shape
carat
color
clarity

Dilemma help??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone!
35.gif
I''m new here, but have been lurking for a while now. Sorry to pry but I must say that everyone is just so nice
36.gif
!!

Well, I am really hoping that some of you may be able to help me out with my dilemma. I have a 3 stone ering. The center stone is 1.2 carats with two .5 stones on either side. DH said that he would get me a new diamond, but probably not until our 10 yr which is about 2 1/2 years away. Ultimatly that is what I want, but since I am not very patient
9.gif
, I figured I would at least update my wring to hold me off. Now, knowing that I have to be on a budjet I have been scouring the ends of the world for something I want and will not want to replace and thought I found "It" until I went to my jeweler yesterday...

I bought a 5 ctw eband at **cough, cough** overstock.com **cough, cough**. Now I know that it isn''t the most ideal place to buy quality diamonds,lol, but the price was so great I couldn''t resist!! Here''s the problem, it was listed as G,H,I SI but it is clearly an I1 piece and quite franckly some of the feathers worry me as they come across the table into the facets and I don''t think they would need more than one good whack before I had a chip. The diamonds also hang over the setting more than I would like and the shared prongs are too small (one of the diamonds is already spinning). On the plus side my jeweler quoted me his price for the same quality stones with a better setting and it was almost $1,500 MORE so I do know this ring is/was a good deal.

I love the ring, but knowing I love their ring better is driving me nuts! I just hate to spend the extra $$$ when I had another project that I wanted to do...

While I was waiting for my dream ring I also wanted to change my 3 stone ring into a 5 stone ring...1.2 in the center, .75 on either side, ending with the .5''s. This is a bit more pricey to do since I obvioustly don''t have the .75 stones and would need a new setting, but it is doable!

My only problem is I would prefer to have the eband and wear that with only 1 or 2 4mm plain bands for a while...

So that''s my dilemma. Sorry for the suuuper looong post! I was wondering what some of you would do if you were in my position or if anyone had any ideas or pictures of a 5 stone band with those specs. Would you keep this eband because it''s a good deal, spring for the better setting (knowing it will hold off your other project) because it''s what you want, or turn your 3 stone into a 5 stone??? Thoughts, questions, suggestions, I welcome them all
1.gif
1.gif
!!!

I really hope I explained all that correctly, I''ve been racking my brain over and over I think I''ve waay over analyzed it
33.gif

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would send that eband back. It sounds like it''s poor quality, and it ties up some of your "renovation" funds. I love 5 stone rings, so I''d probably look into that. Is your upgrade going to be a solitaire? If that was the case, I''d instead spring for a better quality eband to wear now. I love ebands too.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
SEND IT BACK :) Go for the 5 stone... I could become a nice RHR when you get your upgrade ;-) WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks lyra and woobug! You are both right...the eband that I have must go back. Even though it pains me to give it away, I was sooo close to owning it!! I told you am am very impatient! But in the long run it''s the best thing.

I have been wanting to update my set for a while now. I don''t think I mentioned that it''s yellow gold and my original wband in a .70 channel set eband. I do truely love it but really want something more modern and would like to change to white gold.

The ideal set I have in mind would be the 5 stone band: .5/.75/1.2/.75/.5, 5 ctw eband (because the stones look close to .5 and would match the 5 stone ring well), and a plain wg band for a spacer. The diamond solitaire I would wear as a RHR.
30.gif
30.gif
I''m dreaming and drooling just thinking about it!
3.gif

I''ll try and post some pics of my ering and eband so you can see what I''m talking about but I''ve never done that before. Still haven''t figured out the camera either.

Anybody ever seen a 5 stone band with ctw being .5/.75/1.0/.75/.5?? Please post pics if you have!!!

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
Still trying to post a pic....

eband02.JPG

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
I did it!!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
I am not a technical person and DH usually helps me with these kinds of thing but he is away, lol!!

Anyway, this is my set with the eband I bought. Sorry it is so small. Now that I know how to do it I will post better pics later!!!!!
36.gif

ejsarkar

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I also have a 3 stone YG E-ring and a channel set eternity band and my 10 yr is 2 1/2 years away so I know how the wait seems endless! (I''m hoping to upgrade my 3 stone for 10yr to a larger 3 stone.. same style. And I should clarify that I wear the 3 stone with a plain band and the eternity as RHR, sometimes with plain bands on either side. I''ve agonized over whether to change to WG but my husband can''t get his wedding band off and would never cut it and I don''t want to have different colors..)

Your set is gorgeous! I love the proportions of your 3 stone!

