shape
carat
color
clarity

Dilemma: use .05 or .06 diamonds in my halo

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
I'm having a Daussi-inspired ring made and I'm having a hard time figuring out which size diamonds to use in my halo. My stone is a 7.41 x5.62 radiant. I don't want to overpower my stone but at the same time I'd like them to represent themselves nicely as they do in Daussi's rings.

I saw a 2.01 diamond with 2.5mm stones in a DBL ring and it looked awesome--but my stone is smaller so I worry it won't look balanced

If you have a similar halo, please post and let me know the size of your halo stones and finger size if you don't mind.

Thank you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post a picture of a ring similar to what you want? I think most here use much smaller stones that 5-6 points.

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
Sure--the first three are some inspiration photos albeit they are cushion center stones and mine is rectangular radiant.

_3893.jpeg

_1195.png

_3894.jpeg

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
And here are the renderings my jeweler sent me:

_3895.jpeg

_3896.jpeg

_3897.jpeg

_3898.jpeg

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
More inspiration photos. This is a DBL 2.01 carat cushion with 2.5mm stones in the halo.

_1196.png

_1197.png

_1198.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those renderings have way too much metal showing. I am hoping some others who have done custom halos will see the thread. I think you'll need much smaller halo stones than 2.5mm with your size center stone.

I am hoping Gypsy will see this. She has experience with halos.

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
Rings are designed and cast with more metal than needed in the prongs-- they will be filed down during the shaping process once the ring is made. The ring will not have that much metal where the prongs are.

I guess I was looking for people who have or understand Daussi's designs in particular since the halo stones are characteristically chunkier and larger than most halos.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes, I am very familiar with CADs but usually do not see them quite this bulky. We have whole threads on how to make a Harry Winston style halo, but I understand you want larger melee. Hopefully one of the halo experts will see your thread.

Here's one thread with slightly larger halo melee (looks like 1.7mm from the cads):

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-david-klass-teal-tourmaline-ring.220670/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-david-klass-teal-tourmaline-ring.220670/[/URL]

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've tried on Daussi halo rings, some with 2 pt. melee and some with 5 pt. melee and to be honest, it's just a matter of personal preference. I would go by what size stone they used in the shank of the ring. The ones were the side stones are large and slowly graduate down in size look great with 5 pters. The ones with a petite shank, I'd go with the smaller stones. All of the Daussi settings that I've tried are gorgeous. You honestly can't go wrong.

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
Gemgirl--thanks for the reply. My jeweler was initially going to use .03 stones but I asked to bump them up a bit. He did a rendering with .05's then came back and said he thinks .06 would look better. I *think* perhaps he said that because he is graduating the sidestones in the following sizes: .08, .06, .04, .04. Like you said, you want them to be proportional to the sidestones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results