-Scope, FireScope, LightScope, etc. note differences that occur in dim light, so maybe this is not a complicated topic. I''m no expert, so please let me know if I''ve missed something.

Obviously in many rooms or on a cloudy day there may not be "direct" or bright light on the diamond. Is this a no-brainer -- in a dim room, does a "better" cut always look "better"?
(from these forums it is obvious that what''s "better" in a cut and even what''s better in a look is not always agreed upon)

Would scintillation be less important then? In dim light, could dim little flashes have less effect than an occasional broader flash?
What about brilliance in dim light?
What about fire in dim light?

Hoping for simple answers, noticed they don''t always exist around here.
1.gif

Thanks for any help you might have -- I''m interested in buying soon, and just wanted a little more information.

By the way, thank you leonid for providing a place for the average diamond buyer find out information from people who have the experience.

Eric

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
The B scope has adopted a STANDARD for the tests it does.

Light entry, angles, intensity and type of light source can vary dramatically.

But since all stones put in the machine are analyzed with identical "settings", the results are legitmately comparable.

Brilliance Scope reports now must be sumitted to Gemex for approval before publishing them

As for dim light.

Take a really well cut diamond, and maybe one that is average....Put them both in a dark room and compare the scintillation and all around light return using a match or candle.

Move your head, the light source or the diamond, and the difference will become quite obvious.

As you know, jewelry stores use turbo charged high "horsepower" lighting to help make the stones look "better" that they are selling. As such, it becomes equally notable to compare good and bad stones, starving the diamond for light. If it still performs well, it demonstrates how efficiently it performs.

Rockdoc

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Hi Eric,/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

As one familiar with the equipment and with a lot of experience with super ideals I’ll answer your questions one at time and attempt to keep it as simple as possible.You do have quite a few questions here. My responses will be bulleted.

/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Hi,
I've read quite a few discussions here on the positives and negatives of the BrillianceScope. I read one post where someone suggested the BrillianceScope is only testing direct light and that dim or grey light might be different./www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

• This is correct.The BrillianceScope is testing the diamond in what would be considered direct light conditions.Direct light conditions really show off diamonds that have excellent light return and bring out the aspects of “fire & scintillation” more than anything within a diamond.

Does anybody have any opinions or factual information on the differences between diamonds seen in direct light and dim light that the BrillianceScope rates highly? /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

·Yes and I try to demonstrate that with graphics that I have on the following page. http://www.goodoldgold.com/hearts_and_arrows.htmTowards the bottom of this page I have taken some of the best pictures I could of top H&A diamonds under both direct light conditions and diffuse (or softer) light conditions.When it comes to optical cut grading there are 2 primary features I look out for.Light return/leakage and 3 dimensional symmetry.Strong light return provides optical benefits BEST in direct light conditions.3 dimensional symmetry is flattered most in diffuse light conditions.The person who opts for top of the line cut quality has much to gain in every light condition.There are diamonds on the market that have very good light return but poor 3d symmetry and vice versa.Then there are those diamonds that have the best of both worlds./www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Or on how less intense light changes a cut's effectiveness in general? I am unaware if the designs of HCA, Ideal-Scope, FireScope, LightScope, etc. note differences that occur in dim light, so maybe this is not a complicated topic. I'm no expert, so please let me know if I've missed something./www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

nWell … if you really get down to it you can have soft direct light (not so intense) and then just plain ol diffuse light.In the diffuse light condition (ie. Overcast day) you can see the optical or 3d symmetry without the use of a scope.It becomes a standard of excellence that is engrained in the mind of the person who’s wearing it.Over time, even if they don’t see it right away, they eventually will and that woman would be able to pick out her diamond from amongst a bunch./www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Obviously in many rooms or on a cloudy day there may not be "direct" or bright light on the diamond. Is this a no-brainer -- in a dim room, does a "better" cut always look "better"?/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

nABSOLUTELY IT IS BETTER. The person who says otherwise reveals their lack of experience with these cut qualities.I demonstrate this to my clients who come to the store on a daily basis and the difference is seen very easy in the diffuse light condition.As easy as the graphic on the page I linked you to above./www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

(from these forums it is obvious that what's "better" in a cut and even what's better in a look is not always agreed upon)

Would scintillation be less important then? In dim light, could dim little flashes have less effect than an occasional broader flash?/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

nNo./www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

What about brilliance in dim light?
What about fire in dim light?/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

nOne thing you have to keep in mind Eric.The stronger the light source the more the diamond will act in it’s role as a prism. For example if you take a diamond (an outstanding one) in strong direct light (5800 kelvin) you’re going to get bursts of rainbows like you’ve never seen.When you combine a diamond with incredible, intense light return (ie. Saturated with rich dark reds throughout & under the table and a great combination of blacks as observed under the LightScope) that stone will SIZZLE and POP and the fire will be amazing.Now … turn down the intensity of the light or bring it into a softer light condition … where you once saw rainbows you’ll now see reflections of white from within the diamond./www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Hoping for simple answers, noticed they don't always exist around here. /www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]referrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600">/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]ath o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f">/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]ath>

nHope that was simple enough for ya. J

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Thanks for any help you might have -- I'm interested in buying soon, and just wanted a little more information.

By the way, thank you leonid for providing a place for the average diamond buyer find out information from people who have the experience.

Eric/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>/www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/3.gif[/img]>

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results