shape
carat
color
clarity

Dining table -- do you keep the leaf in?

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is a very random question but I'm curious about something.

My parents just had their rectangular cherry dining table refinished. When it was returned, the guy told my mom not to keep the leaf in unless needed. He said that the leaf would put more stress on the rest of the table and the legs. I had never heard of that before. It made me think of our own square rubberwood dining table. We have a split leaf (if that makes sense). I had purposely set it up with the leaf in because it helps fill out the room, I like the shape with the leaf in, and I thought having the leaf in would make the table "wear" more evenly. Apparently that's a myth. That's what my mom thought too before she was corrected by the guy who refinished her table.

What do you do?

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I would keep the leaf in the table for the following reasons:

1. a stored leaf doesn't age at the same rate as the rest of the table.
2. the table color may change over time with sunlight hitting it and the leaf and table may no longer match. That is why if you keep anything on the table change it up or at least move it around occasionally (take the table runner off once in a while)
3. If you don't store the leaf properly (upright instead of flat) it could possibly warp or bow

Oh, and another warning, never store your leaf in the basement where it tends to be damp. It will warp. I

I have 2 leaves for my table and at times will have one or both in so that the wood ages/lightens the same. My leaves are also stored inside the table so they are in the same environment. And finally if you wax or oil your table, do not forget to wax or oil the leaves.

And yes, if the room looks better with the leaf in the table, by all means, keep it in.

IdLikeToBuyAVal

Shiny_Rock
We have a counter height square table and we always keep the leaf in. I'm a little worried about it now though! I've never heard that it causes stress on the table but I guess I could see how this could be true. I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks about this.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
IdLikeToBuyAVal|1298659774|2859402 said:
We have a counter height square table and we always keep the leaf in. I'm a little worried about it now though! I've never heard that it causes stress on the table but I guess I could see how this could be true. I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks about this.

My mother kept her leaf in for over 50 years. My father made their dining room set (solid wood) and it still looks the same after all these years. It was in climate controlled storage for a short time and is now in our family vacation home.

Depending on the wood and the structure of the table ( if parts of the table are real wood and other parts, particle board with a laminate anything is possible, but legs on a table are usually solid wood so that it can support the weight not only of the table, but whatever you place on the table. Also, some woods are softer than others and this should also be taken into consideration)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Mother had the problem that soocool is talking about. She didnt keep the leaf in and after 10+ years the leaf is a different
color than the table (very noticable).

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our leaf is under our bed but that's because of lack of space. Our dining room is pretty small. When we move, we'll probably put the leaf back in b/c with a family of four, we don't have enough room to add decorative stuff in the center.

Our previous table had two leafs (very long antique table) and IIRC we kept one in.

I haven't heard about the stress on the tables, but then again, I probably wouldn't care because we usually change our table every couple of years.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I threadjack, Zoe? We are getting our first all wood (mahogany *swoooon*) dining table. And it needs to have a table pad on it. Do you ladies use table pads? If so, do you have a table cloth over it??

I get that I need to maintain this table, but what good is a beautiful solid wood table when it's perpetually covered under fabric?? :confused: :nono: :(sad

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
We keep the leaves in (our table has two) for the same reasons everyone else has posted.

Kama- We did not get a table pad and wish we did. We would have kept the table pad on except when actually using the table. We didn't realize at the time how much we would use the dining room table for other things (i.e., DH sometimes works on it, the kids are currently playing chess on it, I put shopping bands on it, etc). We are going to get a new table at some point and will get a table pad next time!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends on how the leaf is supported, how the entire table is designed. Center leaf, support on both side and with significant lock overlap, should be more enduring than a side leaf with less lock overlap, assuming same wood, conditions, usage, etc...

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
Not sure why would he say that. Pushing a table on carpet might do the trick, but a table with a nice apron should not have a problem supporting a permanent leaf or two for decades. I agree with the ladies regarding coloration and humidity, you want to insure the table and leaf expand and contract at the same rate [same room] so they will always fit together. Just gave my mother's table to a friend as the leaf had to be discarded. Lesson learned :errrr:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ours has been in since we bought it 10 years ago. It's a small table w/out it so we just leave it in.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our old table had a leaf and we kept it in on and off for about 7 years. No issues. The new table has 2 leaves, we store them inside as it's very big without either leaf anyway. It's very dark stained wood though so we'll have to keep an eye on aging.

For us though we'd prob only keep our set 10 years max anyway just because tastes change, so even if the leaf DOES cause strain over time, it wouldn't bother me.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
soocool|1298659611|2859398 said:

2. the table color may change over time with sunlight hitting it and the leaf and table may no longer match. That is why if you keep anything on the table change it up or at least move it around occasionally (take the table runner off once in a while)
3. If you don't store the leaf properly (upright instead of flat) it could possibly warp or bowOh, and another warning, never store your leaf in the basement where it tends to be damp. It will warp. I

I have 2 leaves for my table and at times will have one or both in so that the wood ages/lightens the same. My leaves are also stored inside the table so they are in the same environment. And finally if you wax or oil your table, do not forget to wax or oil the leaves.

