shape
carat
color
clarity

Dilemma...Platinum or Palladium?? Opinions pls..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone,

I would like some opnions on this so that I can advise my mom.

A few years ago pre-PS my dad bought my mom a three stone ring from Costco. It holds 3 princess stones and according to the papers that came with it (EGL I believe) the center is approximately .60ct and the sides are about .25 each.
The setting is yellow gold 14k and the heads are plat I believe. Again according to the cert the diamonds are all I color and VS clarity. I know that being EGL I should expect both the color and clarity to be less than stated but that''s not an issue right now.
My mom likes the ring but would like it set in a white metal and I know it means a lot to her since dad got it for her and she will wear it all the time.

Sorry I don''t have any pictures of it.

So anyway I contacted WF b/c I love them and asked them if they can do a setting for the ring and they agreed that it can be done.

Now here is my dilemma do we get them to make the setting in Platinum or in Palladium since I asked and they do work with Palladium.

I''d like to save my parents money and I have heard good things about Palladium and if the look is similar I don''t see why I shouldn''t. WG is out as my mom does have the type of body chemistry that does turn it yellow pretty often and we don''t live close to WF so I can''t just send it to them all the time to be replated and I think it will be a hassle for mom and she''ll just end up not wearing it.

What do you guys think?
Go with Plat or Palladium

I don''t have price quotes for you as I have not been able to speak with my rep yet she has been pretty busy but I will add that in later on if I get that information from her today.

Thanks in advance!
21.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
You need to get price quotes. Platinum is so cheap right now that the prices might be really comparable, in which case I'd go with platinum!

ETA: I have both metals, and prefer my platinum. The palladium just has a grayer look that I don't love.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Geckodani loves her palladium you might want to give her a shout out. Sorry but my set is white gold so I''m no help.
35.gif

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Neat good point about the price of plat right now and nice to hear you prefer your plat it gives me some reference. I don''t think mom would like a greyer tone but I''ll ask her.

MMT thanks too about reminding me about gecko hopefully she sees this too.

I still don''t have price quotes but I hear from WF that for Palladium they do have it sent out it isn''t done in house so that''s another vote for plat I think I prefer them to do everything involving the ring I trust them completely.
But according to them their customers who have gone with Palladium are extremely happy with it.

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
bump.

a.Lei

Rough_Rock
I''m interested to know this as well. I''m currently debating whether to go with 18k vs. platinum vs palladium at WF. The ring I want is a $500 difference between the 18k and platinum. I''m hoping the palladium will be somewhere in the middle but I''m still unsure of what metal I want. Please let us know when you find out your quote from WF.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I was at a store and had the opportunity to compare platinum and palladium. I have a strong preference for platinum and would not consider palladium unless the platinum was cost prohibative. I quickly noticed the grey undertones of the palladium and it didn''t appeal to me. Now, I do like gun metal look for various things but this isn''t as dark as the grey in gun metal.

I can''t speak to the durability and other considerations of palladium since I have never owned any.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Durability, short term at least (I''ve had my palladium ring for a year or so) is pretty good. I have to say that my platinum looks better though because it develops a patina (microscratches everywhere) where my palladium has fewer, but bigger, scratches, making them more noticeable IMO.

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/10/2008 9:41:06 AM
Author: neatfreak
Durability, short term at least (I''ve had my palladium ring for a year or so) is pretty good. I have to say that my platinum looks better though because it develops a patina (microscratches everywhere) where my palladium has fewer, but bigger, scratches, making them more noticeable IMO.
Do you know if your ring is 950 palladium or a white gold-palladium alloy? I''ve read on here that the WG-PD alloys tend to look greyer than the 950 PD.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I read a review of a palladium ring at e-weddingbands that said it has to be sent back to e-weddingbands for polishing occasionally. I don't know if that's true but it might be something to ask WF.

I like the color of palladium personally, just not the weight as much.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results