shape
carat
color
clarity

Digital Camera You Love

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

laney

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve had several olympus''s and loved them. They do very well at night, very well low light - flash adquate. I''ve used them for years. Love them.

My latest upgrade (too keep up w/mega pixels) was a sony cybershot T something. It''s very cute and small - and great screen (no viewfinder) - but I wouldn''t reccomend it. Bad low light(unless you switch settings), cumbersome menus, very hard to get used to to hold. - I can do it - but if I give my camera to others - I always have a blurry shot. The flash is very weak.

I found it very hard to get used to the quirks of this camera. That said - it has a GREAT macro mode. But for now, that and it''s size is the only thing I like about it.

:)

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your input. Right now I''m debating how much zoom I need. My frustration comes when I want to take a photo from the audience of one of my kids on stage. I''d like a small camera, but may have to give that up to get zoom and want to find adequate zoom with good image stabilization.

Still reading... :)

Laralooblue

Shiny_Rock
I recently did some research an ended up buying the Kodak EasyShare Z7590. It is 5.0 MP and 10X optical zoom. I wanted a camera that was easy to use, but had enough capabilities to allow me to go from point-and-click to amateur/hobby photographer. So far I''m very happy with it.

Good luck with your search; I know it can be overwhelming!

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks. I''ll look into it. I''ve gone back and forth regarding features and size. At the moment I think I''m back to looking for the best small camera because I''ll carry it all the time and actually use it! I played with a Casio Exilim once and liked it but I see that so many people like Canons that I''m looking carefully at those.

Thanks to Leonid for taking off copyrighted info...wasn''t thinking...brain numb from all this research. For me, this has to be the least fun piece of equipment to research...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm loving that SD550 so far...it's small enough to go in the purse but looks way more powerful with more goodies than my old camera. I am kind of a fun amateur photographer, love taking shots of nature and my Sony is fab for that kind of stuff but its the more detailed things that I am missing.

Think that the photo store would think I was nuts if I went in there and sample photographed my diamond and ring on all the available cameras? The one that takes the best macro shots, low-light shots, and shows the most fire and scint (my Sony camera gets all white light and no fire!! but alj's camera takes almost all fire...isn't that bizarre??) wins my $500 and a place in the house. hahaha.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Love that! LOL

Excellent test, Mara. Check it out and report back! I mean really...to hell with the kids! I need the camera that takes the best diamond photos!
9.gif

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, Mara...check out the new Canon S80 too. XGA movies too

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
I also have a canon S2IS and I think it takes great pics.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
doug, not only do we buy large color gems, we bought the same camera!

peace, movie zombie

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
I am partial to Canon''s, however, Sony''s are very good as well. the only thing I don''t like about the Sony if that you are stuck with the proprietary memory stick and they are usually more expensive than SD or Compact flash memory. I have the SD500 and love the camera, small, great pictures and fast.

If you looking for a better zoom, above 3x, you won''t find it in a compact.

One thing you might want to consider for all you diamond lovers out there, is compare the macro settings on the cameras your interested in. Eventhough one camera might be slightly better all around than another, the lesser one might have a better macro function. That is if you like to take pictures of diamonds and rings
31.gif

DP review is a great site and the place to do the research as is Steve''s.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks again for all your input. At the moment, I''m debating the Canon SD550 and the S80. The others are tempting but as I admitted earlier (to myself and all of you), I probably won''t want to take a normal sized camera with me.

I''m also trying to figure out all I''ll need to go with it. I''m thinking a 1GB card (I like that the idea of a camera that takes SD cards), trying to learn about whether I need a fast one or a regular one, a case of some sort, extra battery? Hmmm....

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/24/2005 7:12:55 PM
Author: lawmax
Thanks again for all your input. At the moment, I''m debating the Canon SD550 and the S80. The others are tempting but as I admitted earlier (to myself and all of you), I probably won''t want to take a normal sized camera with me.

I''m also trying to figure out all I''ll need to go with it. I''m thinking a 1GB card (I like that the idea of a camera that takes SD cards), trying to learn about whether I need a fast one or a regular one, a case of some sort, extra battery? Hmmm....
Canon SD550: • 5cm macro mode (Wide), 30cm (Tele)

Canon S70: 4 cm macro Couldn''t find S80 specs

With respecs to the two you listed, the S80/70/60 etc is a better camera than the SD550. The optics are better and there are many more manual controls that you can do with it than the SD550. Tthe SD550 is essentially more of a point and shoot camera. The S80 is heavier and bigger than the SD550. If your not looking for a lot of manual controls and aren''t a photo junkie then I would stick to the SD550 if you want a small, light point and shoot camera. And if you definitly want a Canon.

As for SD memory, I love it because it is small and somewhat cheap. Ig you go to newegg.com they have some great sales and you can find a high speed card 1GB for cheap. As for speed of the card, if your going to spend the money and get a 1GB card then spend the little extra for the faster read/write card, it make a difference if your taking a lot of pictures in succession.

Good luck

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
MZ I guess great minds think alike. I really like the image stabilization and the 12x zoom not to mention the super macro. It is a kinda big camera but I guess there must be some trade offs for all the features. Regards Doug

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
re the canon S2 IS and its two macro features: i had to compress the original so this isn't as 'pretty', clear, or crisp at the it should be: care for some rutiliated quartz?

peace, movie zombie

Copy of AMM Photos 252.JPG

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yuck! not even close to as nice as the original!

peace,movie zombie

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the photo! I hope the macro on the S80 it good...not so sure I understand all you taught me.

I found a Dell coupon for $60 off the S80 at Dell....so wish they didn''t cut that in half by charging tax.

I have to use the coupon by Wednesday. Hope I''m making the right choice....