And yes, if the room looks better with the leaf in the table, by all means, keep it in.

Hmm. I have two leaves for my dining room table and store both because the room isn't big enough for two leaves and the table is big enough without them. I was told to store the leaves flat NOT upright because they could warp. Not sure what to think now.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
kama_s|1298664006|2859469 said:
Can I threadjack, Zoe? We are getting our first all wood (mahogany *swoooon*) dining table. And it needs to have a table pad on it. Do you ladies use table pads? If so, do you have a table cloth over it??

I get that I need to maintain this table, but what good is a beautiful solid wood table when it's perpetually covered under fabric?? :confused: :nono: :(sad

In my parents house the have a very nice Mahogany Dining table. The got a custom made glass cover. It keeps the wood safe, and you can still see it.

eta. They had it custom made. And don't regret it ;-)

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My table has 2 leaf's I keep 1 in all the time and only put the other one in when we are having alot of people over for dinner.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Cind11|1298668074|2859516 said:

3. If you don't store the leaf properly (upright instead of flat) it could possibly warp or bowOh, and another warning, never store your leaf in the basement where it tends to be damp. It will warp. I

Hmm. I have two leaves for my dining room table and store both because the room isn't big enough for two leaves and the table is big enough without them. I was told to store the leaves flat NOT upright because they could warp. Not sure what to think now.

sorry I meant that the leaves should be stored flat and not upright (I should proofread my stuff first)

soocool

Ideal_Rock
kama_s|1298664006|2859469 said:

I have a table pad (also pads for the individual leaves when I need them and a pad for the side board (I only use them when I have company and will be placing hot plates, servers on the table. Plus I don't need anyone spilling something acidic that will eat the finish.
My sister keeps her table pad on all the time and has several beautiful tablecloths that she switches around.

I got my table pad made here: http://www.pioneertablepads.com/

If you get a table pad and store them until you use them, make sure you store them flat as well.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, I guess this wasn't so random after all, considering the replies. Thanks everyone! :bigsmile:

Does anyone know the durability of rubberwood? It sounds like a cheap wood (the table wasn't too expensive) but it's exactly what we wanted, and I love the dark color and the simplicity of the design/style.

Soocool -- the leaf in our table folds into the table so there's no need to store it elsewhere. The reasons you listed to keep the leaf in are the exact same ones I had as well.

Kama -- A mahogany table sounds nice. We don't use a table pad or a table cloth on ours because I don't want to cover it up. We actually use our table more as an office space than a place to eat. We do make sure to put a book, place mat, or a stack of papers or something underneath whatever we're writing on because I'm nervous that the table will get markings on it. Maybe I'm paranoid.

Stone-Cold -- our leaf is in the center of the table and there are a few locks underneath. It's a split leaf though -- right down the middle. I'm not sure if that makes sense. It's not supported by a wooden bar like many tables with side leaves have.

Ninna -- That's too bad that you had to get rid of the leaf on your mom's table.

Mara -- I remember the pics you posted of your table. I really like it.

Lady Blue -- We did that for our living room set because our cats' claws got to the tables and scratched them at some point. The glass does help, and now we don't need to use coasters.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
I take the leaf out. Our table is round without the leaf, and I prefer the round look over the cushion/oval look.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cookie|1298673542|2859589 said:
I take the leaf out. Our table is round without the leaf, and I prefer the round look over the cushion/oval look.

LOL- Only on PS would you refer to a round table with a leaf as being "cushion" shaped!

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
VRBeauty|1298674298|2859598 said:
Cookie|1298673542|2859589 said:

LOL- Only on PS would you refer to a round table with a leaf as being "cushion" shaped!

LOL - I could not think of another proper word!

April20

Ideal_Rock

1. a stored leaf doesn't age at the same rate as the rest of the table
3. If you don't store the leaf properly (upright instead of flat) it could possibly warp or bow

Oh, and another warning, never store your leaf in the basement where it tends to be damp. It will warp. II have 2 leaves for my table and at times will have one or both in so that the wood ages/lightens the same. My leaves are also stored inside the table so they are in the same environment. And finally if you wax or oil your table, do not forget to wax or oil the leaves.

I learned these lessons the hard way. Mine warped slightly. My table is black- conditioned, not stained- and since the leaf isn't in, it doesn't get the wear that the rest does. It's very obviously different when it's in. The table didn't fit easily in the last dining room with the leaf in, hence the basement storage.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't, but I rarely need it... my table is 72" long without the leaf (one 18" leaf)... 90 with it. The room is more comfortable without it in there but when we had a small round table we'd outgrown, we kept the two leaves in all the time without issue. Maybe the *type* of leaf... you know, ones on the outside vs inside or whatever... may make a difference? Our table here in China has no leaves, it's just 72" long but solid.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My dining room would not accomodate my table with two leafs in it! Come to think of it, I don't know if I've had any of them in. Monster table as is.

cheers--Sharon

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the guy's advice to my mom didn't sound right. I'll keep the leaf in.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results