My two comments are:

1. your 3 stone already seems to take up a lot of space on your finger. I''d be worried that a 5 stone with the sizes you mentioned would be too big (too wide across) and might "hang" off the side of your finger a bit". But, graduated 5-stones are really beautiful-- I posted a question recently about them here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/5-stone-graduated-rings-with-interesting-galleries.70530/

2. just my humble opinion but the 5ctw eband seems to compete a bit with your 3 stone and then if you wore a 5 stone with the 5ctw eband, I think they would compete even more. I think the solitare with the eband would be gorgeous..

Can''t wait to see what you decide!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s what I have learned through lots of mistakes...take MrsSalvo''s advice:

"A deal is not a deal unless you get EXACTLY what you want!"

So if you have concerns now about that eternity ring, I can almost guarantee that you''ll regret keeping it later. Save your money and get the best quality you can. I''d rather have a smaller eternity ring of better quality.

I think your three stone ring is gorgeous, and I do not think I would like it as well with two more stones added. I think it will make a lovely right hand ring if you get a new diamond e-ring in 2 years! But in the meantime, I think your e-ring and wedding band are perfectly proportioned. That eternity ring would almost have to be worn alone since it is so large. I understand the desire to change to white gold, though. I did that as well when I got my new diamond e-ring.

Do you have studs or a diamond bracelet? How about a pendant? I wouldn''t spend money on the e-ring now when you know you can get a new ring in a couple of years. You know, you could just get your current rings rhodium plated very inexpensively to change them to white while you wait on the anniversary upgrade!

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ausable, hi diamondseeker
35.gif
! Thank you both for replying! I wanted to take more pictures today before I posted, and was so excited to see the sun come out today, but it was such a busy day and now it''s almost over. I will definitly do it tomorrow now that I''ve figured out how to do it.
31.gif

Ausable, I know what you mean about the eband competing with my other ring, but I really don''t want to traditionally "showcase" my center stone. I think I would really like the look of one really large (and blinged out!!) band, even if it really would be three bands (5 stone, spacer, & eband). It''s hard to tell on the pictures that I took (it was raining
14.gif
) but I do see a lot of gold on the side and it bothers me. I remember when you posted your thread, as I was lurking
9.gif
and hanging off the edge of my seat! There were a couple that I liked, but ultimatly I will want it to match the eband setting.

"A deal is not a deal unless you get EXACTLY what you want!" Diamondseeker, this is so true! Thank you for reminding me!! This is something I don''t want to settle on. I would love a bigger solitaire in the future, with a different cut, but the more and more I keep thinking about this I really want to change this setting. Even if it does mean prolonging a new stone...did I just bump my head
23.gif
...don''t let DH hear!! Two years really does seem like such an eternity away to me though and I think I would drive myself crazy if I didn''t do something about it now, lol. I go to sleep thinking about diamonds and wake up with the same thought!!

DH bought me a .75 pendant for my birthday one year and said we could match it to make earrings down the road. Then he decided to buy me 3 ctw studs because he didn''t want me trying to upgrade them, lol, he knows me too well
31.gif
!! He says I''d put a diamond on my forehead if I could!!! I also wouldn''t use that pendant in the 5 stone either, I chipped it (very small) but am thinking it would be perfect in a halo! Uh oh, I think I feel another project comeing on!! There are just waaaayyyyy to many beautiful halos here to not think about doing it
30.gif
30.gif
!!

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
So the eband is going to have to go back but I thought it would be fun to post a few pics before I send it away, and a few pics of my current set!

This is a profile shot, the ring really is beautiful!

ebandprofile01.JPG

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
This shot shows the sides of my ering that I would like to fill in to make a five stone.

ebandering01.JPG

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
This is my 3/4 pendant, perfect for a halo but not to add to the ering. Of course I would like to place the 3/4''s next to the center stone and the 1/2''s on the other side but it gives an idea of what I would love.

5stoneeband01.JPG

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
I sometimes wear this ring with my current set when I wnat more bling, or choose a different RHR.

3ringeband01.JPG

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
The 3 row band is a 2 ctw eband with the center band being in the center.

sideview3ring01.JPG

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
Last one...hope I didn''t take too many pics! Thank''s for letting me share though. I wish I found this site a looong time ago!!!
35.gif

3ringbling01.JPG

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/22/2007 10:58:36 AM
Author: 777_LDY
The 3 row band is a 2 ctw eband with the center band being in the center.
Whoops! I meant the center band being white gold...duh
41.gif
!!

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
Oh yeah, this pic really shows the diamond hanging of the setting. One good whack and you have a crack
14.gif

onegoodwhack01.JPG

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Wow...your set now really is lovely. I agree about returning the overstock ring, but I''m sure that your eventual upgrade set will make it all worth it!! BTW, you have lovely, dainty-looking hands...I''m so jealous! Can''t wait to see the final product in a couple of years
31.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results