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
The S80 looks nice but one statement by a user "Those considering the S80 might want to look at the S70 which is considerably cheaper, has the same lense, uses cheaper memory and allows you to shoot in RAW mode for greater control of your images."

From what I read this is a more advanced point and shoot camera, were as the S70 and below were more manual cameras. If you looking to get into photography I would look to somthing else, of course that is my personal opinion.

I''m sorry but did you ever say what you will typically use the camera for?

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I''m thinking that really good auto is best for me and then I can learn some manual things little by little. I was wondering if the wider lense would be good for taking shots of the kids onstage in groups. I''d like to be able to get shots of them even in sports (no camera may catch them all that well if they won''t stand still). I''d also like a decent macro as I''d like to try some close-up nature shots and then be able to capture some not so close up ones. I''m concerned about comments regarding noise at higher ISO settings.

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/25/2005 11:47:19 AM
Author: lawmax
I''m thinking that really good auto is best for me and then I can learn some manual things little by little. I was wondering if the wider lense would be good for taking shots of the kids onstage in groups. I''d like to be able to get shots of them even in sports (no camera may catch them all that well if they won''t stand still). I''d also like a decent macro as I''d like to try some close-up nature shots and then be able to capture some not so close up ones. I''m concerned about comments regarding noise at higher ISO settings.
Yes, all cameras will have more noise at higher ISO settings. You should decide what size you want (do you want to carry it around a lot), what your uses will be (you''ve stated) and how much you want tot spend.

If you want to use it for sports shots and a lot of wide shots you would best be served with a digital SLR. but they are big and bulky and have manual controls out the wazoo. One good thing though if your an enthusiast, you can change lenses.

The smaller cameras today most have the panoramic feature, where you can take a wide panoramic shot. You can find this feature even on the small point and shoot cameras. And some have better macro settings than others.

My advice would to by one of the smaller point and shoots use it for a few days and see if it satisfies your needs, if not return it and upgrade.

I will attach a macro shot of the diamond I bought my soon to be with my canon SD500 to show you what the macro setting. It isn''t quite as close as the quartz picture but it is still pretty decent

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
This isn''t as close and I could probably moved in closer but the light was good.

macrodiamond.jpg

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Great shot!

I liked the S80 because it was small but a combo. If there is another brand that''s similar but better, I''m interested. I don''t want to buy a camera that uses some unique form of memory.

I don''t want an SLR because it''s too big. The S80 does take other lenses, but no other flash, I believe

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate it.
1.gif

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
thanks!

No problem, I was researching for hours on end before I bought my cameras. The SD500 was perfect for me, great pictures, light and definitly pocketable.

The S80 looks like a nice camera and is a high end point and shoot camera and it has the form and function of an SLR.

I know someone who has the S60 and it is a great camera but it was a little too big and heavy for my tastes.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm...

Well, now you made me think about the size more so I''d better go see if I can handle the S80 and maybe the 550 if I can find them ASAP!!

My best wishes on your almost engagement! She''s a lucky woman!
1.gif

Jr22

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the compliment!
5.gif
1.gif

Well the S70 isn''t that big but if you wnat to carry it around I felt that is was a little big for my tastes, but hte S80 is a little smaller so they say. You can go to Best Buy and they carry all the models. that would be a good thing to do first before you make the decision.

Good luck and let me knwo how you it turns out!

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I thought I''d dig this up for all of you who were so helpful. I bought the Canon SD550 powershot digital elf and it''s really wonderful. I love the size and am learning to use it. It does a great job though one definitely needs photoshop or other software because the canon software that comes with the camera is limited. This photo is basically unedited except for redeye.

IMG_0044.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad you updated this Lawmax...I was still thinking about the 550 and think I may get it either this month or in Jan...maybe I''ll get lucky with a sale.
1.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You asked about a digital camera I love.
I have a digital camera I hate.
Canon PowerShot A520, 4 MB, $240.

It is soooooooooooooo slow.
It takes four seconds from the time you press the shutter to the time it actually takes the picture.
By then the puppy's facial expression is gone.
Drives me crazy.

Then it takes another 8 seconds before it takes the next pic.
Drives me crazy.

It supposedly has a macro mode.
It is aways out of focus and overexposed.
Drive me crazy.

I want a REAL camera again.

I was really into photography years ago.
I have a nice Nikon F3 (their best film camera back in 1982) and lots of lenses and attachments.
I have several Nikkor lenses and this month Nikon is introducing the first new body that is fully compatible with all my lenses.
The D50 and D70 are plastic bodies that I could put my lenses on but then I'd have to use an external light meter and set the exposure manually.

This new D200 is $1700, body only, but is the first digital SLR that takes all my lenses and even takes f-stop settings from the lens and has a depth of field preview button.

It may sound expensive but I paid much more for my lenses and I don't care to throw them away.
It is a metal magnesium body and the resolution is 10.2 megapixels.

Also the CCD is 1/3 smaller than the 35mm frame so you are using only the center of the circle of projected light from these lenses ,, which were designed for 35mm film.
All lenses, even Nikkors distort at their outer edges compared to the center, so my pics will be sharper than ever before.

This is the "prosumer" camera everyone has been waiting for.
Almost all of the sophistication of the D2x at about a third the price.
I put a deposit on mine.
The first deliveries are expected Dec 10th 2005

I realize this camera is overkill for most people.
I just wanted to make the point you should not do what I did.
I bought a cheaper camera before I learned it would eventually be a waste of money.
You get what you pay for.

Nikon D200

nikon site

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m still loving my canon

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
still loving my canon S2 IS. had it with me at hearst castle this past weekend. i''m going to send belle a picture and ask that she compress it for me to fit pricescope criteria and post it here. close ups with this camera are awesome but i managed to get some really good scenery shots.

peace,, movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results